GDT: The Penguin(s) vs. The Dynamic Duo: Game 8 - Pittsburg @ Edmonton 7 PM - SN1

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
*whispers* Oilers are actually older....than every team in the league.

Dragged the f*** up by two 4th liners. Big whoop

A quick look on NHL Edge shows the Oilers went from 96th percentile in skating speed last year to 56th this year so far. Went from being a top 3 fastest team in the league to right around middle of the pack. That definitely affects the offense and I think we're seeing those effects right now.

Does this shit clock the players at poyential top speeds or the actually speed they’ve been skating this year. If the latter, there’s more to it than that, namely, playing tentative idiot hockey

Reactions: leopoldbstotch

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A quick look on NHL Edge shows the Oilers went from 96th percentile in skating speed last year to 56th this year so far. Went from being a top 3 fastest team in the league to right around middle of the pack. That definitely affects the offense and I think we're seeing those effects right now.

Tough to register high skating speed numbers when you sit on every puck, defer wide rather than drive the net, and have about a 50/50 connection rate on passes.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who would have thought that moving out young, fast players for older, slower players would affect our team speed. Don’t need NHL edge to tell us that. I understand you want experience to win a Cup but the team went to far in the “experience” direction. Practically every team that has won the Cup in the last decade has been a fast, deep, hardworking team with a few young players being key contributors.

Reactions: Shanahanigans

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I just hope that one user eat's his A & W
@tardigrade81

Jeff Skinner demoted again? Wtf man..

Does Connor not wanna play with him? I don’t see the logic here.

Anyway, Connor let’s see you come out like a bat out of hell again this game and capitalize on it. That or let Jesse get a hattrick and frustrate the fans even more lol
Yeah really odd. He looked great on Connors line. He was creating offense.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Who would have thought that moving out young, fast players for older, slower players would affect our team speed. Don’t need NHL edge to tell us that. I understand you want experience to win a Cup but the team went to far in the “experience” direction. Practically every team that has won the Cup in the last decade has been a fast, deep, hardworking team with a few young players being key contributors.

Other than Ryan and Perry who are definitely slow, and Henrique and Skinner who would probably better be described as "average," which players exactly are slow?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Anyway, Connor let’s see you come out like a bat out of hell again this game and capitalize on it. That or let Jesse get a hattrick and frustrate the fans even more lol
Thanks, I almost forgot about Jesse. "Oh look lets play with the nice Bison, Hey Mr Buffalo, can I taka ya picture?"

Nice guy but not on the brighter side it seems. Go lick that goal post Jesse until you stick to it.

Pens fan here not be knowing what we're talking about.

I barely do myself. ;)

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Other than Ryan and Perry who are definitely slow, and Henrique and Skinner who would probably better be described as "average," which players exactly are slow?
Yeah when I think about it did we bring in any slow guys? Arvidsson and Skinner are pretty fast guys. Emberson skates pretty well, Stecher is great, Dermott idk.

Like yeah we lost a couple speedy guys but we also added at least a couple.

I think as someone above said, it’s the tentativeness more than anything.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah when I think about it did we bring in any slow guys? Arvidsson and Skinner are pretty fast guys. Emberson skates pretty well, Stecher is great, Dermott idk.

Like yeah we lost a couple speedy guys but we also added at least a couple.

I think as someone above said, it’s the tentativeness more than anything.

McLeod, Holloway, and Foegele are definitely fast, but the guys brought in aren't slow.

For all their speed, Foegele and McLeod often accomplished all of jack shit together unless paired up with Leon. Conversely, Skinner, Henrique and Arvidsson have a pretty long track record of posting consistent results that the players above would only dream of, but because they haven't blown the doors off the first two weeks of the season they all suck I guess.

Small sample sizes are small, but where's the fun in that when we can all panic?

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I mean you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that changing 3 players around has had such a drastic effect as lowering our speed by 40%. That being said too the guys added aren't exactly known as slowpokes either. Heck I'm pretty sure we picked up Arvidsson partially due to his speed.

You know what is extremely likely to cause such an effect? Lack of give a shit. Frankly a lot of our players that have speed don't seem particularly interested in using it. McDavid has even looked sluggish at times and I'm fairly certain we're paying Draisaitl a million bucks per stride per game.

Like a lot of things, I wouldn't draw too may conclusions from that now but if it remains the same into December and January, then we have a legitimate gripe.

Please lawd don't let JP score. That would sting

Oilers law would dictate that he will.

Prepare yourself accordingly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our record is bad but imo the team is playing well

It's like we control the ice but have the worst blunders. It's about cleaning up the game more than learning to play at a high level

Reactions: Oilslick941611

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Buddy is getting the Dylan Holloway treatment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Our record is bad but imo the team is playing well

It's like we control the ice but have the worst blunders. It's about cleaning up the game more than learning to play at a high level

I think that the Oilers have more or less played "well" since the Flames game. Even then, the group was more or less ok through the first half of the game before the attrition of every single goal being called back and the referees being stupid started the demoralization (not an excuse, but is what it is I think).

The only two games that I would characterize as an unacceptable disgrace were the first two against the Jets and Blackhawks. If we want to look at things glass half full, 6 or 7 of our first 10 games last year could fit firmly in the "unacceptable disgrace" category.

We have life and are playing at a level that should produce wins, we simply cannot score a goal if our life depended on it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that the Oilers have more or less played "well" since the Flames game. Even then, the group was more or less ok through the first half of the game before the attrition of every single goal being called back and the referees being stupid started the demoralization (not an excuse, but is what it is I think).

The only two games that I would characterize as an unacceptable disgrace were the first two against the Jets and Blackhawks. If we want to look at things glass half full, 6 or 7 of our first 10 games last year could fit firmly in the "unacceptable disgrace" category.

We have life and are playing at a level that should produce wins, we simply cannot score a goal if our life depended on it.
Basically if you cross off the first 3 games things look okay. That's lame I know, but at least it points to a good trend. That matters more than our record.

Just look at the Carolina game. The Canes were on their heels most of that game and it was special teams and getting goalied that sunk us. Meanwhile the hot start Flames looked horrible vs the Canes.

The standings will go to where they should in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I mean you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that changing 3 players around has had such a drastic effect as lowering our speed by 40%. That being said too the guys added aren't exactly known as slowpokes either. Heck I'm pretty sure we picked up Arvidsson partially due to his speed.

You know what is extremely likely to cause such an effect? Lack of give a shit. Frankly a lot of our players that have speed don't seem particularly interested in using it. McDavid has even looked sluggish at times and I'm fairly certain we're paying Draisaitl a million bucks per stride per game.

Like a lot of things, I wouldn't draw too may conclusions from that now but if it remains the same into December and January, then we have a legitimate gripe.

Oilers law would dictate that he will.

Prepare yourself accordingly.
We moved out 25% of the team. 3 forwards, 3 Dmen. That’s a pretty big turnover in an off-season.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Hi guys! First of all I apologize for my part in some heated discussions about Jesse Puljujarvi when he was in the Oilers! This goes also to the other participants. If he somehow ends up here again I will definitely stay out of them.

Like I said I really wanted Puljujarvi to succeed specifically in the Oilers, but it didn't work out. However, I wonder if there'd be a chance to give it one more go as he plays with minimum salary and looks much better after the double hip surgery.

He was one of the best Finns in the World Championships and while preseason doesn't mean much he was the best Penquin there. He has started the season quite strongly, having the 2nd best points/60 and being solid defensively. The Penguins fans have stated several times that Sullivan doesn't like European players and while I don't really like or maybe believe those nationality talks the fact is that after a strong start and good chemistry with Eller Puljujarvi has been first a healthy scratch and now played under 10 minutes in the 4th line. Fans are gobsmacked and so are many so called experts.

Especially during 1-1,5 seasons before his hip surgeries he didn't deserve more if even what he got, but now it's different. With his salary he should be a pretty safe choice and as Penguins fans seem to be willing to sell anything that can get them assets something like a 2nd might be enough to get Puljujarvi. Some may feel that is too much and I understand that, but I think it could make sense at the moment. A solid top-9 option, who could play higher and lower in the lineups according to needs and his level. In all the interviews he's said good things about his time in Edmonton so I think he'd be happy to come back. He also seems much more mature.

Then about Blomqvist, the "unknown" goalie some have mentioned here. Like Puljujarvi he also comes from the team Kärpät in Oulu. He was sensationally good in the men's league as a junior and for years I've believed he will become a very good NHL goalie. He's been the best Penguins goalie, but hasn't been played a lot. I have a feeling we'll see very good Oilers tonight and while he can be excellent the Penguins defense is leaking badly and I think the Oilers will utilize that nicely.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the Oilers lose this game, Terry Jones will be polishing his weak kneed wimps tag line.
You're old. ;)

The first couple of periods have been better (still too many holes) but they are fading badly in the 3rd period.
The Carolina game was a perfect example.

A complete game would be nice. A game where they actually bear down in both zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad