The Oilers are an old team

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'm a flames fan, but I have to note that at this same time last year people were saying the same thing. They started 2-9-1 and looked like one of the worst teams in the league. They ended the year one game away from the Stanley cup. Point being it's a long season.
True but do they have the energy and same motivation as last year to go on long winning streaks? They went far last year and they are weaker this year

How many times can you retool the retool before the retool cant be retooled?
Their retool needs a retool since they did the retooling wrong this time and might need another retool.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Even though the Oilers attempted to get him but Conroy wasn't willing to trade him to a divisional rival, Chris Tanev was the best option the Oilers had last year. He's literally the perfect D partner for Nurse on the 2nd pair. Tanev would be able to make Nurse look like a respectable dman.

But he likely still would have left for Toronto in the summer because no team in the league would be matching the same term that the Leafs gave Tanev this summer. You put Tanev on the Oilers last playoffs and they may have won the cup. Nurse really cost his team in the playoffs. Tanev would have minimized the damage.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Knoblauch is not a long term coach. He's the flavour of the year and he had a lot of luck going his way last year. So essentially he overachieved with that group.

I think teams now have figured out how to play against his system. The exact same thing happened to Jay Woodcraft. He was seen as a blessing in Edmonton when he was hired, only to be fired the year after? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Looks like they need another coach of the same type. This time it will probably be Hitchcock. Need to keep the tradition going...woodcroft, knoblauch then hitchcock 😉

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He's better... your living under a rock. Lebum is the most overrated NBA legend ever man. Get over that shxx bra. Never led any team on his back to any championship. Had to count on fellow stars to aid him. There is nothing Lebum did even close to what McDavid pulled off last year in the playoffs. Nothing. Nada zero.
Lebron won championships unlike McBaby

1000069988.jpg

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Arvidsson has looked ok, but
nothing special. Skinner has looked ok in his own end but comes as advertised defensively. Bouchard is only going to go as far as Ekholm can cover for him. But you can count out a McDavid led team. He’s off to a pretty rough start but you can bet on him turning it around

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You brought the topic up. Deal with it. Show me proof of Lebron carrying his team like MvDavid last year in the playoffs. From dead in the water to one goal from the cup falling a few points short of the great one being down 3-0. Lebrons greatness is his durability and longevity. McDavid smashes Lebums prime.
LeBron won 4 championships, Mcdavid carried his team to one final loss after a decade of playing in the NHL and cried on Amazon prime and didnt accept his award because he was a sore loser. I guess you think McDavid's legacy of not having won one championship trumps the achievements of Lebron James 🤣

In the 2016 finals the Cavs were down 1:3 before LeBron hit another gear and carried them all the way.
Yep, Unlike McBaby who tried to comeback against FLA and fell short.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Provide statistical proof and video evidence and lets see if it surpasses McDavids 24 playoffs. Stop talking shxx and provide evidence. Or just stfu. This is a hockey forum and just bcz McDavid isn't smashing the league playing for your team doesn't mean you can just throw blanket statements. Is Lebron one of the greatest NBA players ever. Sure, but if you come swinging and claim McDavids 24 playoffs was surpassed by Lebron, than prove that statistically. The floor is yours. If the Oilers didn't fall a goal or 2 short, it would have been greatest accomplishment in team sports history. Bar none. He was that close.
McDavids 2024 run is good but its not even consistent. He barely got any points in the Vancouver series against Silovs and was physically abused by Zadorov. If it wasnt for Bouchard goals and Cole messing up, Boeser being out in game 7, Canucks would have won the series.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not exactly ready to dance on the grave of the Oilers just yet lol but god damn it would be fun! I did think a lot of the "experts" were going over board with them being almost to a man picked to win the cup this year. I still can't get over the Nurse-Dermott 2nd pair lmao
Yep, funny how everyone picked them.to win a cup. You dont need to be a hockey guru to know that 2nd pairing of Nurse and Demott is not good. That would be their downfall and Skinner is also part of the problem. Going from Broberg, Ceci and Deharnais to Dermott, Estorm and Stecher is a huge downgrade both in skill and size.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The back pressure that Fogelle, McLeod, and Holloway provided is going to make problems for the Oilers’ D off the rush. Add in D zone starts and PK and that has its effects. Are McDavid and Drysatl going to get more D zone starts to make up for that? Not too sure what the club was thinking with their moves over the summer.
They went for flashy name players instead of actually building a contender. That butter soft jeff skinner will get his goals in regular season but will probably become a ghost in playoffs

Losing Broberg is going to hurt both short and long term for the Oilers. He's fit in really well on the Blues top 4D. The Oilers now have two #7/#8 dmen in as full-time guys on the blue line. Dermott and Stetcher would be spending their time in the press box on any other NHL team.

If any of their top 4 D get injured, it's only going to get worse. Could you imagine Kulak on the top pair? Yikes. There's no way this team wins the cup this year with the current roster.
I kind of wished Canucks would have offersheeted Broberg. But I guess we lacked cap space. He would have been perfect for us, great at passing and moving the puck and great in transition. Plus he is still young and will develop more.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They get a bye against the Kings every year because of that garbage division.

Kings lol, Flames lol, smoked by the Avs
Kings lol, smoked by the Knights
Kings lol, Canucks lol, Stars (legit win. Nice work PK)
They barely got by the injury riddled Canucks that didnt have their number 1 goalie and Boeser was out in game 7. It took them 7 games to beat Silovs, the backup backup goalie

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Katz just keeps hiring GMs because they've won a Cup. Never considering if there might be other reasons that the teams had success. Never taking into account what these guys might have in terms of defects and shortcomings and baggage. Chiarelli, Holland, Bowman...failures and possibly worse.

Rotten from the head down and it's terribly damaging for the league to have its best player flub and flounder and screech and curse his way through a career because of it.
I dont get why Oilers always hire retreads? Washed up, overrated or over the hill GMs that had their glory days long ago wishing to replicate the same success in Edmonton.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
meh, still too early to evaluate....last season they started 1-5-1 and gave up a whopping 30 goals...that's over 4 goals per game
and that's with all that speed and "defensive contributions" from McLeod, Foegele, Desharnais, Ceci (Broberg and Holloway were in the AHL)
Last year Canucks whopped their butt back to back and they were divisional champs. This year its worst as they got shutout by Jets who many say are a bubble team and 2 non playoff teams in Flames and Hawks, one being a bottom 3 team.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Last year Canucks whopped their butt back to back and they were divisional champs. This year its worst as they got shutout by Jets who many say are a bubble team and 2 non playoff teams in Flames and Hawks, one being a bottom 3 team.
and the Canucks lost to 2 non-playoff teams already as well...what's your point?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Dermott and Stetcher wouldn't even crack the lineup on just about all NHL teams. They're press box guys who only play when injuries occur. Stecher is okay as a #6 on a weaker blue line because he has the experience but it will be interesting to see how Dermott plays throughout the season on the 2nd pair. He has never played a full season in his career. Now he's expected to play 2nd pairing minutes on the cup favourite selected by all the media. That's pretty high expectations.

One injury to that top 4 and all of a sudden you got Kulak playing top pair minutes and Stetcher or Emberson playing 2nd pairing. Two pylons on the bottom pair.

They better hope they find a way to get a 2nd pairing RHD by the All Star game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Last year Canucks whopped their butt back to back and they were divisional champs.
and then what happened?

Finish the story...

Nucks were eliminated by ????? in round ?????

Oilers were eliminated by ???? in round ?????

I would take winning 3 rounds over the Pacific title 100 times out of 10. I'd take eliminating a team in the playoffs over a regular season sweep 1000 times over.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
and the Canucks lost to 2 non-playoff teams already as well...what's your point?
Canucks got points out of those 2 games. 1st game they stopped playing but managed to get a point out of it. 2nd game, it was a coin flip shootout loss and we are still playing without our #1 goalie and Dakota Joshua. Whats Oilers excuse of not even getting a point out of all those 3 games with a healthy roster and getting completely blown out by the Jets?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
and then what happened?

Finish the story...

I would take winning 3 rounds over the Pacific title 100 times out of 10. I'd take eliminating a team in the playoffs over a regular season sweep 1000 times over.
At the end of it all, both teams won a banner that’s meaningless to the top players

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I woukd agree that is the biggest of several.
He got the big contract and coasted ever since. League will eventually pass him by.

Nurse can't read plays quick enough and by the time he acts the puck is already in the net. He needs a high IQ mobile D partner who can hide Nurse's flaws and make up for his questionable decisions on the ice. Someone like Erik Karlsson, though Karlsson isn't great defensively but he's still miles better than Nurse. And Karlsson moves the puck up the ice so well that it would cover up for most of Nurses weaknesses.

Reactions: PaulD and Fatass

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
and then what happened?

Finish the story...

What happened was Oilers getting lucky off of Canucks misfortunes and facing an AHL goalie who probably had played a couple of NHL preseason games before starting in playoffs. They got even luckier having Skinner's kryptonite in Boeser out in game 7. Guess there is lots of luck involved in winning playoff games, cant deny that 😉. The Oilers basically got lucky to draw the lousy Kings which they had experience beating in playoffs and the Demko-less Canucks. Thats how Oilers advanced to the finals. I doubt they will be this lucky this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad