The Oilers have no doubt the best forward group in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was hoping they would fumble things after their Cup loss.

Turns out, when a lot of teams were throwing around stupid money, they signed some of the best contracts of the day.

I think they are going to be a force next season.
Still lots of work to do but definitely a good free agency.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Edmonton out scored Florida in the final. 97 broke the assist record. But sure team needs more offense.
Oilers are far from a complete product. At the trade deadline is where it starts to get interesting.

Maybe another top 6 player and a top 4 D?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well thank god they fixed the Oilers' anemic offense:

View attachment 891411

View attachment 891412

I thought they were going to have a serious problem producing.
Edmonton was 10th in goals against in the regular season and - by your own numbers - allowed a grand total of .02 more goals against than Florida in the playoffs.

Improvement is improvement. Scoring one more goal or preventing one more goal against have the same net effect on winning games or losing them.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
certainly wasn't because of defense that they were down 3-0

they scored 2 goals in the first 8 periods of the series
doesnt mean their D is good though, looking at the Oilers depth charts it feels little underwhelming. but I mean Pens proved you can win a cup with subpar D. but I wouldnt really say their D is elite or anything like that
one hell of a season for Bouchard though, be interesting to see if he can do that again.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
doesnt mean their D is good though, looking at the Oilers depth charts it feels little underwhelming. but I mean Pens proved you can win a cup with subpar D. but I wouldnt really say their D is elite or anything like that
one hell of a season for Bouchard though, be interesting to see if he can do that again.

the Oilers finished top 10 in GA and were within 2 goals of winning the Cup with said D...I'd say that's "good enough"

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Im shocked the Oilers went near this. Skinner wont get PP1 time and obv you dont want him ruining your PK, so 5v5 only is where he will shine. Hell put up 30 and now youre anchoring his terrible defense to Drais's already terrible defense. This is a net negative move.

And thats ignoring the culture/cancer/whatever rumors he has in Buffalo.

Attachments

• B.png
    B.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 1

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
the Oilers finished top 10 in GA and were within 2 goals of winning the Cup with said D...I'd say that's "good enough"
guess we will see but I have a hard time placing Edmonton's D even in the top 10 league wide.

I disagree with the title of the thread too, I mean if u take McDavid away where does this team place? they even make playoffs?

nice way to show you have no argument

Tkachuk and Panthers were at the exact same position we are this time last year
except their lineup was ALOT stronger overall. you take Barkov or Tkachuk away they likely still make the playoffs. take McDavid away and I dunno its not impossible to make it but I dunno if they make it

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Why should any other team even bother showing up next year? Clearly, according to Oilers fans they are an unstoppable juggernaut.

The only question is how fast they will win the cup. Maybe four straight sweeps.
While nobody is actually stating this, the Flames actually shouldn’t show up. There is absolutely no ****ing point for them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
guess we will see but I have a hard time placing Edmonton's D even in the top 10 league wide.

I disagree with the title of the thread too, I mean if u take McDavid away where does this team place? they even make playoffs?
Take out McDavid and don't replace him with anyone? lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

except their lineup was ALOT stronger overall. you take Barkov or Tkachuk away they likely still make the playoffs. take McDavid away and I dunno its not impossible to make it but I dunno if they make it
See here's the thing. They finished in the top 10 of GA/G despite having a supposedly subpar defense and goaltending.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
They definitely do, very impressive job by the CEO. So are they gonna LTIR Kane until playoffs?

I feel like all the other top contenders are worse than last year so Edmonton has the best team atp. Maybe Skinner and Arvy can support Janmark in scoring in decisive games.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Im more scared of the Predators, Stars, and Avalanche still. Sure the Oilers may walk through the Pacific, but Id still bet on any of those 3 to take them out in the Conference Finals. No way that special teams will repeat.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
See here's the thing. They finished in the top 10 of GA/G despite having a supposedly subpar defense and goaltending.
never talked about goaltending, I thought Skinner was great and I feel Edmonton got hot at the right time and had some puck luck as well. not taking away from the run they went on, they did amazing. but still their D looks underwhelming. doesnt matter how they did last year. can they do it again? are you that confident they can get there again?

Of course it matters. Take out McDavid and replace him with your team best player, the Oilers still make the playoffs
well like I said, you take Barkov or Tkachuk away I think Florida still made it but if u took McDavid away I dunno if they do.
never talked about Florida replacing him. just saying in general.

Oh wow, you’re being serious…

Remove your best player or rather 12 million worth of players off your team and where do they land?

You wouldn’t even get the honour of a 1st round exit.
ill give u the same answer

well like I said, you take Barkov or Tkachuk away I think Florida still made it but if u took McDavid away I dunno if they do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
never talked about goaltending, I thought Skinner was great and I feel Edmonton got hot at the right time and had some puck luck as well. not taking away from the run they went on, they did amazing. but still their D looks underwhelming. doesnt matter how they did last year. can they do it again? are you that confident they can get there again?

Who knows. A month into the season last year the Oilers looked like the biggest joke in the league. They absolutely can make it back, they are the best team in the division and one of the best in the conference. They weren't a Cup favourite going into the playoffs for nothing.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Im more scared of the Predators, Stars, and Avalanche still. Sure the Oilers may walk through the Pacific, but Id still bet on any of those 3 to take them out in the Conference Finals. No way that special teams will repeat.
Preds arent in the same tier as Edmonton or Dallas' forward groups.

That Nashville bottom six gets very bland, very fast. Although, to be fair, there is still a ton of time + a trade deadline to address that.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Who knows. A month into the season last year the Oilers looked like the biggest joke in the league. They absolutely can make it back, they are the best team in the division and one of the best in the conference. They weren't a Cup favourite going into the playoffs for nothing.
all winning teams need to get hot at the right time though. u get hot at the right time even a subpar team can get the job done. I wouldnt sit here and say, YES Edmonton is perfect. the truth is they have weaknesses and are far from the best team in the league.
I think they need alot of luck to get there again. they could easily lose at anytime to any team. they are far from flawless but they are a good team and have a chance. still dont think they have the best lineup in the league though

I see Leafs fans have transitioned from hypothetical series wins to hypothetical sweeps. Anything to keep the fandom going I guess.
well am I wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad