Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
We should all appreciate Stamkos and possibly have some problems with JBBs handling of the situation but some of the sappy gushing and concurrent outrage is embarrassing. In the salary cap era it is virtually impossible for a player to stay with one team for his entire career if he wants to get paid, that just the way it is. Lets be thankful for the great player, person and captain he was but recognize the reality of the situation.
You’d have a point if he hadn’t asked for 4-5m. By all accounts it sounds like Stammer understood the situation and was willing to agree to a discount.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
You’d have a point if he hadn’t asked for 4-5m. By all accounts it sounds like Stammer understood the situation and was willing to agree to a discount.
I don't know what the terms discussed were and neither does anyone else here. But here's the bottom line, JBB may be the one taking the heat right now, but it is Vinik's team and his franchise that is taking the PR hit so there is no way that any of this happened without the knowledge and consent of arguably the best owner in all of professional sports, an owner who has given every available resource to make this one of the most envied franchises in the league.

So, if you all want to rant about the injustice and whatever else, you have to rant at Vinik too. As for myself, like I do for Stammer, I appreciate everything that Vinik has done at least as much and respect that, as hard as the decision had to be, he made it.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Thought on it for a few hours, still disgusted.

Stamkos was robbed of being a lifer by a GM that seems to think he's the smartest guy in every room he walks into. The man gave us 16 years, helped drag us out of the gutter, won 2 Cups, and was perhaps the most beloved sports figure in the city.

Sounds like JBB refused to work with him whatsoever and tossed him to the curb. Incredibly frustrating to see one man's arrogance cost us, and Stamkos, something so rare. To refuse to negotiate for a full year, and then pull this shit? I'm glad Stamkos will be somewhere where management appreciates him.

This is all ignoring the fact that we now have a gaping hole in our top 6 that could have allegedly been filled at a decent discount.

I honestly can't get over this one. I'm livid. Sometime in the next few years JBB will be gone, but it will be too late to rectify this one. What a colossal f*** up.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Best captain we've had and maybe the most iconic athlete we've had in Tampa sports history. I eagerly await his statue and jersey retirement. Thanks for pouring your heart out for the team, coming back from devastating injury and reinventing yourself time and time again. Sorry things ended this way.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Man it’s rough watching him sing with another team and hear how, atleast he feels, the Lightning didn’t really make an effort to keep him.

Anyway hope it’s works out for both sides.

Most importantly, thanks Stammer

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
JBB getting destroyed almost everywhere

It's out now in the NHL...we treated Hockey royalty like trash.

Players notice this. This was a premier destination. Stammer started the taking a hometown discount culture.

We couldn't figure out a way to keep him? Oh captain, my captain.

JBB is a total POS human. He's just a mess at GM at this point.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I don't know what the terms discussed were and neither does anyone else here. But here's the bottom line, JBB may be the one taking the heat right now, but it is Vinik's team and his franchise that is taking the PR hit so there is no way that any of this happened without the knowledge and consent of arguably the best owner in all of professional sports, an owner who has given every available resource to make this one of the most envied franchises in the league.

So, if you all want to rant about the injustice and whatever else, you have to rant at Vinik too. As for myself, like I do for Stammer, I appreciate everything that Vinik has done at least as much and respect that, as hard as the decision had to be, he made it.
That’s all fine but for you to say this was a ”situation where it was impossible for a player to stay due salary cap” is just not true.

At the end of the day it’s a business, we all get that. However there are ways to run a business too and this is not the way I expected the franchise I've learned to love to treat their long-time captain and ambassador. Stamkos was never top priority no matter what JBB said.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
That’s all fine but for you to say this was a ”situation where it was impossible for a player to stay due salary cap” is just not true.

At the end of the day it’s a business, we all get that. However there are ways to run a business too and this is not the way I expected the franchise I've learned to love to treat their long-time captain and ambassador. Stamkos was never top priority no matter what JBB said.
Even if he wasn't top priority doesn't mean you lowball and snuff an option to remain a top team. There's an unnecessary hole right now that depletes the assets we have for a future trade or we play somebody on the roster in the top 6. All around mess. It's a total clown move.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
I hope every reporter, beat writer, any and everyone allowed into BriseBois' press conference, hammers him with questions and brings up Stamkos' words about how the GM refused to work with him.

That he made it clear he could care less if Stamkos was in the building or not. And then get asked how that is going to impact his locker room full of players that respected the hell out of the guy shoved out of Amalie.

And then I want to hear him squirm about how the team still has 4 out of 6 Top 6 forwards with 2 fringe guys and that about sums up your forward depth. So what now considering anyone else that could have been signed is pretty much off the table (and weren't any better than who you already had in your building). And I'd like to see Vinik sitting right next to him to answer questions on how this was allowed.

He has cap space and here comes the quantity over quality crap like when he originally traded McDonagh.

If he isn't grilled over his handling of the past two off-seasons, there is no accountability in sports journalism.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I hope every reporter, beat writer, any and everyone allowed into BriseBois' press conference, hammers him with questions and brings up Stamkos' words about how the GM refused to work with him.

That he made it clear he could care less if Stamkos was in the building or not. And then get asked how that is going to impact his locker room full of players that respected the hell out of the guy shoved out of Amalie.

And then I want to hear him squirm about how the team still has 4 out of 6 Top 6 forwards with 2 fringe guys and that about sums up your forward depth. So what now considering anyone else that could have been signed is pretty much off the table (and weren't any better than who you already had in your building). And I'd like to see Vinik sitting right next to him to answer questions on how this was allowed.

He has cap space and here comes the quantity over quality crap like when he originally traded McDonagh.

If he isn't grilled over his handling of the past two off-seasons, there is no accountability in sports journalism.
This. He's been a shitshow since the Jeannot trade. McD trade was dog shit, coming back to pick McD over Serg, moving on from Jeannot. He's clearly spun his tires and realized he f***ed up recently. Now, if this ain't a wake up call, he's done f***ed up again.

Nobody was prioritizing Stamkos over a particular player, so it's so f***ing wild. It's not like he's holding up young talent, an ELC, or a potential UFA. You literally had a legacy player and lethal top 6. Now you've got shit for brains Cirelli dragging down a much better offensive player in Hagel and no Stamkos to boot.

Bottom six only needed two 1-1.5M guys. It was that f***ing easy.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
How do these moves make us better overall?

they do not. There's no direction. Yzerman's notes are all gone.

JBB is total garbage. This team is doomed. What a waste.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

No, you clearly don't get it. Short of him staying, there was no good way for this to happen. And as I posted earlier, if you all want pile on JBB, then you have to pile on Vinik as well and anyone willing to go there is an ingrate.

Bunch of selfish children who want to have their cake and eat it too.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Guranteed JBB conference will not call stammer a hall of fame player

“When I became GM of the Predators, I said many times that I was looking to add ‘serial winners’ to our franchise, and there is perhaps no one who fits that mold more than Steven Stamkos,” Trotz said. “We’re incredibly excited to sign a Hall of Fame player and person on what is now a massive day for the future of our organization. Having twice won the Stanley Cup as a captain, Steven is a proven winner and leader who will make us a better team on the ice with his production and in the locker room as someone for our younger players to learn from.”

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad