Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think that it could've been better if the recreations were more specific to the characters or at least explained. For example, was Gordon bullied as a kid or afraid of big monsters? Was Ed afraid of claustrophobic spaces or crashing? Did Kelly have a childhood fear of drowning or lake monsters?

I don't know why Gordon didn't pull his phaser on the bullies at some point. It might not have worked, but he didn't even try.

Re-creating a Moclun morgue so that Bortus would get too close to a corpse and get strangled seemed a little contrived.

I still enjoyed the episode, as I said, but those are a few of the things that had me scratching my head a little.

I think they were trying to avoid a Galaxy Quest situation where they were watching Happy Days re-runs or something.

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
It's uncanny how much this show now resembles Star Trek the Next Generation in a good way.

No more slapstick like in Season 1.
The last two episodes in particular remind me of a show from the 90s called seaQuest. The uplifting orchestral score and dependence on extra vehicular transports in particular gives The Orville real seaQuest vibes.

Reactions: Guardian17

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Great episode. Finally getting some Bortus content (who was hilarious this episode). Such a shame that there won't be another season.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
this episode was inspired by the twilight zone and toss in a bad tron outfit for good luck

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Episode 4 was enjoyable and certainly the highest-budgeted episode yet. I didn't see the episode taking that turn halfway through and was later caught off guard by Ed actually getting mad. I like how the first four episodes of the season have all been different: Ep1 was character drama, Ep2 was horror, Ep3 was mystery and Ep4 was political thriller.

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This weeks episode was fantastic.

The writers of Discovery and Picard should study this episode on how to present a "woke" topic.

It's not perfect, but, it's poignant and entertaining without the lecture.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was powerful and excellent. The sensitive, timely subject was handled in such a way that people on all sides could agree with it and feel inspired. That's impressive and the spirit of Star Trek.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Excellent episode that did a great job of tackling the topics of intersex individuals or transgenderism along with the despair they feel and the depression that can lead to suicide at a much higher rate than the rest of the population.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was yet another terrific episode.
I liked that they made a whole episode about how irresponsible it was for Rios to stay behind in Picard Season 2 and for Jean-Luc to allow it like it was no big deal. Ed actually acted like I'd expect an officer with responsibility to in such a situation. Also, it was much more believable for Malloy to stay behind with a woman and child that he'd loved for 7 years, rather than only a few days, like in the case of Rios. You could really see his side of it and feel for him, while, of course, also seeing Ed's side. I loved that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I liked that they made a whole episode about how irresponsible it was for Rios to stay behind in Picard Season 2 and for Jean-Luc to allow it like it was no big deal. Ed actually acted like I'd expect an officer with responsibility to in such a situation. Also, it was much more believable for Malloy to stay behind with a woman and child that he'd loved for 7 years, rather than only a few days, like in the case of Rios. You could really see his side of it and feel for him, while, of course, also seeing Ed's side. I loved that.
Different set of time travel rules. What if Rios was always meant to stay? I mean Kamala was always meant to save her grandmother in Ms Marvel. The Avengers were always meant to defeat Thanos via time travel. And it's been heavily speculated that Steve Rogers was Peggy's husband all along..

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Different set of time travel rules. What if Rios was always meant to stay?

It's no different. Malloy made that argument for himself and Mercer decided that the uncertainty wasn't worth the risk. With Rios, there was similar uncertainty, but the risk was ignored.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
New episodes aren't there yet.

They are in Canada.

I've watched every episode on Disney Plus.

I agree with your entire statement.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
It was a terrific episode, that I really enjoyed. A couple of thoughts tho

1. It seemed really cruel of Ed to tell Gordon and his wife and kid that fine, we'll go back into the past and grab you there and this life won't exist. They could have just said to Gordon. Enjoy your life, we can't make you go and then gone in the past, and Gordon never knows.

2, It felt like Gordon let them off of the hook really easily in the end, with the whole you did the right thing. His friends had basically ripped him out of paradise, there should have been some resentment there.

3. I'm glad they're not rushing the Isaac Charlie thing. Not even a thawing by her.

The show continues to look and sound really good. The space scenes of the Orville moving are completely gorgeous, and the Orville seems to have a better handle on space battles then Trek.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They are in Canada.

I've watched every episode on Disney Plus.

It's really too bad that the show is split between Hulu in the US and Disney+ everywhere else, and delayed in non-NA countries on top of that. It hurts the marketing and the buzz. It feels like Disney doesn't want it to succeed compared to their Star Wars shows, which they go out of their way to promote and release everywhere in one place at the same time.

It was a terrific episode, that I really enjoyed. A couple of thoughts tho

1. It seemed really cruel of Ed to tell Gordon and his wife and kid that fine, we'll go back into the past and grab you there and this life won't exist. They could have just said to Gordon. Enjoy your life, we can't make you go and then gone in the past, and Gordon never knows.

2, It felt like Gordon let them off of the hook really easily in the end, with the whole you did the right thing. His friends had basically ripped him out of paradise, there should have been some resentment there.

3. I'm glad they're not rushing the Isaac Charlie thing. Not even a thawing by her.

The show continues to look and sound really good. The space scenes of the Orville moving are completely gorgeous, and the Orville seems to have a better handle on space battles then Trek.

1. I have to agree. On the other hand, Gordon was yelling and pointing a phaser at them, so I can understand Ed asserting his authority and getting the last word instead of just meekly walking away and making Gordon think that he won. Also, it made the scene even more powerful and unforgettable. I like that they went there instead of playing it safer.

2. He didn't have any memory of that paradise--it was little more than a story being told to him--so I don't think that there's much reason for him to be resentful. It's not like when Picard returned to the Enterprise at the end of The Inner Light. Maybe he could've been a little bit more thoughtful about it than he was, though. I'd agree with that.

3. I agree. After the first episode, I was afraid that they'd re-visit the tension only once they were ready to resolve it, but they're really stretching it out. It's starting to look like it won't be resolved until the finale. Maybe Isaac will sacrifice himself to save her or something else dramatic.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's no different. Malloy made that argument for himself and Mercer decided that the uncertainty wasn't worth the risk. With Rios, there was similar uncertainty, but the risk was ignored.
It really is different. The temporal laws in Star Trek have not been properly established or handled. Even in STO they're very arbitrary.

And yeah, Gordon got screwed hard.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It really is different. The temporal laws in Star Trek have not been properly established or handled. Even in STO they're very arbitrary.

It's not different in this context. Both shows suggested that the characters could screw up the timeline or contribute to it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
But one has clear established temporal laws, one doesn't. You're implying both have the same laws which is not true.

No, I'm suggesting that there are some similarities and you're citing vague differences to dismiss them. All that matters is that both shows suggested that a character in such a situation could end up being hurtful or helpful to the timeline and that one chose to take the risk while the other didn't. That's the comparison and it's a valid one unless you can prove that any of that isn't true.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No, I'm suggesting that there are some similarities and you're citing vague differences to dismiss them. All that matters is that both shows suggested that a character in such a situation could end up being hurtful or helpful to the timeline and that one chose to take the risk while the other didn't. That's the comparison and it's a valid one unless you can prove that any of that isn't true.
They did not suggest that in Picard. Star Trek subscribes to the predestination paradox.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They did not suggest that in Picard. Star Trek subscribes to the predestination paradox.

They did suggest that. Throughout most of the season, the characters were making a big deal about not doing anything that'll disrupt the timeline and even when Rios said that he was staying, Picard said, "You know you can't do that. The timeline." A few lines later, Rios said, "Maybe it was always supposed to be this way. Time's a funny thing," and Guinan's later talk with Picard in the 24th century suggested that that was right. In other words, there was no telling if staying behind would be disastrous or beneficial. That's the same dilemma that last night's episode dealt with.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They did suggest that. Throughout most of the season, the characters were making a big deal about not doing anything that'll disrupt the timeline and even when Rios said that he was staying, Picard said, "You know you can't do that. The timeline." A few lines later, Rios said, "Maybe it was always supposed to be this way. Time's a funny thing," and Guinan's later talk with Picard in the 24th century suggested that that was right. In other words, there was no telling if staying behind would be disastrous or beneficial. That's the same dilemma that last night's episode dealt with.
Again, that highlighted that predestination paradox is an accepted thing in the Star Trek Universe but not in The Orville's.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Again, that highlighted that predestination paradox is an accepted thing in the Star Trek Universe but not in The Orville's.

It also suggests that a time traveler damaging the timeline is an accepted thing in Star Trek, which you said that the Picard show didn't do.

If you wish to now make it about The Orville not bringing up the idea of predestination, then I'll point to the conversation in the bedroom:
Gordon: "Was I supposed to die?"
Ed: "To protect the timeline? Yes."
Gordon: "Maybe this is how it's supposed to be! Who's to say? Who's to say that I shouldn't be able to do whatever I want?"
Ed: "Oh. It seems you really have acclimated to this century."
Kelly: "When you joined the fleet, you took an oath to the Union."
Gordon: "You're here. You're here. Which means the Union still exists in the future. If anything was gonna happen, it already happened. That's how the physics work. The timeline's okay."
Ed: "No. You're deluding yourself. Nobody really understands time travel. According to Isaac, it's all still in flux. He says observer interaction is still a variable and until we act one way or another, all timelines are possible."
Kelly: "How do you know that your son won't grow up to start a war that could delay or even prevent Union emergence?"
Gordon: "Or maybe, maybe one of his descendants helps create it. Or even gives birth to you. Or to me."
Ed: "That's my point. Gordon, without knowing, we can't interfere. We don't have the wisdom. We don't have the foresight. You may have done irreparable damage already. We don't know. But the longer you're here, the greater the risk."

In both shows, the captain suggested that staying could hurt the timeline, the other character argued that staying may be what was meant to happen and one of them suggested that time travel wasn't understood well enough to say which would happen. In other words, the situations are similar enough to compare.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad