OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I was in my 20s and lived about 40 minutes away and visited ... probably every other weekend, mostly to help with yardwork etc. and hang out. My mom visited probably 5 times a week. At one point, though, I did stay with my grandma for a school semester when she was in the pretty early stages (after my grandpa was already in a home).

I saw frustration plenty of times when they were reaching for a thought or memory that wouldn't come but mostly it was just 'ahh, my mind just isn't what it used to be!' and most of our conversations were just really repetitive and really circular. My grandpa would start the same benign conversation 10 times in an afternoon and be quite happy to be starting it, and then forget it happened 10 minutes later. Mostly they both just faded away.

In my case, my grandparents were 85ish when it hit so maybe it hits differently than early-onset people in their 60s who are losing more, and losing it more rapidly.

That sounds a lot like the condition my grandmother was in for a decade or so of gradual deterioration before things got really bad for her in her last several years. This might sound dismissive, and I absolutely do not mean it to be, but I'm glad that their - and your - experience of it seems to have been relatively "peaceful."

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I sent him a dm a month ago and still havent heard back. Hopefully just on a vacation
He messaged me last December. That's when I last spoke with him. He addressed that he hasn't been around much this season so his absence now may just be a continuation of that. I wouldn't start worrying too much yet.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If anyone wants to take their minds off of death, searching "steamed hams but" on Youtube is effective:

Reactions: rypper

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There’s no Quiznos in Kitimat, and it’s not really top of my list when visiting Vancouver. When I’m down there, I like going to places that I have no chance of enjoying up here. There’s so much culturally diverse cuisine to enjoy in the lower mainland, as opposed to your pretty typical small town fare of sandwiches, salads, and burgers.

Do you mean like Chipotle?

Seriously though, if you like Lebanese cuisine check out a place called Wild Thyme in New Westminster. Delicious food.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Do you mean like Chipotle?

Seriously though, if you like Lebanese cuisine check out a place called Wild Thyme in New Westminster. Delicious food.

giphy.gif

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Sorry for your loss @Chairman Maouth

I have watched two grandparents lose their battle with dementia. I would not wish that on anyone
Thank you. Sincerely.

I try to avoid thinking about things like genes and hereditary effects.

Taking the glass-half-full approach, maybe I will eventually forget about the Mark Messier and Jim Benning years in Vancouver.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Hi guys, I am visiting Vancouver from Toronto for the first time in July.

Question: is downtown the ideal place to stay for a family? If so, can you suggest a hotel(s).

Just want a place with eateries nearby for convenience as I have kids and elderly parents.

I have also heard West Vancouver is good place to stay. Your thoughts?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hi guys, I am visiting Vancouver from Toronto for the first time in July.

Question: is downtown the ideal place to stay for a family? If so, can you suggest a hotel(s).

Just want a place with eateries nearby for convenience as I have kids and elderly parents.

I have also heard West Vancouver is good place to stay. Your thoughts?

Are you in town to do anything in particular? If there's anything you've got on the go that's going to take you downtown, either being downtown or a transit ride away from it would be ideal, because traffic getting in and out of downtown can be super hit and miss.

If you're not there to do anything exclusively downtown - yes, the North Shore (North and West Van) are gorgeous places to stay. The Lonsdale Quay Hotel might be a good way to have the best of both worlds - the Quay is a neat place to shop, listen to music and go to bars and whatnot, while also being a 15 minute seabus ride from downtown and the skytrains.

The North Vancouver Hotel on Capilano Road is nicely located for a lot of the North Shore's stuff. It's near the Capilano Suspension Bridge, a short drive/ride to Grouse Mountain to take the gondola or do the grind, Park Royal Mall is a few minutes away for shopping, and you're right by Lions Gate Bridge if you want to go downtown.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Are you in town to do anything in particular? If there's anything you've got on the go that's going to take you downtown, either being downtown or a transit ride away from it would be ideal, because traffic getting in and out of downtown can be super hit and miss.

If you're not there to do anything exclusively downtown - yes, the North Shore (North and West Van) are gorgeous places to stay. The Lonsdale Quay Hotel might be a good way to have the best of both worlds - the Quay is a neat place to shop, listen to music and go to bars and whatnot, while also being a 15 minute seabus ride from downtown and the skytrains.

The North Vancouver Hotel on Capilano Road is nicely located for a lot of the North Shore's stuff. It's near the Capilano Suspension Bridge, a short drive/ride to Grouse Mountain to take the gondola or do the grind, Park Royal Mall is a few minutes away for shopping, and you're right by Lions Gate Bridge if you want to go downtown.

We are not visiting for anything in particular. Our itinerary is basically:

Granville Island, Seawall, Yaletown, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, and a day trip to Whistler,

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We are not visiting for anything in particular. Our itinerary is basically:

Granville Island, Seawall, Yaletown, Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, and a day trip to Whistler,

Given the latter few items, I'd say being on the North Shore would be a good bet, and then you can hop over to downtown as well. The second hotel I mentioned being close to Lions Gate Bridge would also mean you're basically right next to Stanley Park, too. Would also suggest Lynn Canyon as well - lots of amazing scenery, a smaller version of the suspension bridge, and usually some areas to swim, too.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Given the latter few items, I'd say being on the North Shore would be a good bet, and then you can hop over to downtown as well. The second hotel I mentioned being close to Lions Gate Bridge would also mean you're basically right next to Stanley Park, too. Would also suggest Lynn Canyon as well - lots of amazing scenery, a smaller version of the suspension bridge, and usually some areas to swim, too.

Thanks for detailed feedback. Appreciate it.

I will do some research on the hotels you mentioned.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
My sister just died.

I wrote about her in post #242. In a family that was never close, she was the anomaly. We were close and I loved her dearly. She died of complications from Alzheimer's. This was a shock to me. I thought she had a couple of more years left.

Her husband, Fitz, passed away in 2019 also due to complications from Alzheimer's. Now, Alzheimer's has also taken his wife, my sister.

In a family that was never close, they were the exception for me. They were special. They never looked down on me. They treated me with respect.

Photo taken outside my home in 2006. Me on the left on crutches, my sister, and my brother-in-law. My scowl is because they had just picked me up from the hospital after I had knee surgery and the morphine had worn off.

View attachment 883511

You're at peace now, Peni. I love you.

Condolences.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Vent post. Don’t wanna post on any media where people know me personally so I figure I’ll post it here.

I’m normally a very cheerful guy but I’m really losing it the last few days.

My wife was 8 weeks into pregnancy, one day she called me right after I got off work, talking in a very panicky tone and told me started bleeding pretty bad, we rushed to A&E, after the doctors performed examinations we were told it’s a miscarriage but as if that wasn’t enough there was also a chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Following the safety protocols and recommendations from the doctors, My wife has been in the hospital for the last 5 days and counting for easier surveillance and monitoring.

Fortunately she seems to be in a good condition physically so far but I can’t help shake the feeling she isn’t fine mentally despite my best efforts in cheering her up. This series of chaotic events really hit her hard and will likely take her more time before we plan for another pregnancy and related arrangements.

She is my sunshine and my world but I literally can’t do shit for her except for taking care of the house and visit her every day. I feel so f***ing useless. Much rather I’m the one lying in that bed in the hospital rn.

Sorry for bringing down the mood guys.
I really needed to vent.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vent post. Don’t wanna post on any media where people know me personally so I figure I’ll post it here.

I’m normally a very cheerful guy but I’m really losing it the last few days.

My wife was 8 weeks into pregnancy, one day she called me right after I got off work, talking in a very panicky tone and told me started bleeding pretty bad, we rushed to A&E, after the doctors performed examinations we were told it’s a miscarriage but as if that wasn’t enough there was also a chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Following the safety protocols and recommendations from the doctors, My wife has been in the hospital for the last 5 days and counting for easier surveillance and monitoring.

Fortunately she seems to be in a good condition physically so far but I can’t help shake the feeling she isn’t fine mentally despite my best efforts in cheering her up. This series of chaotic events really hit her hard and will likely take her more time before we plan for another pregnancy and related arrangements.

She is my sunshine and my world but I literally can’t do shit for her except for taking care of the house and visit her every day. I feel so f***ing useless. Much rather I’m the one lying in that bed in the hospital rn.

Sorry for bringing down the mood guys.
I really needed to vent.

Dude, no apologies…glad you felt like you could vent this here.

Miscarriages are awful to go through, and to add the health scares you had on top of it…I can only imagine the stress. And my heart goes out to you about feeling helpless while your partner is battling.

Just be in her corner and support her, whatever form that takes (it sounds like you already are). And don’t forget to care for yourself, too.

Reactions: LordBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad