Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

This is f***ing sad. So avoidable. We didn't even have to resign him. We could've handled this so differently much earlier. I even mentioned trading him at the TDL and burying this in the season to at least get something in return and leave the door open for a potential reunion. This was poor management by JBB any which way you look at it.

OOOOO HES PISSED

f***. Make it stop.

Reactions: J T Money

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
While fair, I disagree on that final part and said it yesterday. Cirelli has value. We shit on Sergachev and polarized his flaws yet Utah gave us a good return. Cirelli would easily return a 1 for 1 "hockey trade," or something centered on futures. Not that's what we should do right now, but he definitely has value.
Ok, but you ripped him pretty good a few posts ago and I don't think you are wrong. Don't you think others see that?

Anyway, I don't want to come across as being on the wrong side of this. I love Stammer and I wish that a way could have been found but IMO this was as much on him as on the org. He knows the cap exists and he knows how hard it is to fill a championship roster but he has his pride and wanted to get paid and I have no problem with that. He has much to be proud of and not just as a hockey player.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
This is f***ing sad. So avoidable. We didn't even have to resign him. We could've handled this so differently much earlier. I even mentioned trading him at the TDL and burying this in the season to at least get something in return and leave the door open for a potential reunion. This was poor management by JBB any which way you look at it.

f***. Make it stop.
Looks like you were right, my bad. Well f***.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Ok, but you ripped him pretty good a few posts ago and I don't think you are wrong. Don't you think others see that?

Anyway, I don't want to come across as being on the wrong side of this. I love Stammer and I wish that a way could have been found but IMO this was as much on him as on the org. He knows the cap exists and he knows how hard it is to fill a championship roster but he has his pride and wanted to get paid and I have no problem with that. He has much to be proud of and not just as a hockey player.
I rip on him because I watch him. Im not implying you don't either. I'm just saying, he's got flaws like every player and the makeup of this team didn't need a meddling 40pt center making 6.25M. It's now on him to prove it. Prove he can take that next step like Sergachev had the chance. Just because he has flaws doesn't mean another team wouldn't take him though. I definitely think he'd fetch a 1 for 1 trade for a RD. Not needed at the moment in my opinion, but he has value is all I'm saying.
Looks like you were right, my bad. Well f***.
Yeah....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If there's such a metric, there's no way they're looking at Cirelli and saying he passes but the second greatest goal scorer of his generation doesn't. Come on now. Say what you want about ES vs PP numbers, but he still makes plays Cirelli does not. And Cirelli makes twice as much as he was offered. Cirelli is the forward where plays go to die, and this is coming from someone that shits on Stamkos tripping at the blue line and dipsy doodling passes blindly on the half wall. No player is perfect but if we're really magnifying player chances on some sort of metric, no way I'm taking Cirelli over Stamkos with the puck. Cirelli's number one move is to Luis Mendoza himself into the goalie and hope the puck follows.
Their 5v5 points were dead even at the trade deadline. Stamkos took off after that for sure, but we keep hearing about internal metrics. I don't think we should rule out that there's something there with Stamkos that we just don't know. How else does it even make sense?

I mean, jokes about infidelity aside, there must be a reason we just didn't want to bring Stamkos back at a crazy discount. And, like I said, this is at least the 3rd time we seemed more than willing to let Stamkos go. We've never heard anything like that with Hedman. Not even Kucherov or Point.

There's something here the team doesn't like, even at a big time reduced contract. I'm not saying they're right, by any means. But I don't think they just shrug and walk away without, by all accounts, any real effort to keep him, unless there's something about his game they just don't like.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
JBB
Their 5v5 points were dead even at the trade deadline. Stamkos took off after that for sure, but we keep hearing about internal metrics.

I mean, jokes about infidelity aside, there must be a reason we just didn't want to bring Stamkos back at a crazy discount. And, like I said, this is at least the 3rd time we seemed more than willing to let Stamkos go. We've never heard anything like that with Hedman. Not even Kucherov or Point.

There's something here the team doesn't like, even at a big time reduced contract. I'm not saying they're right, by any means. But I don't think they just shrug and walk away without, by all accounts, any real effort to keep him, unless there's something about his game they just don't like.
This is interesting and if true stupid… internal advanced stats or? At least JBB isnt afraid to make moves but my God, maybe we weren’t ready for this intensity from him.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Are you aware of the numbers?

3M X 8 was floated.
Steven wanted 4-5M X 8.

Really?
Not sure what you're saying here? You mean that they didn't want to pay for the extra year? Yeah, if that's true then it's not a good look but 1) we don't know if it is true and 2) if that was the number then maybe we don't get Guentzel for 1M more and if winning now is the thing, I'd rather have Guentzel. Stammer IS a genuine defensive liability which was our major Achillies heel as a team last season. As for the last 3 or 4 years of Guentzel's contract I'm not sure it will matter. This team is going to be bad. That is the reality. Can't kick the can down the road forever.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Are you aware of the numbers?

3M X 8 was floated.
Steven wanted 4-5M X 8.

Really?
I do think there's a chance those numbers, especially from Stamkos's side, aren't quite true. I also lean toward them being "probably" true, given the insiders that used them as an example.

I mean, I get that the "x8" is problematic. But still. It's just...

The team (JBB) just legit decided they didn't want the guy. I have no idea how to explain that unless they're basing it on some number/metric we don't know about and/or understand.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Not sure what you're saying here? You mean that they didn't want to pay for the extra year? Yeah, if that's true then it's not a good look but 1) we don't know if it is true and 2) if that was the number then maybe we don't get Guentzel for 1M more and if winning now is the thing, I'd rather have Guentzel. Stammer IS a genuine defensive liability which was our major Achillies heel as a team last season. As for the last 3 or 4 years of Guentzel's contract, this team is going to be bad. That is the reality. Can't kick the can down the road forever.
The report was 3M for 8 years from Tampa.
Stamkos, according to what was floated, was looking at 4-5M for 8 years.

We get Guentzel no matter what. That move was not impeding or in jeopardy by resigning Stamkos or not.

He's an Achilles as much as a lot of our guys defensively but we also just lost our 2nd best face-off guy. Point was shit half the year on coverage down low. You could mitigate him to middle six as he ages. It's just bizarre that didn't budge 1-2M. And sure, we could've traded him in three years? I don't get why it came to this and how it came down to this.

Like, listen to Stamkos telling his side in the most professional way possible. It's ass.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad