The Oilers are an old team

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
How many more years before McDrai get McYellered out back? 2-3?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its actually cup or bust this season. Once Draisaitl and McDavid get their massive cap bumps or bail then its game over.

Holland wasted way too many years with incremental additions instead of going all out at each opportunity.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.
Yeah I'm sure things like having a contending team, playing with the best player in the world, having the best facilities in the entire league, having an owner that spares zero expense on things like meals, travel and off ice items mean absolutely nothing to players. They mostly just care about weather

How many more years before McDrai get McYellered out back? 2-3?
Yeah I'd have to think he's out of the league by 29 based on his recent playoffs

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Its actually cup or bust this season. Once Draisaitl and McDavid get their massive cap bumps or bail then its game over.

Holland wasted way too many years with incremental additions instead of going all out at each opportunity.
Yep, this is their one chance. Because next year Draisatl is gone or gets a raise to 15 mill. And Bouchard gets a raise to 12 mill.

It literally is cup or bust this year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Not really a revelation. I think people are used to thinking of them as a young team so just assume they still are.

If they keep McDrai together, they’ll still have a good 4-5 years of both in their prime to get a Cup. That’s still a decent window.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Average age is relatively meaningless. The most important players are in their prime. Although in the next few years I expect McDavid to lose half a step, and I'm curious to see how his game adapts. This current window feels crucial and the coaching staff won't be able to trot him out 25 minutes per night forever.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not really a revelation. I think people are used to thinking of them as a young team so just assume they still are.

If they keep McDrai together, they’ll still have a good 4-5 years of both in their prime to get a Cup. That’s still a decent window.
4-5 years seems a little short for a generational player and franchise player. They will both probably still be really good until their mid to late 30s. It really comes down to how well they integrate young guys into the line up which they're trying to do with Stu Skinner, Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway, Savoie, O'Reilly.

Crosby is about to turn 37 and is still elite.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Core players are pretty young but lots of secondary support guys are getting up there for sure that’s why they have to win now.

Reactions: Devonator

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Thanks, that is exactly what I meant.
The same reason, why I think Tampa Bay is not a contender anymore. They are too old, too slow.
We were older last year. Were definitely younger at forward. You can say the swap of mcd and serg is a big swap in age but mcd is a big upgrade to serg so that's not a bad thing. Moser is a younger guy too and replaces the young guy serg and mcd is really replacing the age of dehaan so it's similar in age but it's better than last year. Guentzel > stamkos at this point in their careers and Guentzel is younger. I think we still need a piece or two. I'd say if we don't contend this year it's not because we're too old we don't have enough depth.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Oilers have one more go at it with essentially the current group. If they don't succeed and are still able to re-sign Draisaitl and McDavid, they'll need to retool for a couple seasons, which could be a bit difficult with both on updated UFA deals and a lack of draft capital from the last however many years of competing.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
We heard the same thing from Gaudreau. It's just a matter of time.

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.
Not just that but Germans are usually relatively well traveled, cultured people. Not sure you necessarily want to spend your entire career cultivating a legacy in a place like Edmonton which is somewhat remote and off the beaten path, where you’re unlikely to retire once your playing days are over.

That said, if Edmonton is mowing through the regular season and they offer him 14+, he may feel like he has a good enough thing going with McDavid (and Bouchard) and decides he wants to stick around.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We heard the same thing from Gaudreau. It's just a matter of time.

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.
Yeh but Gaudreau and the Flames were dominated and embarrassed by the Oilers making him want to leave. Drai’s situation is entirely different, like the exact opposite of Gaurdreau.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Yeah I'm sure things like having a contending team, playing with the best player in the world, having the best facilities in the entire league, having an owner that spares zero expense on things like meals, travel and off ice items mean absolutely nothing to players. They mostly just care about weather

Yeah I'd have to think he's out of the league by 29 based on his recent playoffs
Well, in the NHL often times when you choose a nice climate you also get zero or at least less taxes. In addition to that, the southern teams have been winning a whole lot more than the Canadian teams, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this 😂 Meals? The Oilers are getting better snacks than the guys on Panthers and Lightning?

Reactions: HugginThePost

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Not sure where some of the numbers are coming from above, the 1967 Leafs had 7 players aged 36 or over. The Oilers had 2 these playoffs, Perry and Ryan.

When I ran the numbers for the opening game of the Cup finals rosters, both Florida and the Oilers averaged almost the same age at around 29. The Pens were the oldest team this year.

It's always a concern though if your team has the roster to last two months of playoff games. Maybe it caught up to Dallas this year who were older than the Oilers.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
  1. 2001-02 Detroit Red Wings (51-17-10-4, 116 pts.) -
    Average Age: 30 years, 5 months, 1 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (37), Nicklas Lidstrom (31)
  2. 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings (54-21-7, 115 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 9 months, 23 days
    Notable Player(s): Nicklas Lidstrom (37), Pavel Datsyuk (29)
  3. 1997-98 Detroit Red Wings (44-23-15, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 6 months, 10 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (32), Nicklas Lidstrom (27)
  4. 2002-03 New Jersey Devils (46-20-10-6, 108 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 0 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Martin Broduer (30), Patrik Elias (26)
  5. 1966-67 Toronto Maple Leafs (32-27-11, 75 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 11 months, 26 days
    Notable Player(s): Terry Sawchuk (37), Frank Mahovlich (28)
  6. 1998-99 Dallas Stars (51-19-12, 114 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 29 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (34), Mike Modano (28)
  7. 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs (33-25-12, 78 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 2 days
    Notable Player(s): Frank Mahovlich (25)
  8. 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes (52-22-8, 112 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 5 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Rod Brind'Amour (35), Eric Staal (21)
  9. 1996-97 Detroit Red Wings (38-26-18, 94 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 4 months, 20 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (31), Nicklas Lidstrom (26)
  10. 1968-69 Montreal Canadians (46-19-11, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 3 months, 13 days
    Notable Player(s): Jean Beliveau (37)
So none in the salary cap era.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Their age will go up in a year as well, when Draisatl leaves to go to a contender.
Your entire fanbase has nothing better to do than organize on cpuck and masturbate to your Oilers hate. I feel like this type of stuff from people like you is blackmail material because your family would probably leave if they found out your level of dedication to trolling on the internet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad