Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It's bittersweet for sure. I think the debacle with the Tampa vs. Toronto last time around and now this made him leave.

Assuming he had a shot at the same deal as Nashville, I'm not sure 7 years of Guentzel at a higher AAV is an improvement.

Thanks for your time Stammer! It's been a joy following you since the year leading up to the draft.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Gun to your head does Stamkos retire a Bolt or not?
Under JBB, unlikely.

I could see him coming back for one year at the end of his career. At the very least, he'll do the one day thing and retire with us. Like Vinny and MSL, it takes some time in this kind of situation to sort through the emotions but in the end, it's the fans that adored him even if 1-2 or a few didn't value him as part of the team going forward. If Dan Boyle can show up after years and be around an entirely different management group, I don't see why Stamkos wouldn't.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
As far as actually coming back and playing? Super doubt unless JBB is fired and the team is full on rebuilding and he's done cup chasing as a purely marketing move.

Reactions: Stammertime91

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Socials team missed a perfect opportunity to rehash this.
IMG_0300.jpeg

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
16 years of Stammer and so many good times. Hard to see him go. Hope it works out for him and his family. Tennessee is a lot different than Florida. Thanks Steven!

Reactions: Mehar

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Gun to your head does Stamkos retire a Bolt or not?
Of course he does. And goes into the HOF a Bolt. This move changes nothing long term. If anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to Stammer. His legend here is fully cemented now and can no longer be tarnished by a painful decline and having these same fans who are now weeping and expressing outrage potentially booing him for poor performance (see: the last years of Mickey Mantle), which, oh by the way, there was a ton of early last season.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Of course he does. And goes into the HOF a Bolt. This move changes nothing long term. If anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to Stammer. His legend here is fully cemented now and can no longer be tarnished by a painful decline and having these same fans who are now weeping and expressing outrage potentially booing him for poor performance (see: the last years of Mickey Mantle), which, oh by the way, there was a ton of early last season.
By that logic, you're in for a hell of a time when Hedman plays out this contract. Because a player declines and fans want more or expect more doesn't mean they want him jettisoned off the team. Let's see how this ages with Hedman.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
By that logic, you're in for a hell of a time when Hedman plays out this contract. Because a player declines and fans want more or expect more doesn't mean they want him jettisoned off the team. Let's see how this ages with Hedman.
That would depend on where the team is at. If the team is still winning and by some miracle has a chance when Hedman is at or near the end of his deal but he is by then a liability on the ice that is diminishing or jeopardizing the team's chances then I'm guessing no one would have a problem jettisoning him, but if they are already in a rebuild, the more likely scenario, then yeah, they would have problem with it. None of that changes my opinion on Stammer. His statue is already being cast because there can never be a decline. He is leaving close to the top as far as his Lightning days are concerned and getting a chance to write perhaps a nice little addendum for himself in Nashville. But even if he doesn't, it won't matter, his legend is set and he'll get over his bitterness, just like the fans will.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Reactions: Meuracas

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Thank you to Stammer for all of his years representing this team we love with such class, grace, and skill. We were spoiled by having the best captain in the league, and that is why it feels there is such a gaping hole now.

I watched you get drafted, your first goal as a member of the Lightning, and unfortunately your last shift as a member of this team.

Lecavalier was my favorite player growing up, and Stamkos has been my son's.

From this hockey mom, I will forever be grateful that my son got your autograph on his jersey. That he will have that memory forever, that excitement of meeting his hero. He wanted to learn to play hockey as a 5 year old watching Stamkos on TV, and he now begs me to take him to practice and has passed the steps to join the U6/U8 league this fall a year later. He'll continue to wear his favorite player's jersey with pride as I still wear my Lecavalier jersey to home games.

Hopefully, he will be back with the Lightning in 4 years time (although that seems like a long time I know it will pass in the blink of an eye), and retire in the only jersey he ever should have worn, and then join the team in an official capacity in the front office as an ambassador to this team that never would have reached the heights it did without him.

So thank you Stamkos!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Love and miss you Stamkos. Tell Nashville we will trade them sheary, Atkinson, and let them have Briesbois's cup rings for your return.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've had to take several days to process this and I'll get it off my chest too.

Captain, I doubt you will ever read this but maybe someone you know might. And they'll pass it on to you. The word "franchise savior" gets thrown around a lot and recklessly. I suppose I would reserve that title for Mr. Vinik because of the state of the team at the time. But it was a team you were on. And you saw how disorganized everything was when you first arrived. But you carried yourself like a savior anyway. Or at least played like one. And you showed up to work everyday with a smile on your face even when coach Melrose treated you unfairly. And I'll never forget the night of your first hat trick when you ripped home the first three of your patented onetimers. The legend was born that night I'd say.

The years that followed had so many highs that you built. And they were brought low by so many different elements. Whether it was losing the Cup or dropping 3-2 series leads to Washington and Pittsburgh. It's funny. Fans think hurt they for those losses as much as any player. But I suppose some do. Just a few at least. And I think one of the only people in the world who could have suffered more than those fans was you. Whether it was the knee injury, the blood clot, a difficult 2020. Those were just a few times I thought your career might have been done. Nevermind the suspense we all had before your extension that was one of the happiest days in Tampa history. If what I heard was true, you even lost a child while in the bubble.

For anything we felt, you were there with us. And no matter what happened to you, you fought back until we finally secured our place in history as back to back Stanley Cup champions. I was there the night of July 7th 2021. If I remember correctly it was up in section 327. It is the most treasured moment I have as a sports fan because in a way we shared that night together having been in the building. I got to see you climb the mountain. In person. All the hardship was made worth it for even a moment.

More than statistics. More than a slap shot as renowned as the likes of Hull, Kurri and Shanahan. More than that flowing blonde hair and that trademark Canadian "Aw shucks" humility. Your grace and resiliency are what I will remember you for. There is no athlete I have seen who has ever shown what it means to be human more than you. A man is unbreakable. He is determined. He gets back up when it feels like even God has forsaken him. When the garden of his labors is burned down to nothing. And he wills himself and those he loves until the rains come to water that garden. And that soil enriched by the burn yields a harvest greater than a man ever intended. You saw yourself, your family and your team through all the thunder and Lightning. What's left is sunshine and memories I will treasure until I die.

That is your legacy to me. Therein lies what makes Steven Stamkos my Lightning captain. Thank you for everything

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I've wondered for a long time what the butterfly effect fallout would be if Stamkos never breaks his leg in Boston in 2013-14. Do we have more Cups, or at least get one sooner than 2020? Does Stamkos remain a 50-60 goal scorer? How does that affect every offseason, draft, and deadline following?

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This day is tough and I sympathize with Stamkos. I understand the direction JBB was going in from a hockey perspective but to me he’s still being way too diplomatic about this.

He didn’t like the hockey fit, it didn’t come down to money. He was unwilling to give Stamkos a spot unless it came at 40 cents on the dollar. He knew this for a year and still strung everyone along. Just own up to that and don’t make it seem like Stamkos was asking for too much. The open market clearly defined his value.
Took the words out of my mouth. There was no need to string everyone along. Stamkos deserved much better. It will be weird seeing Stamkos in a different jersey, but I wish Tampa front office showed him much more respect than they did in the process for everything Stamkos has done for that organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad