The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If there's one top 4 dman that the Oilers should be trying to get, it's Ekblad. But no team is taking Ceci on his contract so the best thing to do next year is move Broberg into the top 4 and see if he can handle being the #4D. I think he can, he was very good in the playoffs.

Plenty of teams would take Ceci, he has Cup Finals experience and his advanced metrics in the playoffs away from Nurse were fantastic. He also has a knack for showing up in game 7s, he had a goal in the Vancouver game 7 and set up Janmark's goal with a gorgeous pass in game 7 of the Cup Final, before that in 2022 he scored in game 7 against LA.

3.25 mill at only one year remaining, plenty of teams would be fine with taking that player on, the Oilers don't want to move him for now I don't think. 3 million gets you nothing on the open market especially for right shot D.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers' defence is actually pretty decent. People are writing about it on here like it's garbage, but it isn't.

Bouchard and Eckholm are, like, the best pairing in the Western Conference. God, I wish Eckholm was about six years younger. But we'll take what we can. (Fun fact: Eckholm scored 1 fewer even strength point that Steven Stamkos last season.)

Broberg and Nurse (if that lasts) are so-so. Broberg suddenly jumped up to NHL-ready level in the playoffs against tough competition, so we all assume he'll be a regular from next season. And he seems to be the only guy who can play with Nurse and not look really bad. (They're both lefties, unfortunately.) Nurse was kind of 'off' all last year, and he was dreadful in the first three rounds of the playoffs. If he can get back even to his 2022-23 level, they're fine.

Ceci - Kulak is okay -- not great, but okay. I actually like both these players quite a bit. (Ceci suddenly looked great when he wasn't paired with Nurse.) As a bottom pairing, they're quite good.

The fly in the ointment, of course, is Nurse and his cap-eating contract. However, I suspect the club will make at least one major move on defense before the season starts.

The D is good.

They were something like 4th lowest goals against in the regular season under Knoblaugh for like 70 games.

In the playoffs of teams that played past round 1 they had the second lowest goals against, just a hair below the Florida Panthers. They had a lower goals against in the playoffs than the Rangers with Shesterkin playing out of his mind.

In the Finals head to head against Florida, the Oilers allowed fewer goals against than the Panthers did.

Now the question is how is that happening, how is that possible, that's a fair ask. One I would say Ekholm is probably the most underrated D in the league, he should have been in the Norris conversation.

Secondly, Knoblaugh (and his staff Coffey + Stuart) was the best coach in the NHL last year (he won't win coach of the year, but he should). He completely changed the Oilers defensive zone structure, their PK went from garbage to elite to unbelievable in the playoffs, and in every one of the 4 rounds, the Oilers were able to grind all of LA, Vancouver, Dallas, and even Florida's offense to a trickle the longer those series went on.

LA scored at a 1.3 goals per game rate from in game 3/4/5 (lost in 5).

Dallas scored at a 1.3 goals per game rate in game 4/5/6 (lost in 6).

Vancouver scored at a 1.75 goals per game rate in game 4/5/6/7 (lost in 7)

Florida even scored at a 1.75 goals per game rate in game 4/5/6/7 (were able to eek it out in 7).

All four opponents had their GA choked out to under 2 goals per game by the later half of the series. To me this shows a coaching staff that was successfully making adjustments the longer each one of these series' went along, if you're holding teams to under 2 goals per the back half of every series you're giving yourself a chance to win on D alone. Knoblaugh and his staff did an outstanding job with the D, there's no other way to slice it. It also shows coaching is incredibly important for how a D performs.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Plenty of teams would take Ceci, he has Cup Finals experience and his advanced metrics in the playoffs away from Nurse were fantastic. He also has a knack for showing up in game 7s, he had a goal in the Vancouver game 7 and set up Janmark's goal with a gorgeous pass in game 7 of the Cup Final, before that in 2022 he scored in game 7 against LA.

3.25 mill at only one year remaining, plenty of teams would be fine with taking that player on, the Oilers don't want to move him for now I don't think. 3 million gets you nothing on the open market especially for right shot D.

I can see your point. But if you have the opportunity to upgrade Ceci for someone like Ekblad or Trouba, you do it any day of the week without any hesitation.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Also riding a historic power play and then a historic PK, both of which are unlikely to be repeated.
The Oilers power play was worse last year than the prior seasons.

So clearly proven wrong they can't repeat. If anything is more of a given.

Penalty kill. OK well take 90% instead of 98% 😆

Reactions: Coffey

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
  • Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
D play is massively dependent on coaching more than people give it credit for. If the Oilers under Knoblaugh aren't a text book example of that (4th best GA in the regular season under Knoblaugh and 2nd best in the playoffs per game past round 1 after being horrible to start the season with Woodcroft) then you can also look at other examples.

People on HFBoards not even 15-16 months ago were saying Florida had one of the worst D in the league after losing Weegar and Gudas after the Huberdeau trade, but Maurice stabilized that. Tocchet took the hapless Canucks and improved them defensively.

Sutter when hired for the Flames improved their defensive metrics substantially too, unfortunately for them the players grew tired of his old school style fast and checked out.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
And they were one game away from losing to Vancouver playing basically an ebug goalie.

Matchups matter and the Avs and Knights match up well against the Oilers. They were fortunate to avoid both.
You guys really need to give up this narrative, it's honestly pathetic at this point

Agreed. Last year was their shot, it's downhill from here.
They're a better team now than they were a few weeks ago.

I don't think people really how much Leon is going to benefit 5 on 5 playing with 2 legit top-6 wingers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The defs and goalies tho lol

The D that was 4th best in the regular season under Knoblaugh for goals against and 2nd best in the playoffs (for teams past round 1)?

I'd say they're OK on that front too.

People who laughed at the Knoblaugh/Coffey hire were dead wrong. That was the most significant move made by any NHL team (roster or coaching or management wise) last season, completely changed the Oilers and propelled them to game 7 of a Cup Final.

Reactions: PuckG and Coffey

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The D that was 4th best in the regular season under Knoblaugh for goals against and 2nd best in the playoffs (for teams past round 1)?

I'd say they're OK on that front too.

People who laughed at the Knoblaugh/Coffey hire were dead wrong. That was the most significant move made by any NHL team (roster or coaching or management wise) last season, completely changed the Oilers and propelled them to game 7 of a Cup Final.
Teams will figure out the Oilers system in the off season. If I remember correctly, Woodcroft had the same bump in play and teams adapted eventually.

The defense and goaltending are still huge liabilities, whether Oilers fans want to admit it or not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Teams will figure out the Oilers system in the off season. If I remember correctly, Woodcroft had the same bump in play and teams adapted eventually.

The defense and goaltending are still huge liabilities, whether Oilers fans want to admit it or not.

You act like Dallas, LA, Vancouver, and Florida weren't trying, all of those teams I'm sure tried to exploit any weakness they could and scouted the crap out of the Oilers. Playoffs is big boy hockey, if you can make it there through multiple rounds, you are legit.

Knoblaugh is simply a very good coach (that or Coffey is a genius, which I mean wouldn't exactly be that shocking seeing as how he's one of the best to ever play).

People said this same crap about even Florida not that long ago on this board, Zito apparently set the Panthers back years by giving away Weegar and losing other D like Gudas and they had a terrible D and Montour is a joke etc. etc. etc. ... funny how those posters have f*** all to say the last 12 months.

There is no way to "fake it" defensively in the playoffs, not even for one run, I don't buy that for a second. The level of competition in the playoffs is way too high especially past round 1. Maaaaaybe you could pull if off for a regular and maaaaybe one playoff round win but even that I think is highly improbable.

The Oilers don't play any kind of "magic system" defensively anyway. They just play fairly basic, standard defensive structure under Knoblaugh. There's nothing gimmicky about it, it's about good positioning and not taking unnecessary risks.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Ah yes, the Oilers are the only team in the league whose systems will be figured out. Every other teams systems will be ignored and not analyzed by their opponents.

Great contribution man. Truly a piece of genius.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ah yes, the Oilers are the only team in the league whose systems will be figured out. Every other teams systems will be ignored and not analyzed by their opponents.

Great contribution man. Truly a piece of genius.

Pretty much lol. It's not even like the Oilers have some kind of gimmick system or play some kind of like trap that you can beat.

It's just simple emphasis on positioning and making plays. Coffey giving it to the D and challenging them to make plays instead of blindly just ringing the puck around the boards was a giant kick in the ass for a lot of the d-corps.

Knoblaugh is just a very detail oriented coach. Coffey is a guy who challenges D and is fairly blunt. Probably both exactly what the Oilers were lacking.

Reactions: PuckG

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Even after eating your words and embarrassing yourself all playoffs, you're still yapping.

Pipe down

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers under Knoblaugh defensively play quite a bit like the Pittsburgh Penguins in Crosby's Finals runs, they were able to win even without Letang and with guys like Justin Schultz playing huge minutes.

You just need a structure in place, there's no reason to take excessive risks when you have players like a McDavid or Crosby or Draisatil or Malkin ... those guys will generate AAA scoring chances at some point during a game almost without fail, no reason to press too hard.

I'm not sure why Woodcroft had shit going on like D pinching up all the time and D chasing players to the blue line abandoning the front of the net.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Significant? Not seeing it.

I don't think many are sold on Skinner either.

Nothing McDavid does will shock me at this point, but I think it is unlikely he will beat the point record for a single playoff, and based on the roster, I think he needs to.

Toronto and Edmonton won the same amount of cups last year, not sure why Oiler fans are acting like they won.

Regardless, Toronto was never mentioned.
It's funny that you say that because the Skinner signing is pretty much universally liked by anyone who is not a bitter Oiler hater. that's fairly easy to look into as well. check out social media, and minus some Leafs, Canucks and Flames homers, it's regarded as a great signing by the Oilers.

Since 2010 Skinner is 7th in 5v5 goals over that span, and only 16 goals away from 2nd place...i would call that significant

you can minimize it all you want, but the FACTS, not your feelings, state he will significantly improve the forward depth.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's funny that you say that because the Skinner signing is pretty much universally liked by anyone who is not a bitter Oiler hater. that's fairly easy to look into as well. check out social media, and minus some Leafs, Canucks and Flames homers, it's regarded as a great signing by the Oilers.

Since 2010 Skinner is 7th in 5v5 goals over that span, and only 16 goals away from 2nd place...i would call that significant

you can minimize it all you want, but the FACTS, not your feelings, state he will significantly improve the forward depth.
To the average HF poster the Oilers somehow magically got their way to the Cup Final through a combination of sheer luck, their opponents sucking, historically unrepeatable numbers, and so forth.

Hopefully the average NHL team thinks the same thing this upcoming season.

Reactions: Juxta Position

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Again, the argument is flawed. You can't remove a player of his calibur AND not allow the team to use his cap hit, then try to say they wouldn't be as good as if it's some kind of knock on the team.

you remove McDavid, you have 12.5 mil to replace him, that's still one outstanding player or two very good players to add to an already very deep team...yes they would definitely be a playoff team without McDavid and are allowed to use his cap hit to replace the player. Are they as good in that scenario? no, but they are still firmly a playoff team. With the depth they have now and McDavid they are a Legitimate contender, without him, they are still a playoff team without question.

you can't take a player like McDavid out, who makes as much money as he does, then say the team wouldn't make the playoffs without allowing that team to spend the money he would've been making. that's specious reasoning.

Every team gets to spend to 88 million, McDavid is part of that 88 mil, if you remove him then say "Oilers you only get 75.5 million" then you knock them for not making the playoffs when you purposely handicapped them to prove a wrong-minded narrative, you're being disingenuous.
if u remove Barkov u have 10m available and not replaced by anyone. okay so McDavid can be replaced by someone that makes 2.5m

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Ekblad looked like a bum all cup finals long.

The straw that stirs the drink on Florida's blueline is Gustav Forsling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In conclusion Edmonton is now an unstoppable powerhouse that will easily waltz their way to a Cup win.

No, they were the best team in the West last year and came extremely close to winning a Cup. Even with no changes they would still be forecast to be one of the best teams in the league, with a couple of upgrades, well you can just add to whatever they were already slotted in as being.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In conclusion Edmonton is now an unstoppable powerhouse that will easily waltz their way to a Cup win.
if every post like this was consolidated into one single post this thread would only be 6 pages long.

Don't like Oiler fans being happy about the state of their team? Don't open the thread.

The defs and goalies tho lol
it was good enough to get us to within one game of a Cup.

Edmonton's been a strong defensive team for a couple years now. Skinner was up and down, but he's only 25 and had a pretty solid final two rounds.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Stuart Skinner has that many goals?

That is who I am not sold on.

Regardless, Jeff Skinner scoring in 2010 is irrelevant to today and a huge reach to try to make Skinner look better.

Over the last 3 years (a much more realistic timeframe) he is 26th, just FYI using 5v5 goals as an indicator that a player is good makes Matthews look like the best player in the league.

Regardless, that signing is good, not great like people are making it out to be.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
All the salt in this thread just confirms the Oilers absolutely killed free agency day. Haters can cry and troll all they want, but the Oilers are still Cup favorites like they were last year and just got better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad