Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
4th period reporting that Marner has agreed to 4 teams:

If this is true, my guess it's 4 teams that absolutely could never get him under their cap.
The source is old now from the 26th, I can't imagine anything gets done now unfortunately now that most teams have made their signings and are capped out, particularly contenders and playoff teams.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You didn't Gary?

Games 1-4: 37 pts in 31 gp (98 point pace over 82 games)
Games 5-7: 8 pts in 17 gp (39 point pace over 82 games)
I want playoff success and it doesn't make sense to spend that much cap space on someone who gets smaller as the games get bigger. If he compiles points when there's no pressure and then turns into a creampuff when the pressure's on, what good is he?

Seems to me any reasonable person would interpret that as you dismissing his games 1 through 4 contributions and highlighting the "cream puffy" nature of his game 5 through 7, you went out of your way to say games 5 through 7 are more important and that Marner is a cream puff that can't hack it... Gary do you know where the derogatory term Cream Puff comes from when referring to a man? Do we allow slurs on this forum now? I strike it up as to ignorance vs purposeful intent to slur... at any rate I think the posters on here are educated enough to make their point without going where you did.

I mean how ridiculous to say there is no pressure in games 1 through 4 ... like really ridiculous self serving framing there Gary...
HAHAHAHAHA! You're so transparent.

Hey Genius, tell me Marner's record in round 2 and beyond....

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This thread should be closed tbh until more info comes in

Same 2 sides arguing pointlessly.

The season isnt hapenning so dont get why we have a player thread active without any news coming for marners future in toronto.

If training camp had started could see reason to have this open, buts its been like 10 days since NHL season ended.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Berube wants his players and team to be competitive, fast and heavy.

That was the headline. There is no way a massive Marner extension fits into this statement. How full of it are you Maple Leafs? We shall find out soon.

Why does no one think coaches can help players? Marner under Babcock in the playoffs was way better than Marner under Keefe. I do think Berube is going to have a big effect on all the players because there is going to be accountability.

Keefe did not demand more of the players. I do think it’s going to be a harder year for Marner and Berube is going to demand he play a certain way or sit.

Reactions: ACC1224

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I want to keep Marner, I'd still only offer 8 x 11. Nobody is going to give him north of 7 × 13, which even then is doubtful he'd take it. Having to move awY from family, friends, his new inlaws, his favourite team.

sure he won't jump on it until the 12th hour but he'd take it.

Just because William got 11.5, it won't cause him to leave the team.
Marner isn't re-signing for less than Nylander.
What did you hear?
Just a guess: Marner might waive for the right team.
The drama is worthy of the Young and the Restless. :popcorn:
il_340x270.5702842849_r43w.jpg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner isn't re-signing for less than Nylander.

Just a guess: Marner might waive for the right team.

il_340x270.5702842849_r43w.jpg

I think that should be a given! I still think there’s a possibility a trade could happen. My dark horse is the Buffalo Sabres. Keeps Marner close to home. I think Marner is the type of guy who if moved wants to show he can light up the leafs.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
:popcorn: salty

Hoping we get rid of this playoff cancer and trusting MLSE to do it are two separate things. Most of the fanbase hoped that the tantrum-throwing, bench crying stud on the best contract in the league would be traded by now, but you have to be realistic.

No one talks about this league being watered down more than Leafs Nation. Yet we all still somehow feel, there are not enough teams in this league to get rid of this bum. Not while on NMC .

Sit him, let him wave and trade him. In this order.
Something must be happening. Marner doesn't want to waive, and a trade offer has already been secured and has been presented to the Marner camp. The Quartexx Management Social Media Division's Marner Defense Team's contractor Rocket Security is in full influencer mode in a FUTILE attempt to make po' Li'l Mitchy's dream to be the highest paid Leaf come true again.

I'm ready for the shaming language. Go ahead, call me a "childish hater". You just out yourselves.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Something must be happening. Marner doesn't want to waive, and a trade offer has already been secured and has been presented to the Marner camp. The Quartexx Management Social Media Division's Marner Defense Team's contractor Rocket Security is in full influencer mode in a FUTILE attempt to make po' Li'l Mitchy's dream to be the highest paid Leaf come true again.

I'm ready for the shaming language. Go ahead, call me a "childish hater". You just out yourselves.

You do act like a a child though sometimes in this thread lol. I don’t know if you’re a hater, but you just have a weird way of beating your point to death.

Reactions: Metroid

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why does no one think coaches can help players? Marner under Babcock in the playoffs was way better than Marner under Keefe. I do think Berube is going to have a big effect on all the players because there is going to be accountability.

Keefe did not demand more of the players. I do think it’s going to be a harder year for Marner and Berube is going to demand he play a certain way or sit.
Coaches can have a positive effect and I imagine Berube will be an improvement on Keefe. Still, coaches don't win the games, players are the ones who need to get it done and I don't think Keefe has told them not to score goals in game 7.

Maybe this team comes to life under Berube and Marner leads the way. But it seems like a longshot to say the least.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They have 4 players taking up 53% of the cap which forced them to sign a couple of older D and not address the real need, they have to take a chance on unproven goaltending, and couldn’t add to the forwards. The hope is on the coach being able to get these guys to perform when it matters.

Keefe was really bad, so I understand why they’re giving it one more chance, but they have to fix cap allocation if they want to get to the eastern final.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They have 4 players taking up 53% of the cap which forced them to sign a couple of older D and not address the real need, they have to take a chance on unproven goaltending, and couldn’t add to the forwards. The hope is on the coach being able to get these guys to perform when it matters.

Keefe was really bad, so I understand why they’re giving it one more chance, but they have to fix cap allocation if they want to get to the eastern final.

I think they are, I don’t think Marner will be back. Whether it’s a trade or letting him walk

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I remember one time he was headed towards the corner going for the puck, then he noticed a Boston player headed in the same direction and he pivoted on a dime to strategically avoid the Boston player, and the corner, and the puck. I remember thinking that his edgework looked as good as it ever has in that moment and it also seemed to be evidence of him being the smartest player in hockey history as some have said that he is here - don't go where the puck is, go where it's going to be later ala the great Gretzky. I mean that time the puck didn't come to him but whatever, I'm sure it all works out in the long run.
Just one time. PL has posted many videos about Marner's contact avoidance.

Maybe Conn Smythe winner ROR knows something first hand that the fans here do not?
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard that ROR wanted
Mitchy around....

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Tbf I’d expect our 11.634 and 10.893 men to be two of those 12, probably higher up

It’s not even just the cap hit, it’s also the players talent level. Matthews and Marner based on pure talent should not be 22-23 in the league. Ffs Matthews just scored 69 goals and has averaged over 50 for his career. He should be able to give us a 45 goal pace every playoffs, probably more since he is in his prime. He’s also paced for 40 assists for his career, so we should be able to get that in the playoffs too

Marner finishes top 5-7 in assists/game every year since 18-19. He should be able to give us more than 2 assists in a series. He also has paced or got 30 goals every year since 20-21, he should be able to muster us more than 1 goal in a series

Even if Matthews made 10x8 and Marner 8.5x8, they’d be underperforming their talent, instead of their contract. These guys are superstars, the elite of the elite during the RS, why can’t they replicate a decent portion of it in the playoffs
200w.gif

I don't think they should sign Marner.

However, if they do want to go that route he's not taking less than 13.38% of the cap (in line with his previous deal). This means he will want a minimum of 12.3M per year (92M cap).

This also means

Matthews - 13.5
Nylander - 11.5
Marner - 12.3
Rielly - 7.5

44.8M in the core or 48% of the cap.

Now you have to extend Knies, Woll's extension kicks in, extend McCabe (or replace him), and replace Tavares. This is just to keep the same team.

This is a disaster waiting to happen and basically the Leafs are finished for the next 3-4 seasons if he's re-signed. A treadmill team. Their only way out is to restructure the cap and get rid of both Marner + Tavares.
OH LOOK! More FACTS!

its-just-facts-qhnyukzr4lnifx47.gif

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
4th period reporting that Marner has agreed to 4 teams:

If this is true, my guess it's 4 teams that absolutely could never get him under their cap.
Hey Kurtz and AC/DC? Do you put any tock in this rumour? Or do you only listen to hearsay from "Insiders" like MLSE paid employee EF?

This thread should be closed tbh until more info comes in

Same 2 sides arguing pointlessly.

The season isnt hapenning so dont get why we have a player thread active without any news coming for marners future in toronto.

If training camp had started could see reason to have this open, buts its been like 10 days since NHL season ended.
Why do you want to limit debate? If you don't like this thread don't read it. Click on the "Ignore Thread" button on the right.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
You do act like a a child though sometimes in this thread lol. I don’t know if you’re a hater, but you just have a weird way of beating your point to death.
Just a reaction to the childishness on the "other side" Franky. Fight like with like. BTW, you do realize that there are paid influencers in here, right? I know you're not one, but to a logical neutral poster they're EASY to spot.

I agree but I think it’s what they are going to do.
Most likely. Because they're COWARDS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad