Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
lol another Vancouver fan that is obsessed with toronto. Why are you thinking about leaf’s fans dreams?

Sorry to break it to you but this is also a RIDICULOUS deal. Especially since boston poached lindholm and zadorov from your team, which made them deseperately sign DeBrusk for 7 years.
Dude, you’re posting in a thread about a Canucks player with an avatar that says “Canucks 0 cups”.

If Carlsberg did irony…

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Huh? He has been offered in trade threads by Bruin fans for the past 4 years. Signing a guy who is this streaky for 7 years is hilarious

Being offered in trade threads doesn't mean DeBrusk is bad, it means that the player is redundant and the team has other needs.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The only fans that should be happier than the Canucks are Leaf fans. This guy was a Leaf Killer in the playoffs.

Debrusk is a prime candidate for a breakout season with Petey and Hughes feeding him pucks. I suspect he will have multiple 30 goal years and possibly a 40 goal year for the Canucks during this 7 year contract.

I think Debrusk chose the perfect situation for himself, he can learn lots under Tochett and a guy like JT Miller in regards to what it takes to be a consistent everyday power forward. Tochett did wonders for Dakota Joshua.

This is a fantastic AAV for what he will bring.

Only 27 yrs old as well.

I also dont think it should be overlooked that he is an excellent penalty killer, something the Canucks need more of especially after losing Lindholm.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Do you think that in Debrusk’s 7 seasons in Boston he always played with Zacha/Coyle’s caliber centers? He was in the top 6, not a 4th liner or something.

Well, it's re-assuring in his last season with Bergeron, he had 27 goals/50 points in 64 games

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
IMG_9778.jpeg

apparently GMs do not care AT ALL looking at a player’s stats when it comes to playing in their arena lol.

debrusk’s career stats in Vancouver is… 1 point in 6 games to go along with a -4. lol

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Huh? He has been offered in trade threads by Bruin fans for the past 4 years. Signing a guy who is this streaky for 7 years is hilarious
You know everything that's being said about him by Boston fans is a good indication why he's a 2nd liner who just earned a $5.5M contract rather than a 1st liner like Guentzel/Reinhart getting $9M.

While Canuck fans would rather have the latter considering what was available the criticisms just make it sound like he's being paid appropriately.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
View attachment 891594

apparently GMs do not care AT ALL looking at a player’s stats when it comes to playing in their arena lol.

debrusk’s career stats in Vancouver is… 1 point in 6 games to go along with a -4. lol
What a strange, pathetic flex….I see the Bluejackets picked up Jack Johnson…great move…..that will make them relevant……

Last edited:

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I'm thinking he will be the 4th forward on PP1. Down low, battling in the corners, and around the nets screening, while looking for tips and rebounds.

Kuzmenko was used last year as the net front guy, for the most part until he was traded. Hronek got the odd look as a 2nd dman on a 3/2 unit, while Lindholm and Garland got some time on PP1 later in the season. Nothing really stuck though, so that spot is up for grabs.

If I'm right, they are setting him up for a career year on a line with EP, and as a complimentary guy on PP1.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
To be honest I thought he would get north of 6M. I wonder if he took less money to play in a place he wants to(my assumption was he would take best offer on the table)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The only fans that should be happier than the Canucks are Leaf fans. This guy was a Leaf Killer in the playoffs.

Debrusk is a prime candidate for a breakout season with Petey and Hughes feeding him pucks. I suspect he will have multiple 30 goal years and possibly a 40 goal year for the Canucks during this 7 year contract.

I think Debrusk chose the perfect situation for himself, he can learn lots under Tochett and a guy like JT Miller in regards to what it takes to be a consistent everyday power forward. Tochett did wonders for Dakota Joshua.

This is a fantastic AAV for what he will bring.

Only 27 yrs old as well.

I also dont think it should be overlooked that he is an excellent penalty killer, something the Canucks need more of especially after losing Lindholm.
He had 6 seasons with Bergeron or Krejci feeding him pucks, and with wings like Marchand or Pastrnak, and he has zero 30 or 40 goals seasons. And if you think that he didn’t have enough mentoring on how to be a consistent everyday player from the likes of Bergeron and Marchand, and generally speaking a team like Boston where that’s pretty much the number one thing you are requested to do, you must have landed on planet earth very recently.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
He had 6 seasons with Bergeron or Krejci feeding him pucks, and with wings like Marchand or Pastrnak, and he has zero 30 or 40 goals seasons. And if you think that he didn’t have enough mentoring on how to be a consistent everyday player from the likes of Bergeron and Marchand, and generally speaking a team like Boston where that’s pretty much the number one thing you are requested to do, you must have landed on planet earth very recently.

In order for Debrusk to hit 30g in a season, never mind multiple seasons, he will need to show up as a PP performer. It never really clicked for him on the PP in Boston. But if VAN really has a place for him there and he finds a fit, I could see 30+. But where does he slot? He's not an elite shooter or passer and he is too light for the net front position.

He's a hardworking rush scorer who can tip and chip. A very good 2LW option.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
View attachment 891594

What an obscure and randomly useless stat. Let’s come back and review this at the end of the season and see if it impacted his performance. You give no context at all, was he injured, were those games back to back, did he have a flu.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Players evolve and grow, what he was 4 yrs ago isn't what he is today or will be tomorrow. 7 yrs for a 27 year old ain't that bad. I remember when everyone was laughing and shitting on the Canucks for the JT Miller trade. He was up and down the lineup with Tampa and NYR. I thought he had potentially and could be a better player with more trust. seems I was right he turned out ok. I think DeBrusk can be a similar type player, could flourish a bit more here than he has in Boston. 25g and 55p from Jake is well within his reach all while being defensively responsible.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Term sucks but at least he’s on the right side of 30 opposed to many of the other 7 year deals signed. But at $5.5M and a track record of scoring 25~ goals and being responsible defensively, Canucks likely did well here.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
View attachment 891594

I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever seen someone use those stats to make any kind of conclusion about how a free agent will do in a new city.

Remarkable that you went through the trouble of looking it up and at no point during typing did your brain point how dumb it is to use Away stats on the other side of the country to predict future success on home ice.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
As a B's fan, this is one of the biggest mismanagements in major sports history. Every team whiffs on a 1st rounder, but 3 consecutive picks. It was a different amateur scouting group from the last 5 years, but still.
My 3 picks would have been K Connor, Chabot, and my reach S Aho(2nd rounder? go figure)

DeBrusk is a moody emotional player that doesn't use his size as much as his top notch speed.
His best year where with Bergeron and Marchand and he was still frustratingly inconsistent.
He will give you great penalty killing and 200ft responsibility, but to see him make a huge offensive impact for 82 games, well, I'll need to see it to believe it.

The price is right for what VAN is getting but I don't expect him to become any kind of game breaker. He score a lot from in close, but for a guy his size, he gets nicked up from the physicality of how he plays best.
Correct me if I were wrong, but isn’t DeBrusk more naturally a LW and, as such, could be inconsistent playing opposite Marchand?

And that he had performed well with Krejci and Pastrnak (e.g. rookie year) but that combo is often not assembled, for example, needing to play Pastrnak on the big line, or most recently having to fit Zacha into the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad