The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stuart Skinner has that many goals?

That is who I am not sold on.

Regardless, Jeff Skinner scoring in 2010 is irrelevant to today and a huge reach to try to make Skinner look better.

Over the last 3 years (a much more realistic timeframe) he is 26th, just FYI using 5v5 goals as an indicator that a player is good makes Matthews look like the best player in the league.

Regardless, that signing is good, not great like people are making it out to be.

He is in the top 10 in the last 3 years for 5 on 5 goal scoring rate per hour I believe, someone posted that stat via Twitter anyway.

Just by doing a cursory look he has more goals in the last 3 years than Barkov, Marner, Marchand, Eichel and tied with Tavares.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He is in the top 10 in the last 3 years for 5 on 5 goal scoring rate per hour I believe, someone posted that stat via Twitter anyway.

Just by doing a cursory look he has more goals in the last 3 years than Barkov, Marner, Marchand, Eichel and tied with Tavares.

And point-wise, where does he land there?

I'm assuming there is a reason we are talking about goals and then comparing him to someone like Marner or Barkov.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And point-wise, where does he land there?

I'm assuming there is a reason we are talking about goals and then comparing him to someone like Marner or Barkov.

Well I mean the Oilers kinda have these two guys named McDavid and Draisaitl who presumably will be driving the bus on the playmaking end of things (even Nugent Hopkins) ... Skinner and Arvidsson were signed to finish feeds and put the puck in the net because guys like Foegele were blowing too many high danger setups.

Reactions: Juxta Position

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well I mean the Oilers kinda have these two guys named McDavid and Draisaitl who presumably will be driving the bus on the playmaking end of things (even Nugent Hopkins) ... Skinner and Arvidsson were signed to finish feeds and put the puck in the net because guys like Foegele were blowing too many high danger setups.

if you only care about goals, then it looks like Skinner is a Tavares level goal scorer as you said.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
if you only care about goals, then it looks like Skinner is a Tavares level goal scorer as you said.

Well I mean yeah, they were signed to score goals, more specifically to finish setups from McDavid and Draisaitl.

I think that's fairly obvious.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Skinner will have a Hyman-like surge in scoring when joining the Oilers. So his historical production as a Sabre has very little relevance.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well I mean yeah, they were signed to score goals, more specifically to finish setups from McDavid and Draisaitl.

I think that's fairly obvious.

Skinner definitely wasn't signed for his defensive side, so I guess that's good, I hope he scores lots of goals.

Weird to see Edmonton fans citing 5v5 as super relevant... It makes their players look worse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Skinner definitely wasn't signed for his defensive side, so I guess that's good, I hope he scores lots of goals.

Weird to see Edmonton fans citing 5v5 as super relevant... It makes their players look worse.

Oilers have been a good defensive team since Knoblaugh took over.

It was fairly evident in the playoffs a key weakness, maybe even the biggest weakness was long stretches of series' where McDavid and Draisaitl, both hampered by injury and unable to shoot as they normally do were setting up teammates for glorious chances and guys like Foegele and Holloway (will be a good player I think, but just too young at the moment to be trusted with a top 6 scoring role) were simply not converting lots of great chances.

You can make life a lot easier for yourself if you have wings that convert even 15-20% more of those chances McDavid and Draisaitl bust their ass out there for.

5 on 5 part is relevant because he's going to have to score most of his goals at 5 on 5 unless he bumps RNH off the PP. Which isn't impossible, he just shouldn't be banking on it.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Stuart Skinner has that many goals?

That is who I am not sold on.

Regardless, Jeff Skinner scoring in 2010 is irrelevant to today and a huge reach to try to make Skinner look better.

Over the last 3 years (a much more realistic timeframe) he is 26th, just FYI using 5v5 goals as an indicator that a player is good makes Matthews look like the best player in the league.

Regardless, that signing is good, not great like people are making it out to be.
If the Oilers had won game 7, since it was one goal game, would you then have been "sold" on Stuart Skinner? I'm going to say no. Kinda sounds like your not sold on anything Oilers related minus McDavid...

Just to clarify, It's not Jeff Skinners scoring IN 2010, it's his scoring SINCE 2010, which is, you know, his entire career, pretty good sample size i would say.

The Oilers were looking to add scoring depth to their wings, they just signed one of the most consistent goal scoring wingers over the last 13 years. Fills a need at a good price on a short term if it doesn't work out.

Regardless, that signing is great, not good like bitter Leafs fans are making it out to be.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If the Oilers had won game 7, since it was one goal game, would you then have been "sold" on Stuart Skinner? I'm going to say no. Kinda sounds like your not sold on anything Oilers related minus McDavid...

Just to clarify, It's not Jeff Skinners scoring IN 2010, it's his scoring SINCE 2010, which is, you know, his entire career, pretty good sample size i would say.

The Oilers were looking to add scoring depth to their wings, they just signed one of the most consistent goal scoring wingers over the last 13 years. Fills a need at a good price on a short term if it doesn't work out.

Regardless, that signing is great, not good like bitter Leafs fans are making it out to be.

I wasn't sold on Kuemper after he won, why would I be sold on Skinner? Both average or below average goalies.

Entire career? Why would you use the entire sample size of someone past their prime? Use their most recent seasons.

Does Gretzky still have 150+ points in him because of his career numbers?

He is a good goal scorer, I'm not sure he is someone who consistently helps you win, but we will see.

Sure, it is great, whatever you say.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I wasn't sold on Kuemper after he won, why would I be sold on Skinner? Both average or below average goalies.

Entire career? Why would you use the entire sample size of someone past their prime? Use their most recent seasons.

Does Gretzky still have 150+ points in him because of his career numbers?

He is a good goal scorer, I'm not sure he is someone who consistently helps you win, but we will see.

Sure, it is great, whatever you say.

why would i use his entire career? probably because that is his sample size, why would i cherry pick? And Gretzky is 63, Skinner is 32, kind of a ridiculous way to try and prove a point.

But fine, we'll use the last 3 years then if that's what you think is relevant. Skinner is 26th in 5v5 scoring which puts him firmly on every NHL teams top 2 lines. consider that there is 192 players who play on 32 teams top 2 lines, and his goal scoring is better than 166 of those players, means your argument proved my point for me.

The Oilers are not a bottom feeder looking to have Skinner come in, save the day, and make them a playoff team, they were looking for 2 more goals in the Cup final that players like Foegel and McLeod couldn't come up with. Skinner and Arvidsson were brought in to do that.

These are complimentary pieces brought in to support the best player in the world, and another top 5 player in the world. In that context, the Skinner signing is outstanding.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Also riding a historic power play and then a historic PK, both of which are unlikely to be repeated.

The powerplay wasn't historic. It was a net negative past round 2. Draisaitl with a broken finger completely eliminated the cross ice play & McDavid hadn't been able to shoot all year. Their number is good - but beatable by this group - due to Vancouver and LA mediocrity in the playoffs. In the regular season? They were probably 7-8 points off where they could be next year.

Their PK won't be repeated at that level. Maybe ever. It was a ridiculous run. Should still be pretty good. Same crew of high level PKers and a good coach. Better regular season number, worse playoff number is incoming.

But the idea that they rode specialty teams is not supported by reality. They were 3rd in the NHL in 5v5 GF in the regular season and over 2 5v5 GF/Game in the playoffs. The only other team in the league to do that was Colorado, who played 14 fewer games and had a couple silly games to drive that result. Game 1 vs Dallas?

They are an elite team at any strength by any curve statistically and practically. Haters gonna have to get over that & hope Skinner is more bad than good.

Reactions: capazzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad