Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Danny Hurley turned down 70 mil over 6 years from the Lakers, to stay at UCONN. He wants to go for the three peat. Needless to say, our family is pleasantly surprised!!!

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I think a number of teams would be interested in him if the Warriors do waive him, Sixers definitely should be one of them.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This Celtics team is unique. I only went back 20 seasons but they seem to be most closely related to the 2013-14 Spurs. But this Celtics team has an all time dominant offense while not having a generational offensive talent.
Before the playoffs Morey said they are the best team since prime GSW.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Morey better do something this offseason that makes the Sixers get over the 2nd round mediocrity hump otherwise he should be summarily fired.....

The Process or what is left with Embiid is on the thinnest of ice..

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I’m just reading tea leaves here, but it sure feels to me like Hurley leaves if they meet his price. That 100 over 8 number came from someone. The Lakers depended on the Lakers name and went cheap. It only means less and less as the years go by.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
You have to remember that basketball coaches who win titles are gods in CT. Also transitioning to LA would be a 180 deg lifestyle change.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I’m just reading tea leaves here, but it sure feels to me like Hurley leaves if they meet his price. That 100 over 8 number came from someone. The Lakers depended on the Lakers name and went cheap. It only means less and less as the years go by.
I think UCONN also went cheap since the rumored offer from them is like 6/$50m. Which considering he just turned down $70m guaranteed from the Lakers and a couple weeks ago turned down Kentucky offering 5/$55M.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
By Net Rating that's true. Prior to prime GSW was the '08 Celtics, and prior to them the '97 Bulls!
No wonder....they played shit teams all playoffs.

Heat....Butler missed entire series. Bam and Herro as top guys.
Cavs....Mitchell missed 2 games and Allen missed entire series. Mobley and Garland as top guys when Mitchell sat. No defensive anchor in Allen really hurt.
Indy....Haliburton missed 2 games. Siakam and Turner as top guys when Hali sat. Not to mention the team plays no defense.

It's quite possibly one of the easiest roads to the finals ever. Every series the other teams top player missed at least 2 games. Compare it to the East in 2019.

Raptors: Prime Kawhi, Siakam, Lowry, Green, Gasol, FVV, Ibaka, Powell, OG(hurt for PO)
76ers: Prime Butler, healthy Embiid, All Star Simmons, Harris, JJ
Bucks: MVP Giannis, prime Middleton, Brogden, Lopez....best record in league

Those 3 teams are MUCH better than any team the Celtics will play in these playoffs INCLUDING Dallas. If they had to play any those teams...or 2 of those teams like the Raps did, their stats would look way worse. Or they just might have gotten knocked out. The East was a bloodbath that year.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Not Boston's fault other teams cant stay healthy.
Not Boston's fault the rest of the East has brain dead front offices.

Boston is 78-20 with the most efficienct offense of all time. They kicked the **** out of the whole league all year.
And this is without 1 superstar (apparently) and their 3rd best player missing large chunks of time.

It's Boston so of course there's sour grapes leaguewide but theyve been the best run team in the league since 2015.

Embiid, Hali, Mitchell, Jarrett Allen??? None of these guys create at a level that would change the outcome against them.
Dallas only has a chance because they have best young creator in the league.

It's been a weird season.
The old guard (LeBron, Steph, KD, Jimmy) are fully cooked, the current crop (Jokic, Embiid, Giannis) underwhelmed and the new blood (Ant, Shai/Chet, Banchero, Wemby) aren't ready yet.

Boston just happened to build an incredible team at the right time which is itself the product of a decade of excellent management.
IF they win it all this team will be underrated historically but a dominant title run is a dominant title run.

I'd trade that for Morey's 'capspace and pray' contingency in a heartbeat.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Let's not forget to give some of the credit for assembling this Celtics team to good old Billy King. It doesn't happen without him.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Let's not forget to give some of the credit for assembling this Celtics team to good old Billy King. It doesn't happen without him.
Same with Colangelo..

Eff the Celtics, cancer, Ben Simmons, Harden, Tobi and Joshua Harris...

Edit: ....and Glenn effin Rivers!

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Same with Colangelo..

Eff the Celtics, cancer, Ben Simmons, Harden, Tobi and Joshua Harris...
Sixers helped them out to win their last championship a lot more then this one. I mean technically since the Fultz trade was a draft pick swap that happened 3 days before the draft the Sixers could have drafted Tatum 1st since it wasn't the typical draft night (trade announced after the 1st round/draft and not completed until later). The trade was completed and picks had already changed hands going into draft night.

But their last championship only happens because Larry Brown passed on Paul Pierce and took Larry Hughes because he had talked with Hughes and his parents and assured them if Hughes was there when the Sixers picked they'd take him. Even though the Sixers had internally ranked Pierce higher and thought he'd go in the top 4 picks.

Reactions: Embiid

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Sixers helped them out to win their last championship a lot more then this one. I mean technically since the Fultz trade was a draft pick swap that happened 3 days before the draft the Sixers could have drafted Tatum 1st since it wasn't the typical draft night (trade announced after the 1st round/draft and not completed until later). The trade was completed and picks had already changed hands going into draft night.

But their last championship only happens because Larry Brown passed on Paul Pierce and took Larry Hughes because he had talked with Hughes and his parents and assured them if Hughes was there when the Sixers picked they'd take him. Even though the Sixers had internally ranked Pierce higher and thought he'd go in the top 4 picks.
Sixers had him ranked like 2 or 3 on their board lol....I posted about that fateful decision to draft based on a promise earlier.

I mean Nowitzki and Pierce were chosen immediately after Hughes. Hughes wasn't minced meat but he wasn't even ahead of their own scouts and he sadly wasn't HoF material like Pierce and Nowitzki. Wonder if Colangelo would have picked Nowitzki since he loved Euro players. Sadly all the draft and stash Euros he selected were nothing burgers. Saric looked promising but fizzled.

Reactions: Flybynite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad