OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Very well said, my friend. I often times feel like a "bridge" of sorts in the modern age. Was taught to be emotionally invulnerable, not exactly by my dad but he was a strong example. To say nothing of my more "traditional values". It was more the childhood bullying and social rejection by my peers that left me with a host of problems and strongly valuing loyalty. But then, I know being emotionally invulnerable is a problem now because I can't properly process/regulate/explain my emotions.

I said to my ex-wife earlier this year, I think the reason the whole Pride movement resonates with me is I have been learning that you can have intrinsic pride/acceptance in who you are, you're not perfect, and that's OK because no one is. But you can try, and you will fail because that is life.

I read somewhere that a lot of men's problems stem from lack of purpose or self-worth. We need to do better there. I think lots of shit that we were sold on as kids of what life should look like has shifted completely away, i.e. men being breadwinners, owning a home by 30, saving for retirement, retirement, etc. I think men my age see how unattainable all that is, and are in crisis which is why we latch on to anything that slightly resembles some sort of identity with politics, sport, and even celebrity culture. The tribalism is from a replacement of a sense of belonging in a society that we were not informed about.
Yes, this is why so many young men latch on to grifter dipshits like Tate or Peterson, because they lean on the word masculinity and offer a short cut to a group “identity”.

You’re not wrong that our politicians have betrayed us all out of the previous “marks of masculinity”, but there is a good side to that in a sense because we needed to move beyond that in terms of self worth regardless.

Well, it’s not good it’s happening but we can extract some good from it.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't know if I agree with this - obviously generalizing here and referring to heterosexual relations but I don't think women actually want emotionally open or expressive men. What they want are stoic men so this problem comes from the other side too

Show too much emotion as a man and it turns women off. Not saying its right but thats what happens in the real world sadly.
There is an element of choice here. Like if you are used to the sort of women who only value the money you offer, and perhaps ask yourself what you value from her, I’m not saying that those women don’t exist.

But there are a lot of women out there who want a peer and a partner to share this journey with.

One thing a lot of people don’t know is that a lot of what we are attracted to, until or unless we do personal work, is based on the love we witnessed or received growing up. And we associate love with all of it. This is part of why victims of DV often serially find those sort of relationships if they grew up with violence associated with love.
But the good news is we can reprogram our patterns there.
It’s not a totally simple process but it’s incredibly rewarding.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yes, this is why so many young men latch on to grifter dipshits like Tate or Peterson, because they lean on the word masculinity and offer a short cut to a group “identity”.

You’re not wrong that our politicians have betrayed us all out of the previous “marks of masculinity”, but there is a good side to that in a sense because we needed to move beyond that in terms of self worth regardless.

Well, it’s not good it’s happening but we can extract some good from it.

Both of those idiots don't deserve a platform.

Reactions: wetcoast

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Agree or disagree with them they do have the right to free speech. I do find that a lot of left wing folks are very anti-free speech. Cancel culture these days.

Of course they have the right to free speech, but for them to promote hate is just wrong. And who says this is a left and right wing conversation?

Reactions: wetcoast

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Promoting hate is the norm now - just look south of the border.
Also allows for a clear distraction while the rich lobby governments to impose disastrous policies that further impoverish the general population while enriching themselves and embezzling money offshore. Identity politcs really came to the limelight after the Occupy movement in 2012.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Hoo boy. It's been a hot minute.

My life in the last 12-18 months:

- Moved twice
- Got Married
- Became a Dad

Gonna try and stick around here so my wife doesn't have to hear me rant about hockey and you guys can be my vent outlet instead.
congrats on the awesome year man!

Reactions: Royal Canuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hoo boy. It's been a hot minute.

My life in the last 12-18 months:

- Moved twice
- Got Married
- Became a Dad

Gonna try and stick around here so my wife doesn't have to hear me rant about hockey and you guys can be my vent outlet instead.

Congrats, RC! That's a hell of a year!

I took my eldest to his first concert this month - went to see Sammy Hagar in Ridgefield, WA. Awesome show - he had a blast (as did I), and it was super nostalgic for me hearing a setlist that was about 97% Van Halen.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Congrats, RC! That's a hell of a year!

I took my eldest to his first concert this month - went to see Sammy Hagar in Ridgefield, WA. Awesome show - he had a blast (as did I), and it was super nostalgic for me hearing a setlist that was about 97% Van Halen.
Looking forward to those days, right now it's Ms. Rachel and The Wiggles, not quite as hype as Van Halen.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I’m tempted to get back on Twitter so I can rant about BC Ferries

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gentle nudge out of political talk, here. No political talk is permitted on HF.
I'm curious where is the line between social ideas and politics here, asking for a political junkie so I try to not stray there but social stuff seems broad and vague enough right?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm taking a ferry on Friday, rant away.
Reservation is an absolute must have but be prepared for confusion outside the terminal (Tswassen more than Swartz Bat) and sailing delays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad