Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Now that the dust has settled, at least a little bit, what are the projections for 91 in Smashville? I'll say he goes 25-25 and 50 points. Preds are notoriously D oriented and who, besides Josi, is going to feed him at the left dot on the PP.

Thoughts?
30g 30a I'd imagine is a safe bet. 35g 40a if he meshes and clicks on the PP.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Now that the dust has settled, at least a little bit, what are the projections for 91 in Smashville? I'll say he goes 25-25 and 50 points. Preds are notoriously D oriented and who, besides Josi, is going to feed him at the left dot on the PP.

Thoughts?
He'll get his points but where will his 200 ft game be? That's the question JBB was asking himself and we got his answer. Personally, I think he did the right thing given the number Stammer wanted and what the needs of the team are. But, as I have said repeatedly, absolutely none of it matters if Vasy doesn't have a massively strong comeback year. Masterton worthy is level I'm talking about.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He'll get his points but where will his 200 ft game be? That's the question JBB was asking himself and we got his answer. Personally, I think he did the right thing given the number Stammer wanted and what the needs of the team are. But, as I have said repeatedly, absolutely none of it matters if Vasy doesn't have a massively strong comeback year. Masterton worthy is level I'm talking about.
I don't think he'll put up points like he did here. Kucherov is special.

Reactions: Outl4w

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
He will be second line center there, but yeah, it all depends on the PP. He might have a decent season, but I don't see him keep up the pace for so much more than the first two seasons.

Reactions: DFC

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nashville fans make it sound like Josi will do more for Stamkos than Hedman and Kucherov. I guess we'll see.

He's better than Hedman right now that's for sure but there's no one close to Kucherov on that team and I still don't see how they can accommodate Stamkos without hurting Forsberg's production.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
He's better than Hedman right now that's for sure but there's no one close to Kucherov on that team and I still don't see how they can accommodate Stamkos without hurting Forsberg's production.
Forsberg does the bulk of his work at even strength so it's not like you're pulling a +20 PPG scorer off for someone incapable. Because he's not as good elsewhere in an umbrella set up, you'd likely remove Forsberg for Stamkos or one goes to the bumper.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He will be second line center there, but yeah, it all depends on the PP. He might have a decent season, but I don't see him keep up the pace for so much more than the first two seasons.
our small window is 2 seasons...MCD will be 37/38 in 2 years

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Forsberg does the bulk of his work at even strength so it's not like you're pulling a +20 PPG scorer off for someone incapable. Because he's not as good elsewhere in an umbrella set up, you'd likely remove Forsberg for Stamkos or one goes to the bumper.
Yeah. Phillip is a force, but of 48 goals, a grand total of 6 were on the PP. Smashville fans can be more insufferable than Leafers.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They said Forsberg plays the other wing on the PP. I definitely don't watch Nashville enough to know.

I mean, if Stamkos gets that spot over someone else, it's either a wash or hurting you (puck handling/decisions). If he's there over basically a warm body, you can reasonably expect 10 or 15 more goals than your team had last year on the PP.

I don't think they know what they're getting 5v5 though. It's not like he's terrible, but if they are expecting a 2C...

And, i say this all the time but it's true. Any hope of other players getting the best out of Stamkos is a long shot. He has only had legit, long term chemistry (more than 5 or 10 games) with two players -- Kucherov and MSL. Those are the two best forwards in franchise history and it's not a coincidence.

Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends who it runs through, and, if it's Forsberg, if he can be equally as effective from the other side.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah. Phillip is a force, but of 48 goals, a grand total of 6 were on the PP. Smashville fans can be more insufferable than Leafers.

By 6 you mean 13 right. A whole 6 less than Stamkos without the best PP player in the league feeding him.

Reactions: The Macho King

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
By 6 you mean 13 right. A whole 6 less than Stamkos without the best PP player in the league feeding him.

Nashville has a powerplay where their wingers are on their forehand looping from high up. Forsberg scored most of his powerplay goals on the right side of the ice.

Which means in the end, Stamkos will probably be at his usual spot and won't hurt or fail to accommodate Forsbergs production. It'll probably be fine since Forsberg has pretty good vision and does his damage at ES mainly and on the PP, not solely on the left. He's not Kucherov, sure, but him and Josi are still capable of generating chances.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
I stand corrected. I was looking at another site and they had him listed as 6 PPG (or I just F'in read it wrong). . It was indeed 13. Thanks.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Agreed about Vasy. Nothing we do really matters if he doesn't return to form. Luckily, he looked very good later in the season and even playoffs.

Improving the Defense infront of him helps and was needed but Stamkos or no Stamkos, top 6 or no top 6, if Vasy isn't Vasy we aren't a contender

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Agreed about Vasy. Nothing we do really matters if he doesn't return to form. Luckily, he looked very good later in the season and even playoffs.

Improving the Defense infront of him helps and was needed but Stamkos or no Stamkos, top 6 or no top 6, if Vasy isn't Vasy we aren't a contender
He looked ok, but still nowhere near his peak. Hopefully an eye exam was somewhere on his summer schedule. Unobstructed muffins from the point can't be floating past his ears this season.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
He looked ok, but still nowhere near his peak. Hopefully an eye exam was somewhere on his summer schedule. Unobstructed muffins from the point can't be floating past his ears this season.

Yea, he had a solid March, but he was pretty consistently a 0.900 goalie from start to finish last year. I think having a better defensive team in front of him will help a lot because he still looked like one of our best players late in the season, but he does need to improve from the last couple seasons if we're going to get back to SC form.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Yea, he had a solid March, but he was pretty consistently a 0.900 goalie from start to finish last year. I think having a better defensive team in front of him will help a lot because he still looked like one of our best players late in the season, but he does need to improve from the last couple seasons if we're going to get back to SC form.
Will we be better defensively is the question? Yes, I believe McD will be more reliable than Sergy ever was, but he is 35 with a ton of mileage on top of that. Heddy is 33 and young enough that his defensive game should still be solid. Hopefully two summers of long rest will have him ready to play better in the D zone than he has in recent years. Cernak, yeah, I guess. Moser, we'll see. Perbix had a bit of a sophomore slump and can be better and Raddysh is what he is. Up front, though he is a wing, Guentzel should be light years better than Stammer, which is who he is replacing in the line-up for all intents. The rest of 'em all have to be better 200 ft, especially Point, who was shit most of the year.

Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It seriously looked like he couldn't see the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad