The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Weird, flames fan seem to remember 2004 and still trying to convince themselves that the puck crossed the line.

And sometimes the coach tells his team to shoot at 20%.

Sometimes you never know how its going to pan out.
Weird. Considering their shooting percentage was 12%. And sometimes the Cup or Bust crew decide to bust early on.
We can both make excuses but the fact is that no one can predict how things will go during the season or playoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
wether you love them or hate them, you cant underestimate the Edmonton Oilers. they didn't want to load up too much because they wanted to focus on re-signing Draisltl and Mcdavid. overall they are going in with a similar roster after their playoffs so clearly they are a threat in the West again.
Hard to think this isn't more than just a similar roster imo. This is without question an upgraded roster. They added career 29 and 27 goal per 82GP wingers and only lost a career 15 goal per 82GP winger in the process. We're talking about a team that has averaged 301 goals per year over the past 3 seasons, and they probably just added close to 30 or 40 goals to their line up, and potentially more if you believe guys like Janmark + Brown can carry over their playoffs into next season to bump those 8 goals combined to maybe 20-25.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hard to think this isn't more than just a similar roster imo. This is without question an upgraded roster. They added career 29 and 27 goal per 82GP wingers and only lost a career 15 goal per 82GP winger in the process. We're talking about a team that has averaged 301 goals per year over the past 3 seasons, and they probably just added close to 30 or 40 goals to their line up, and potentially more if you believe guys like Janmark + Brown can carry over their playoffs into next season to bump those 8 goals combined to maybe 20-25.

I'm just going by what they finished their season with which is their playoff run. They gained Arvidson but lose Foegle .

they added Skinner but I think they will dump evander kane. who knows.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What are the chances Knob keeps the Janmark-Henrique-Brown line to start next year?

Brown and Janmark are 4th liners, I wouldn't expect an inch of offense from that line. They are the teams dual PK beasts.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
What are the chances Knob keeps the Janmark-Henrique-Brown line to start next year?

Brown and Janmark are 4th liners, I wouldn't expect an inch of offense from that line. They are the teams dual PK beasts.
Janmark has averaged 12 goals per 82 games through his career. Brown about 15 per 82.

I wouldn't call that zero offence. If the line stays together, they could be good for 25-40 goals.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The only teams with more goals last year than Edmonton were Colorado, Toronto and Dallas. All three of those teams have worse forwards now (Nuke, Bertuzzi, Pavelski, etc leaving) while Edmonton added Skinner and Arvidsson.

You can absolutely argue that Edmonton has one of the best offensive forward groups in the NHL.

Hopefully a full season of Henrique and Holloway help as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm just going by what they finished their season with which is their playoff run. They gained Arvidson but lose Foegle .

they added Skinner but I think they will dump evander kane. who knows.
Fair, but I think Arvidsson and Skinner are both massive upgrades on a guy like Foegele who just hit his 1st 20 goal season because of Leon Draisaitl.

That said, I don't necessarily think they'll dump Kane unless they have another move waiting to get them a big upgrade on defence. I think they'll give him a chance to get healthy after playing all year through a hernia. He's been good to start the past 2 seasons prior to the flue wrist laceration and then the start of this year before he developed the hernia. He's still a unique element to their forward group when he's healthy and he showed it in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs before the injury became too much for him to fully play his game.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

it seems like a good chance

That line will be deployed as a shut down line, and should be fairly effective in doing so. I also don’t expect much offence but I wouldn’t sleep on them putting up okay numbers. Besides the top 6 is meant to do the heavy lifting scoring goals

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson

That top 6 is basically 2 elite top lines that can be deployed back to back shifts to sustain pressure. All the bottom 6 needs to do is shut down and gain o zone face offs. Any offence would be a bonus lol

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bizarre that the Panthers win a Cup only for their fans to feel the need to incessantly troll fans of a team that they probably hadn't watched a game of prior to the Final.

Nucks, Flames, Leafs fans I can understand, but Panthers? You won. It's ok to just be happy and not act like complete dickheads. Go celebrate, take a breath.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

That line will be deployed as a shut down line, and should be fairly effective in doing so. I also don’t expect much offence but I wouldn’t sleep on them putting up okay numbers. Besides the top 6 is meant to do the heavy lifting scoring goals

RNH - Drai - Arvidsson

That top 6 is basically 2 elite top lines that can be deployed back to back shifts to sustain pressure. All the bottom 6 needs to do is shut down and gain o zone face offs. Any offence would be a bonus lol
I wouldn't underestimate that 3rd line offensively. Brown with his skating legs back, and a summer to train instead of just rehab is a completely different player in my eyes. Janmark's year last year was an outlier in his career offensively. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 40P for Henrique, 30-35 for Brown, and 20-25 for Janmark. That line could be good for 30-40 goals next year.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Janmark has averaged 12 goals per 82 games through his career. Brown about 15 per 82.

I wouldn't call that zero offence. If the line stays together, they could be good for 25-40 goals.

The only thing is, this will really limit what Holloway and McLeod can do being on the 4th line. Holloway is the one I would like to see what he could do in a full year playing on Leon's wing. The kid is the real deal.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Bizarre that the Panthers win a Cup only for their fans to feel the need to incessantly troll fans of a team that they probably hadn't watched a game of prior to the Final.

Nucks, Flames, Leafs fans I can understand, but Panthers? You won. It's ok to just be happy and not act like complete dickheads. Go celebrate, take a breath.
Nah it’s not enough.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The only thing is, this will really limit what Holloway and McLeod can do being on the 4th line. Holloway is the one I would like to see what he could do in a full year playing on Leon's wing. The kid is the real deal.
Think it's more likely the Oilers run their 3rd and 4th lines like two 3rd lines that get even minutes. I'd expect them to basically roll 4 lines at all times for most of the year to limit McDavid and Draisaitl minutes, and the PP and PK minutes will be fairly evenly split between the top and bottom 6. The only guy right now who doesn't really play special teams is Holloway and he might start getting some looks on the 2nd PP and PK unit now that they have enough skilled players to run a proper 2nd unit.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

RNH - Drai - Arvidsson

True that it's two elite top lines and a shut down line. But come playoff time I bet Knob tries to go with a more balanced lineup like he did this playoffs. I think Skinner gets a shot on the top line LW to see if he has chemistry with McDavid. He's a shoot first player too so his game goes perfect with McDavid. But Skinner isn't all that fast of a skater, so he may struggle to keep up.

Leon finally has full time wingers, no more revolving door of wingers. And the best, no more Foegele in the top 2 lines. I want to see what Arvidsson can do with Leon, Viktor is a very good player who plays hard. Kings will really miss him, I can't believe they let him walk.

Reactions: snipes and La Bamba

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
They may as well have been. Nobody remembers 2nd place, they didn't accomplish anything.

The players themselves said it was cup or bust last year. And it ended up being bust.

How do you function in your day to day life?

Do you work? Do you interact with people?

The amount of space the Oilers take up in your brain is clearly not healthy.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Holloway may or may not get a lot of time in the top six this season, but the bottom six could see more minutes than last.

Last season McDavid and Draisaitl were outside the top 5 in forward ice time for the first time in forever.

With 4 solid lines, their ice time may drop even more.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

Panthers fans know how hard it is to win a cup. Only Oilers fans would go into a season with 32 teams in it, and expect to waltz their way to the cup.

Do you know how hard it is to go to back to back finals?

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Panthers fans know how hard it is to win a cup. Only Oilers fans would go into a season with 32 teams in it, and expect to waltz their way to the cup.

Do you know how hard it is to go to back to back finals?

Wait which is it ... making a Cup Final is hard or it means nothing? You're all over the place.

Plenty of teams have made multiple Cup Finals in the last ten years too, it's not that rare. Vegas, Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa. Before that Chicago, LA, Boston, Detroit.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nucks and Flames fans just need to bow to the Kings of the West, the Edmonton Oilers. All this fear and salt on display by them in this thread can’t be healthy.

Just accept that the Oilers are your masters and everything becomes so much easier for ya’ll.

• Haha
Reactions: olafsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad