OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Well put. Your frustration is well-placed. I have the same occupation my dad did when he bought his first home. Same age, in fact, I'm older than my dad now than he was when I was bornt. My rent is $2500. Coach-house, 2 bed, 1 bath, 600ish maybe square feet.

I have no idea why corporations are allowed to be landlords. They are profiteering off of a basic need, yet these :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: from BlackRock, Greystar, Zillow are never dragged thru the mud the way Nestle is. There are some truly evil people in the world. I think there's a video on YouTube called "The Housing Crisis is the Everything Crisis", or something. But that in a sentence is a LARGE contributing factor to why shit is so f***ed up in NA right now.

Absolutely no one from my generation is getting ahead. Everyone who is, gets tons of help from mom and dad. And these are lawyers, policemen, firefighters, etc. jobs you'd expect to be in the range of reasonable disposable income. Back when I came out of grade school it was kind of embarrassing to be in your 30s living with mom and dad but now I say more power to ya.

Now people are angrier than ever. People my age are wondering when the hard work will pay off (if ever), kids younger than us already know they're f***ed, and people older than me are realizing the football of retirement keeps getting pulled away. Truth is, black, white, old, young, secreter, non-secreter, this is what we are all facing. Except for one group of people. Those who hold the proverbial whips. If you work trades or manual labour, you know what I mean. You get shit on and pushed to the physical limit 5 days a week just to have to use credit to stay above water every 3 months. You get the maximum amount of production squeezed out of you, and are shamed for "not doing your part" if you don't look like you're busting ass. Only to get to the store and see those same people jacked the price up again because Mr. Moneybags needs to buy a 6th senator or some shit.

The only good billionaire is a dead one. And Jim Pattison perhaps.

When you remove the incentive of upward mobility, morale suffers, and production lowers. Crime will rise. And I'm not against capitalism. I'm not for it, but it's the least corrupt system ever put in practice...and that's not saying much. Remember that the world currently has more than enough food so that people don't have to starve to death. They still do though. Make that make sense.
Jim Pattison’s wealth has tripled since 2020. He’s just as bad imo

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Costcos great. Lots of prices are similarly priced but are just better at Costco.

We always get frozen chicken breasts, cheese, Parmesan, pork shoulder, brisket and other meats at Costco.

Yeah, pretty much. I have some staples that I go through regularly and Costco is cheaper and better quality. Things like quinoa, wild rice, olive oil, goat feta, bagged salads, bagels, bread, etc. I don't buy the meat or veggies because it's pretty pricy though.

Reactions: Hodgy

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yeah, there are a bunch of things you get 30-40% cheaper per g for buying a bit more relative to Walmart or Superstore and it's stuff we'll eat all of eventually.

The premade meals are also great and we usually have one or two hanging around frozen for 'don't feel like cooking' days.

Yes. The premade meals like the lasagna or pasta salad are great. And the premarinated meats are good too.

I think what’s lost on a lot of people just comparing prices is that Costco’s stuff is almost always better than the competitors. So even where it’s more expensive you are almost always just getting a better product too.

chicken taco kit is good

Reactions: Bubbles and rypper

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
We don't have much choice in Winnipeg for groceries. I avoid Walmart (devil of a corporation) and Costco (we don't have a membership). That leaves expensive AF Save on Sobeys and Safeway. Superstore is unfortunately the only one left. We do local when we can

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Part way through “Under the Bridge” on Disney+ - had this one circled for a long time to watch because the murder and subsequent trials went down while I was the same age as a lot of the people involved.

While the show is engrossing - and does a really admirable job showcasing the odd geopolitical world of teens, particularly those who had one foot on either side of the line of the law - I’m puzzled as to why they chose to fictionalize certain elements in the way they did. Without getting into spoiler territory, I get the need to form composite characters sometimes particularly in law enforcement stories when so many different people get involved. But the two show protagonists have so much of their stories and involvement that aren’t true to fact that I’m left pretty confused by it. I’d prefer a straight up true crime documentary that goes for accuracy more than drama. (The case itself had drama in spades)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
My sister just died.

I wrote about her in post #242. In a family that was never close, she was the anomaly. We were close and I loved her dearly. She died of complications from Alzheimer's. This was a shock to me. I thought she had a couple of more years left.

Her husband, Fitz, passed away in 2019 also due to complications from Alzheimer's. Now, Alzheimer's has also taken his wife, my sister.

In a family that was never close, they were the exception for me. They were special. They never looked down on me. They treated me with respect.

Photo taken outside my home in 2006. Me on the left on crutches, my sister, and my brother-in-law. My scowl is because they had just picked me up from the hospital after I had knee surgery and the morphine had worn off.

Me, Peni & Fitz.png

You're at peace now, Peni. I love you.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
My sister just died.

I wrote about her in post #242. In a family that was never close, she was the anomaly. We were close and I loved her dearly. She died of complications from Alzheimer's. This was a shock to me. I thought she had a couple of more years left.

Her husband, Fitz, passed away in 2019 also due to complications from Alzheimer's. Now, Alzheimer's has also taken his wife, my sister.

In a family that was never close, they were the exception for me. They were special. They never looked down on me. They treated me with respect.

Photo taken outside my home in 2006. Me on the left on crutches, my sister, and my brother-in-law. My scowl is because they had just picked me up from the hospital after I had knee surgery and the morphine had worn off.

View attachment 883511
Sorry for your loss.
Im not at that stage of my life yet but I had lost a couple of friends in my high school years, it must truly suck to be losing someone you cherish so dearly. I wish you all the best going forward. Its okay to be sad but dont stay sad, it wouldnt be what they wanted.

Side note: Damn you look like a tough mofo.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My sister just died.

View attachment 883511

That’s terrible news, so sorry for your loss. :(

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
My sister just died.

View attachment 883511

You're at peace now, Peni. I love you.
So sorry for your loss. Please take care.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Damn my condolences to you. You look so young in 2006. I mean it. At the time I was dipping into my parents liquor cabinet and getting hair in strange places. Hehe. If you Would like to share some goofy stories you have together I’m always game. A career in the military and then CSIS is damn impressive.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No good reason in passing away but damn....Alzheimers is the worst to suffer from. I don't wish that even on my worst enemy. My condolences CM.

For the actual person dying, I don't think that slowly drifting off into the fog with Alzheimers/dementia is that terrible and I'd probably take it over some of the brutal/painful deaths from cancer I've seen.

But for the families it's just horrific. My parents basically lost their 10-15 best retirement years trying to care for their elderly parents and keep them in their homes as long as possible before they had to go into care homes. You watch your grandparents forget you, the bad/sad memories start to push out the good ones, and the financial cost once they do have to go into care homes is just brutal.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
For the actual person dying, I don't think that slowly drifting off into the fog with Alzheimers/dementia is that terrible
In my experience, which comprises dozens and maybe hundreds of cases, people dying of Alzheimers are often abjectly terrified. I've seen every kind of death by infirmity and I would take cancer over dementia.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In my experience, which comprises dozens and maybe hundreds of cases, people dying of Alzheimers are often abjectly terrified. I've seen every kind of death by infirmity and I would take cancer over dementia.

Fair.

I can only speak for my grandparents and I didn’t register terror in their experience. Frustration definitely at times but mostly they seemed … increasingly just kind of stoned.

Compared to a good friend who suffered through 4 years of chemo and cancer treatments and then knew all-to-clearly the end was coming … I’d take the other. Although obviously this is like choosing between being lit on fire or thrown from a building.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Watching the Celtics game tonight, first time I've watched NBA in at least 20 years. I watch a ton of college ball though.

This ESPN pregame makes me thankful for what we have on CBC/SN for a pregame show, it seems like such a clusterf***. No one seems to be in control, everyone talks over each other, maybe that's just how they do it in the NBA (but it's not the same in NCAABB)

The other biggest facepalm is just how many people I don't recognize. I know college players pretty damn well, but in this case there are a ton of people I don't recognize. both on the floor and on the ESPN coverage.

Still going to check out the game. We're under severe thunderstorms here in Kamloops so I'm stuck to my TV... I like Jayson Tatum, but go Mavs!! f*** BOSTON!!!!!

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Fair.

I can only speak for my grandparents and I didn’t register terror in their experience. Frustration definitely at times but mostly they seemed … increasingly just kind of stoned.

Compared to a good friend who suffered through 4 years of chemo and cancer treatments and then knew all-to-clearly the end was coming … I’d take the other. Although obviously this is like choosing between being lit on fire or thrown from a building.
I think either experience depends a lot on your state of mind and how satisfied you are with yourself. Which adds more piquancy to recognizing that either is usually terrible. All I can say is don't smoke and eat your vegetables and you'll at least hopefully put it off, which is the best anyone can offer you. Mortality sucks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Fair.

Not denying your experience, but out of curiosity, how old were you when your grandparents were going through it, and how involved were you day to day as the process moved along?

I just spent multiple circular hours trying unsuccessfully to explain to my formerly brilliantly tech-literate, numerous-patent-holding father - who now often struggles to follow his own train of thought to a conclusion - the difference between email and craigslist, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that he knows exactly what he doesn't know anymore, knows it's only going to get worse, and is scared f***ing out-of-his-mind shitless of it every day. It's basically a process of having who you are taken away from you, and being absolutely powerless to do anything to stop it until eventually you are fading in and out of an increasingly constant state of confusion, fear, and agitation. The only "positive" angle is if you can somehow come to acceptance of this horrible, agonizing thing that is happening to you, but I'm not sure how many people are truly able to genuinely do that. I can't think of a single thing in this world that I fear more.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, CM, and I hope you are taking care of yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: bandwagonesque

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not denying your experience, but out of curiosity, how old were you when your grandparents were going through it, and how involved were you day to day as the process moved along?

I just spent multiple circular hours trying unsuccessfully to explain to my formerly brilliantly tech-literate, numerous-patent-holding father - who now struggles to follow his own train of thought to a conclusion - the difference between email and craigslist, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that he knows exactly what he doesn't know anymore, knows it's only going to get worse, and is scared f***ing out-of-his-mind shitless of it every day. It's basically a process of having who you are taken away from you, and being absolutely powerless to do anything to stop it until eventually you are fading in and out of an increasingly constant state of confusion, fear, and agitation. The only "positive" angle is if you can somehow come to acceptance of this horrible, agonizing thing that is happening to you, but I'm not sure how many people are truly able to genuinely do that. I can't think of a single thing in this world that I fear more.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, CM, and I hope you are taking care of yourself.

I was in my 20s and lived about 40 minutes away and visited ... probably every other weekend, mostly to help with yardwork etc. and hang out. My mom visited probably 5 times a week. At one point, though, I did stay with my grandma for a school semester when she was in the pretty early stages (after my grandpa was already in a home).

I saw frustration plenty of times when they were reaching for a thought or memory that wouldn't come but mostly it was just 'ahh, my mind just isn't what it used to be!' and most of our conversations were just really repetitive and really circular. My grandpa would start the same benign conversation 10 times in an afternoon and be quite happy to be starting it, and then forget it happened 10 minutes later. Mostly they both just faded away.

In my case, my grandparents were 85ish when it hit so maybe it hits differently than early-onset people in their 60s who are losing more, and losing it more rapidly.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad