Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Taking emotion out of it he was the captain of a team that underperformed for two seasons. Honestly as good as a coach as Coop is he also needs to figure something out or they are going to be looking for a new voice.
I don't think they underperformed much compared to what they were on paper. After the top handful of guys, the team was pretty bad. Then when Vasy was bad, they looked terrible. In the end, they showed about what they were -- a team that could go 5 games with the eventual cup champs. 5 tough games, sure, but still just 5.

That's pretty much the measuring stick, as best you're gonna find it. I think it's pretty accurate, really.

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
I don't think they underperformed much compared to what they were on paper. After the top handful of guys, the team was pretty bad. Then when Vasy was bad, they looked terrible. In the end, they showed about what they were -- a team that could go 5 games with the eventual cup champs. 5 tough games, sure, but still just 5.

That's pretty much the measuring stick, as best you're gonna find it. I think it's pretty accurate, really.
Then you can’t run it back.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
No, you don't understand or your talking out of both sides of your mouth. So please, tell us all how this comes out with a happy ending if Stammer is not on the Lightning? Stammer is hurt and it is 100% understandable, but not you and not another person here has a clue as to what went on on the inside. I don't either, but I have watched how this organization operated under this man and I do not believe for one minute that Vinik would allow JBB to have just said, "f*** you Stammer, see you later" which seems to be the general understanding as to how it all came down from most of the know-it-alls here.
To quote your profile, I would prefer not to. :)

However if I must, first of all no one said anything about a happy ending or telling Stammer to f*** off, I can understand him leaving and no matter how it happened it would still be sad.

As I see it, this is different as 1) seems like JBB did not prioritise even opening the contract negotiations of the team captain until playoffs/end of playoffs, 2) JBB indicated it was top priority to sign Stamkos after playoffs but we now know there were several other priorities over Stamkos, 3) JBB made Stamkos a limited offer due to limited cap space - then proceeds to trade for cap space but refuses to change the offer while signing a replacement player.

Pretty sure if your employer did the same to you after working at a company for 16 years even after you indicate you'd be willing to stay and to take a pay cut, you'd be disappointed too.

Now they of course run the business as they see best but there's a human side to it too - and as mentioned, sometimes even the best of us make mistakes. At the end of the day, perhaps all the moves JBB made nets Tampa another cup or two and that would be awesome. However, looking from the outside in this still could have been handled better in my opinion.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The arguments being made here are genuinely laughable. Is there a salary cap at the factory? And please identify those "employees" on this roster that are half-assing it daily that are being paid what Stamkos would have almost certainly turned down as an insulting low ball, but more than that, where are you going to send those half-assing employees who are under contract in order to find the money to pay Stamkos? Other teams don't want half-assers on their team either.

Oh wait, if JBB, or any GM, was just smarter, but also genuinely kind and understanding, they could have everything they want at every position and do it within the cap.
Not a salary cap, but a budget. His analogy is pretty fair and reasonable.

Cirelli is one for starters. All the knocks Stamkos gets of being a PP merchant, losing his legs, turning into a geriatric paraplegic, 340 years old, etc. How about we look at our 2C incapable of outscoring Mr. Bean? Nick Paul on a 3 X 8 is what Stamkos would've been on. Stamkos was better on the draw than Cirelli. Cirelli being outscored and mitigated to penalty killing is kind of like... what do you do here for 6.25M? Oh, that's right, he had one elite defensive season years in the past and finally hit 20 goals. So, for starters there's his vanilla self that isn't up to par for large portions of the season. Let's not forget his elite defending was so impactful that we've gotten bounced in back to back 1st rounds.

So, there's Stamkos being offered Nick Paul money yet doing more than Cirelli. Probably the same drum myself and others have been beating for years on here. Cirelli is overrated as f*** and now just like Sergachev had the "prove us wrong" moment - and he didn't - Cirelli has that all to himself.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To quote your profile, I would prefer not to. :)

However if I must, first of all no one said anything about a happy ending or telling Stammer to f*** off, I can understand him leaving and no matter how it happened it would still be sad.

As I see it, this is different as 1) seems like JBB did not prioritise even opening the contract negotiations of the team captain until playoffs/end of playoffs, 2) JBB indicated it was top priority to sign Stamkos after playoffs but we now know there were several other priorities over Stamkos, 3) JBB made Stamkos a limited offer due to limited cap space - then proceeds to trade for cap space but refuses to change the offer while signing a replacement player.

Pretty sure if your employer did the same to you after working at a company for 16 years even after you indicate you'd be willing to stay and to take a pay cut, you'd be disappointed too.

Now they of course run the business as they see best but there's a human side to it too - and as mentioned, sometimes even the best of us make mistakes. At the end of the day, perhaps all the moves JBB made nets Tampa another cup or two and that would be awesome. However, looking from the outside in this still could have been handled better in my opinion.
You can't help but wonder if the team has some kind of important internal metric on which Stamkos just doesn't score very well. They have seemed very ready to walk away from him a few times. Feels like they knew this was coming, for sure, a year ago.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
This sucks, fml
No, you don't understand or your talking out of both sides of your mouth. So please, tell us all how this comes out with a happy ending if Stammer is not on the Lightning? Stammer is hurt and it is 100% understandable, but not you and not another person here has a clue as to what went on on the inside. I don't either, but I have watched how this organization operated under this man and I do not believe for one minute that Vinik would allow JBB to have just said, "f*** you Stammer, see you later" which seems to be the general understanding as to how it all came down from most of the know-it-alls here.
Preach brother but RIP us… wtf was this an EgO move… Im so annoyed, we can’t have nice things.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Hearing Stamkos do his Presser with the Preds is heartbreaking. He is throwing JBB under the bus in a major way and said he did everything he could to stay but BriseBitch didnt budge

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
You join a company when it’s at its lowest. You stick with it, help build it, and bring it lots of success. You take pay cuts multiple times all along the way for the betterment of the company. You eventually, quite literally, lead that company to the pinnacle of achievement, twice in a row.

You’ve given your entire career to this place. You’re proud of what you’ve helped build, everyone loves you for it.

And when discussion of how you’re compensated comes up again, the company low balls the shit out of you for no reason, and says f*** you, bye.

How you feelin?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Hearing Stamkos do his Presser with the Preds is heartbreaking. He is throwing JBB under the bus in a major way and said he did everything he could to stay but BriseBitch didnt budge
Yea I was chillin until Stamkos dropped that quote, and now Im really questioning things…Is this going to torpedo the franchise?

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Not a salary cap, but a budget. His analogy is pretty fair and reasonable.

Cirelli is one for starters. All the knocks Stamkos gets of being a PP merchant, losing his legs, turning into a geriatric paraplegic, 340 years old, etc. How about we look at our 2C incapable of outscoring Mr. Bean? Nick Paul on a 3 X 8 is what Stamkos would've been on. Stamkos was better on the draw than Cirelli. Cirelli being outscored and mitigated to penalty killing is kind of like... what do you do here for 6.25M? Oh, that's right, he had one elite defensive season years in the past and finally hit 20 goals. So, for starters there's his vanilla self that isn't up to par for large portions of the season. Let's not forget his elite defending was so impactful that we've gotten bounced in back to back 1st rounds.

So, there's Stamkos being offered Nick Paul money yet doing more than Cirelli. Probably the same drum myself and others have been beating for years on here. Cirelli is overrated as f*** and now just like Sergachev had the "prove us wrong" moment - and he didn't - Cirelli has that all to himself.
For starters, a budget and hard cap are different. A budget is a guideline which under certain circumstances can be set aside and a hard cap is just that. As for the Cirelli argument, we could argue all day about the merits of Cirelli but we probably wouldn't have to because I agree. Not that he is a half-assed player in terms of effort, but that he is overpaid and not productive enough but that still doesn't change the fact that Cirelli is here and under contract and would have to be moved. Now, despite what some others think on these pages, your not finding a taker for Cirelli for another 7 years at 6.25M.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
You can't help but wonder if the team has some kind of important internal metric on which Stamkos just doesn't score very well. They have seemed very ready to walk away from him a few times. Feels like they knew this was coming, for sure, a year ago.
If there's such a metric, there's no way they're looking at Cirelli and saying he passes but the second greatest goal scorer of his generation doesn't. Come on now. Say what you want about ES vs PP numbers, but he still makes plays Cirelli does not. And Cirelli makes twice as much as he was offered. Cirelli is the forward where plays go to die, and this is coming from someone that shits on Stamkos tripping at the blue line and dipsy doodling passes blindly on the half wall. No player is perfect but if we're really magnifying player chances on some sort of metric, no way I'm taking Cirelli over Stamkos with the puck. Cirelli's number one move is to Luis Mendoza himself into the goalie and hope the puck follows.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I need to know where Vinik is on this and what he thinks? I know he doesn’t like to meddle in the day to day operations of the team. But how this was handled isn’t how you should treat someone who has given everything to this team and community.
Vinik cares about the value of the franchise and increasing it. That value rises with the number of playoff rounds we win. We didn’t win one for two years in a row.

Here is how it went down: GM pulls out his plan C (let Stamkos walk, shakeup defense) and says “we might as well try this because what we’ve got doesn’t work”. Vinik nods and releases budget for #91 retirement party to smooth the waters. The end.

Or something like that.

Reactions: Meuracas

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
The wound was just cut open, so naturally it hurts. However, time will heal it for most, even if a scare will remain for some.

Even if the situations were vastly different, it reminds me of when Marty left, people were upset and emotional about it, but with a bit of distance and understanding, it was something that could be managed.

I've read through some of the Stamkos threads from the past and at times, there was a lot of frustration and negativity about him (mostly related to playoffs), but more so a ton of respect and love, for all that he did over the years. While I think it's healthy to remember both the good and the bad, I rather focus on the good right here and now.

Also, what was right or wrong, in terms of how it was managed, I feel can be looked into later on.

In the end, we were fortunate to have such a great captain for such a long time!

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
For starters, a budget and hard cap are different. A budget is a guideline which under certain circumstances can be set aside and a hard cap is just that. As for the Cirelli argument, we could argue all day about the merits of Cirelli but we probably wouldn't have to because I agree. Not that he is a half-assed player in terms of effort, but that he is overpaid and not productive enough but that still doesn't change the fact that Cirelli is here and under contract and would have to be moved. Now, despite what some others think on these pages, your not finding a taker for Cirelli for another 7 years at 6.25M.
While fair, I disagree on that final part and said it yesterday. Cirelli has value. We shit on Sergachev and polarized his flaws yet Utah gave us a good return. Cirelli would easily return a 1 for 1 "hockey trade," or something centered on futures. Not that's what we should do right now, but he definitely has value.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Missing from the analogies are the $100m lifetime earnings sitting in the bank. Personally I wouldn't uproot my kids and wife just because I didn't get enough respect from a contract offer for the last couple years or so of my career but that's why I'm not a professional athlete.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Like a fresh start? lol…. ok I guess maybe JBB is just eccentric.
Not sure what you mean but they either underperformed or weren’t good enough. Either way that leads to changes in pro sports. Maybe the change shouldn’t have been Stammer, maybe it should have been Coop or even JBB. But trading Sergy to use the cap money to sign Stammer and another 4-5 million winger doesn’t move the needle enough or shake up the room. JBB could have done this wrong, if so he will pay with his job, it is inevitable, win or get fired, traded, not signed,etc.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
You join a company when it’s at its lowest. You stick with it, help build it, and bring it lots of success. You take pay cuts multiple times all along the way for the betterment of the company. You eventually, quite literally, lead that company to the pinnacle of achievement, twice in a row.

You’ve given your entire career to this place. You’re proud of what you’ve helped build, everyone loves you for it.

And when discussion of how you’re compensated comes up again, the company low balls the shit out of you for no reason, and says f*** you, bye.

How you feelin?
Missing from the analogies are the $100m lifetime earnings sitting in the bank. Personally I wouldn't uproot my kids and wife just because I didn't get enough respect from a contract offer for the last couple years or so of my career but that's why I'm not a professional athlete.
Good counter point Hoek, interesting. It doesn’t look great for JBB right now. It almost feels like he has to respond in this press conference to what Stamkos said… oh boy lol

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I get what you're saying but then you could use that argument on a league minimum or a $1 special. Hey Perry, you've made enough and taken 1M lately, why sign 1.4M? Just because a player has made a healthy amount doesn't mean you lowball the piss out of him. I don't blame Stamkos for saying no and I don't blame him for then maximizing his next and potentially last deal elsewhere because "hometown discount" wasn't on the menu as the hometown team wasn't feeling it with him

Reactions: Bartleby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad