The Oilers are an old team

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The age thing is overstated. Anyone just averaging the age of all the players is missing the point. What matters more is the age relative to your most impactful players. The best Oilers are more middle aged on average in hockey terms. Ekholm is probably the only core player at risk for age related decline soon.

Though I will say I saw a crazy stat the other day. In their current lineup their most recently drafted forward playing for them is McDavid lol. So they haven't drafted a forward in their current lineup for about a decade.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Two games in and the team who nearly pulled off the greatest comeback in probably sports history is all of the sudden dead in the water? Two games. Two. Winnipeg is a good team by the way. They shouldn't have manhandled the Oilers 6-0 but these things happen. The Hawks shouldn't be beating the Oilers, but Bedard had a great game and again, these things happen. I'd be floored if the Hawks are in the playoffs and everyone knows the Oilers will be there.

Utah is 3-0. Columbus beat Colorado in Colorado. Jonathan Huberdeau has 5 points in 2 games and who knows if he is a 100 point guy again or a 50 point guy. Oh and the Habs look good so far.

Bottom line is nothing is normal in the first week of the season. I'll actually be surprised if the Oilers are not in the Cup final this year to be honest. There have been three players who have led the NHL in points over the last decade and two of them play on the Oilers. They'll be fine.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Attachments

• 1728835997844.png
    1728835997844.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I do agree with the general sentiment though. We lost 4 very good skaters who weren't that expensive in McLeod, Hollo, Bro and Foeg. We really don't have many promising guys in the pipe at all. Our core is absolutely fine and this will turn around.

BUT

We got older
We got slower
We didn't improve upon Ceci and still have 2RD issues
While Skinner is proven, Pickard is not and Rodrigue had a bad preseason

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the Oilers went a bit overboard with signing veteran players. This reminds me of what the Pens did post their last two Cup wins. Win now is cool and all but you kinda need to keep some more fresh legs around. The main core is still in its absolutely prime but around them the team has gotten quite old.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They purposefully got older and slower in the offseason. added some big names from yesteryear. Lots of us thought it was a dubious strategy.

Put a lot of eggs in the Emberson basket. Dubious. Situation in goal is dubious.

Reactions: Czechboy

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
They do look older and slower that's for sure. Hopefully they make a trade for a younger top 4 defenseman, preferably before the deadline. I don't like the idea of us making the playoffs but having not much home ice advantage.

Reactions: Czechboy

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Draisitil is going to be pissed when McDavid doesn't re-sign cuz unless McDavid wants to ensure he has no chance of winning a cup for the next 8 years he ain't re-signing

• Haha
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
They lost too many players and replaced them with Skinner, Arvidson, and Podkolzin none of these additions are quality depth.

The defense is literally 1 pair

Goaltending is suspect

there not going to go deep this year and I do not see how they are the favorites to win the cup, I hope Mcdavid walks and goes some where else cant stand Oilers fans or there team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad