The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Make Jeff Jackson the permanent gm. This guy just resigned all of the important pieces signings from last off season and deadline pickup (Henrique) and replaced Foegale with Arvisdsson. Combine that depth with the best player available in world and best 1-2 c punch and you have the best forward group in the league. Dallas is still deeper but they have nobody close to McDavid or drai.

This team will always have problems if they can't stop the other team from scoring, and shockingly, that's not just on the defense and goalie.

As long as Edmonton has mediocre team defense and no shut down forwards, they're not going to see the success they had this season. The fact they signed Skinner and Arvidsson shows they aren't even aware to fix the issue. They'll continue to spin on their tires for wins, especially since they don't even have a goalie to compensate. Leafs in the same situation. Bruins are an example of a team that keeps winning because of this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder what position was largely responsible for Florida winning games 1-3. We'll probably never know.

If you're going to blame one position for games 1-3, then you have to give them credit for shutting down Florida to a large degree in game 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Oilers D limited Florida to under 2 goals per game for the final 4 games of the series, that was Florida's lowest scoring playoff round (per game) in the last two years outside of the Vegas series where they got blown out and even there this was close. Vegas held Florida to 2.4 goals per game in Final ... Edmonton held them to 2.57.

That's pretty f***ing good.

And this was really a pattern in every playoff round the Oilers played, the longer they played one opponent the better they got at shutting them down. Dallas and Vancouver also had their offense grind to a halt by the end of their series, LA never really even got going.

Knoblaugh/Coffey's system works.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This team will always have problems if they can't stop the other team from scoring, and shockingly, that's not just on the defense and goalie.

As long as Edmonton has mediocre team defense and no shut down forwards, they're not going to see the success they had this season. The fact they signed Skinner and Arvidsson shows they aren't even aware to fix the issue. They'll continue to spin on their tires for wins, especially since they don't even have a goalie to compensate. Leafs in the same situation. Bruins are an example of a team that keeps winning because of this.
They don’t have mediocre team defence though.

So we saw success last year with same defence. But we won’t see success this year with same defence.

You make no sense

Reactions: TKB21

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Preds arent in the same tier as Edmonton or Dallas' forward groups.

That Nashville bottom six gets very bland, very fast. Although, to be fair, there is still a ton of time + a trade deadline to address that.
Forsberg
Stamkos
Marchessault
ROR

Cant touch the Stars depth, but those are 4 heavy hitters still. And adding Skjei to an already great D.

And D+G>>>>>>>Oilers.

They don’t have mediocre team defence though.

So we saw success last year with same defence. But we won’t see success this year with same defence.

You make no sense
How did you spell sense correctly, but defense incorrectly so many times?!

Their success was purely special teams. Can that repeat? Sure. is it likely, no.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

getting one win away from a Stanley Cup isn't "spinning their tires".

Every team has question marks heading into next season. For example, Demko is made of glass and virtually every Canucks forward had a career year in shooting percentage. That's going to be extremely difficult to replicate, especially considering their roster is lateral to last year's at best.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
If you're going to blame one position for games 1-3, then you have to give them credit for shutting down Florida to a large degree in game 4, 5, 6, and 7.
Goaltending set the tone for the series and largely enabled a 3-0 series lead. The truth hurts.
Oilers D limited Florida to under 2 goals per game for the final 4 games of the series,
By then it was too late. I know what you're going to say, 2 goals away from winning it all, sure in theory. But there is a reason only 1 team has ever come back from 3 down in the Cup final.

that was Florida's lowest scoring playoff round (per game) in the last two years outside of the Vegas series where they got blown out and even there this was close. Vegas held Florida to 2.4 goals per game in Final ... Edmonton held them to 2.57.

That's pretty f***ing good.

And this was really a pattern in every playoff round the Oilers played, the longer they played one opponent the better they got at shutting them down. Dallas and Vancouver also had their offense grind to a halt by the end of their series, LA never really even got going.

Knoblaugh/Coffey's system works.
If that what makes you feel better yes the system works brilliantly.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Forsberg
Stamkos
Marchessault
ROR

Cant touch the Stars depth, but those are 4 heavy hitters still. And adding Skjei to an already great D.

And D+G>>>>>>>Oilers.

Their success was purely special teams. Can that repeat? Sure. is it likely, no.
No it wasn’t purely special teams. But that was a one part of it. Our PP is has been historically the best for years now. And our PK has always been decent just due to the personnel on it, but took a huge uptick under new coaching last year. Both the personnel and coaching are staying. Just like with our generational PP, same personnel and coaching for years. It’s not a guarantee that it continues but its a good bet.

That is the correct spelling. It’s like color vs. Colour. Both are correct. Here educate yourself like I’m educating you on how special teams work:

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Goaltending set the tone for the series and largely enabled a 3-0 series lead. The truth hurts.

By then it was too late. I know what you're going to say, 2 goals away from winning it all, sure in theory. But there is a reason only 1 team has ever come back from 3 down in the Cup final.

Game 7 can go either way the previous 6 games don't really have a bearing on what happens in a 7th game, the Oilers had a shot.

Draisaitl not being able to shoot the puck with a broken rib and broken finger and having an unheard of (for him) 0 goals in a series is basically I think the deciding factor in the series.

If he scores his more normal 3-5 goals per series that he generally gets, that could have easily tipped one of the games the other way.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The team that just went 7 games in the NHL finals is pretty good (please don't flame me, I am new so I apologize if my opinions aren't great)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You're right, it was all Bob and Skinner that decided the series. Nothing else in that series mattered.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Basically they added $7 mil in cap space on forward and:
1) Didn't get a $7 mil player back or a core player
2) Didn't get a player/s that play whole seasons
3) Didn't fill any holes they needed on 1D, 2D, or 1G

So this is a headscratcher and not sure what the bigger question is...why did the Oilers do this and why do Oiler fans think this is good. Personally if I were them, I think they should have held off, maybe brought up AHL'ers, and kept the cap space for the TDL and gotten who they needed then.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

So this is a headscratcher and not sure what the bigger question is...why did the Oilers do this and why do Oiler fans think this is good. Personally if I were them, I think they should have held off, maybe brought up AHL'ers, and kept the cap space for the TDL and gotten who they needed then.
This is exactly the logic Chiarelli used in the 2017-18 season. You can't add at the TDL if you don't make it there.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

holes for 1D 2D ????

Bouchard/Ekholm were literally one of the best top pairs in the league last year, regular season and the playoffs. Find me 5 top pairings better than them

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Forsberg
Stamkos
Marchessault
ROR

And D+G>>>>>>>Oilers.

Edm had more even strength goals than Florida in the finals. And besides, every cup winner has had some for of great special teams whether that be a solid pk, pp or both. You need it come playoff time. Trying to act like edm relied on it is no different than Florida. The panthers pk won them the finals despite having an awful pp. but if both were bad there’s no shot they even make the finals. it’s like you just started watching hockey or something.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Edm had more even strength goals than Florida in the finals. And besides, every cup winner has had some for of great special teams whether that be a solid pk, pp or both. You need it come playoff time. Trying to act like edm relied on it is no different than Florida. The panthers pk won them the finals despite having an awful pp. but if both were bad there’s no shot they even make the finals. it’s like you just started watching hockey or something.
No it wasn’t purely special teams. But that was a one part of it. Our PP is has been historically the best for years now. And our PK has always been decent just due to the personnel on it, but took a huge uptick under new coaching last year. Both the personnel and coaching are staying. Just like with our generational PP, same personnel and coaching for years. It’s not a guarantee that it continues but its a good bet.

That is the correct spelling. It’s like color vs. Colour. Both are correct. Here educate yourself like I’m educating you on how special teams work:
The Oilers have had a middle of the pack PK for years and then a legendary PK in this years playoffs. That is highly unlikely to continue and far from a safe bet.

And using your own quillbot...

Attachments

• B.png
    B.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
The Oilers have had a middle of the pack PK for years and then a legendary PK in this years playoffs. That is highly unlikely to continue and far from a safe bet.

It's almost as if having different coaches and systems affects how the team plays.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
holes for 1D 2D ????

Bouchard/Ekholm were literally one of the best top pairs in the league last year, regular season and the playoffs. Find me 5 top pairings better than them

Not going to bother. If you think either of these guys are top pairing on a Cup contender team, what's the point of debating? At best, Bouchard is a Shattenkirk-type #3D with an over-inflated point total. And Ekholm is a decent defenseman but will be 35 by the end of next year and was he even top pair in his prime? It's just a matter of if your D corps is shallow, the best player on that corps will look better despite not being that good simply due to bias and getting to play a role and minutes a better player normally would have.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Same personel and same coach with the playoffs bringing the best out of the personnel, it nots a guarantee but it could happen. Regardless, Taking the totality of the team, they will be Cup Contenders anyways. As Vegas odds predicted last year before the season started and Vegas odds is predicting this year be off the season started. So maybe your assessment of our chances based on some tunnel vision view of special teams is wrong.

Hm so grammar mistakes you yourself couldn’t pick up on the first time around. I’m supposed to care? Anyways, defense is still spelt correctly. Glad I was able to educate you.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Forsberg
Stamkos
Marchessault
ROR

And D+G>>>>>>>Oilers.

Yikes, clearly you have no f***ing clue about anything oilers, for Christ sakes your trying to spin that Nashville is better then Edmonton? Bahahahahaba

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
It's almost as if having different coaches and systems affects how the team plays.
Same personel and same coach with the playoffs bringing the best out of the personnel, it nots a guarantee but it could happen. Regardless, Taking the totality of the team, they will be Cup Contenders anyways. As Vegas odds predicted last year before the season started and Vegas odds is predicting this year be off the season started. So maybe your assessment of our chances based on some tunnel vision view of special teams is wrong.

Hm so grammar mistakes you yourself couldn’t pick up on the first time around. I’m supposed to care? Anyways, defense is still spelt correctly. Glad I was able to educate you.
100% coaching made a difference. My point was it is highly unlikely to sustain at that level and I would argue any of those 3 Central will be better next season. Im not saying theyre going to miss the playoffs, but will be shocked if they have the same playoff success. My prediction is losing in the conference finals to the Central.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad