The Out of Town - Losing to your own zamboni driver - Thread Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My preference is for a draft wheel where the picks are predetermined basically forever. No more tanking year after year trying to assemble a team with multiple top picks.

But it will never happen, the league want teams to get back to being good enough to be in the playoff race as fast as possible. That's why they want to reward losing teams, and because they want to avoid teams attempting to suck year after year they made the lottery to lessen that incentive while still helping the teams get better.
At what point does the league recognize the current lottery system doesn't work? Gifting top picks to bottom teams has resulted in elite players wasting away on teams that, after all the hype, still remain on the bottom. The only example with marginal success is Toronto, which that took a full decade of suckage, five GMs, and dumb luck to acquire a young core of top picks that, despite all that elite talent, are barely a playoff team. The examples of lottery failure are more numerous: Buffalo, New Jersey, Arizona, and of course Edmonton.

It seems intuitive -- good players improve bad teams, right? But the reality is that bad teams are bad not because they're missing a star player, but because they're missing the fundamentals: management, drafting and development. Until a team fixes its foundation, winning a lottery will be like giving a million dollars to an addict.

Want real parity? Forget adding bandaid players. Institute a rotational system for GMs.

As for your draft wheel idea, not sure if I love it or hate it, but props for raising a legitimate alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
look at the difference between Kokta and Suzuki now and tell me development doesn't matter. At least with Kotka they found the sense to send him down.

how many young 3rd line wingers transition into no1C's? Anyone?
In fairness, there's a world of difference between the players themselves. Kotkaniemi never showed the vision that Suzuki showed in his first month.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Good deal for the Pens, they were able to get rid of negative value in Galchenyuk in all of this
The 1st rounder is no big deal for them as Zucker still has 3 years signed after this one and Addison is a good young D but since they were gifted Marino from the Oilers they don't really care I guess

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sure thing. I'm starting to think Timmins' interviews are pretty much questions about how kids can benchpress and their biceps size.
How I picture a meeting in the Habs scouting department.
UZl9ZnX.gif

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Chucky will go and end his career in the KHL. Slight disappointment for him I'm sure, but he'll still get good money over there

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Reading some of the responses regarding Galchenyuk here is funny. Some of you were big apologists for him when he was here, and made all kinds of excuses for him. I got a lot of shit for "bashing" him. The writing was on the wall pretty early for him, y'all just didn't want to see it. Who told you so? :laugh:

Reactions: Habby4Life

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
In fairness, there's a world of difference between the players themselves. Kotkaniemi never showed the vision that Suzuki showed in his first month.

At this time last year 99% of Canadiens fans were over the moon with his play and progress. Nobody was questioning that he belonged in the NHL.

It's okay to say that in retrospect things should have been done differently. Starting of in Laval may have been better for the long term but he was genuinely earning his ice time.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
At this time last year 99% of Canadiens fans were over the moon with his play and progress. Nobody was questioning that he belonged in the NHL.

It's okay to say that in retrospect things should have been done differently. Starting of in Laval may have been better for the long term but he was genuinely earning his ice time.
For sure and now that he's struggling, which happens to a lot of young players, we moved him down and he'll continue to develop. It's all good

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Reading some of the responses regarding Galchenyuk here is funny. Some of you were big apologists for him when he was here, and made all kinds of excuses for him. I got a lot of **** for "bashing" him. The writing was on the wall pretty early for him, y'all just didn't want to see it. Who told you so? :laugh:

The whole ruined excuse is a joke. It’s obvious the guy has issues that are hindering his on ice performance. We heard them, guess where there’s smoke there’s fire. Pitt and Ari could not drop him fast enough.

One would think he would be motivated to prove everyone wrong when getting a chance to play with Sid and Geno.

The guy has no hockey iq and lacks drive. There are plenty of guys who do not work out with thier first team but blossom given a chance somewhere else. His lack of progress is on him.

The Domi trade looks better everyday.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
his development was bungled beyond belief IMO, the player you see today is a result of the more moronic handling of a young player that I've seen.
Maybe galchenyuk just isn’t much of a cerebral player.....he’s got a great shot, has that fancy backhand forehand move on the breakaway and that’s about it

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The whole ruined excuse is a joke. It’s obvious the guy has issues that are hindering his on ice performance. We heard them, guess where there’s smoke there’s fire. Pitt and Ari could not drop him fast enough.

One would think he would be motivated to prove everyone wrong when getting a chance to play with Sid and Geno.

The guy has no hockey iq and lacks drive. There are plenty of guys who do not work out with thier first team but blossom given a chance somewhere else. His lack of progress is on him.

The Domi trade looks better everyday.
It's just so weird to see people seemingly contradict themselves, when they were after me for "bashing" him before. Now they are in on the "bashing" and acting like they never made their previous comments because he's not a Hab anymore. Fanatacism I guess. AG is as dumb as a bag of rocks, and that was evident early. That, along with his other flaws, made it quite obvious to me there was going to be problems regardless of who the coach was.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
At what point does the league recognize the current lottery system doesn't work? Gifting top picks to bottom teams has resulted in elite players wasting away on teams that, after all the hype, still remain on the bottom. The only example with marginal success is Toronto, which that took a full decade of suckage, five GMs, and dumb luck to acquire a young core of top picks that, despite all that elite talent, are barely a playoff team. The examples of lottery failure are more numerous: Buffalo, New Jersey, Arizona, and of course Edmonton.

It seems intuitive -- good players improve bad teams, right? But the reality is that bad teams are bad not because they're missing a star player, but because they're missing the fundamentals: management, drafting and development. Until a team fixes its foundation, winning a lottery will be like giving a million dollars to an addict.

Want real parity? Forget adding bandaid players. Institute a rotational system for GMs.

As for your draft wheel idea, not sure if I love it or hate it, but props for raising a legitimate alternative.

To be fair it's safe to say the league recognized some problems with the previous lottery system and made adjustments. So listing teams that sucked for years before the new lottery system doesn't tell us much. Trying to follow Pittsburgh/Edmonton rebuild strategy is not likely to work as well so teams will adjust their rebuilding strategies.

I think the main goal of the league is to prevent teams from sucking constantly year after year. The lottery system today doesn't fully address that because you're right, bad teams suck because they have bad GMs, so even with good players they are handicapped. But I'm not sure there are any realistic options beyond rewarding bad teams with good draft picks to do what the league wants.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
It's just so weird to see people seemingly contradict themselves, when they were after me for "bashing" him before. Now they are in on the "bashing" and acting like they never made their previous comments because he's not a Hab anymore. Fanatacism I guess. AG is as dumb as a bag of rocks, and that was evident early. That, along with his other flaws, made it quite obvious to me there was going to be problems regardless of who the coach was.
Before the draft and early in his career, Galchenyuk looked like a very serious young kid, to me at least. I don't know when he fell off, but it seems like moderate early success really got to him. It's like he never put in any effort to progress after his first 2 seasons. I have defended him and stayed hopeful way more than he deserved. In retrospect, there were red flags popping left and right very early on. People around here tend to get emotionnally attached to players and it definitely clouds judgment.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
One of Timmins top picks. Can tell he conducts great interviews
The things we fans are not privy to huh. Remember a couple years ago news came out pre 2012 draft Brian Burke had yakupov on his do not draft list, even if he fell from the consensus 1OA to 5th where the leafs picked.

Some kids are just f*** heads

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The things we fans are not privy to huh. Remember a couple years ago news came out pre 2012 draft Brian Burke had yakupov on his do not draft list, even if he fell from the consensus 1OA to 5th where the leafs picked.

Some kids are just **** heads
Yak was a good kid, just dumb as shit. So yeah I guess shit head is an apt descriptor, technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad