The Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Good thing the senior team couldn't have used him at the EM...

Do you think he'll be able to force himself in the NT starting 11 in the near future, likes of Özil, Müller are not old for a couple of years at least, and then there are Draxler, Götze with more experience with the NT...or even Leroy Sane of the same age by a little.

There's a lot of competition for places, but Brandt certainly seems to be in the picture already...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Do you think he'll be able to force himself in the NT starting 11 in the near future, likes of Özil, Müller are not old for a couple of years at least, and then there are Draxler, Götze with more experience with the NT...or even Leroy Sane of the same age by a little.

There's a lot of competition for places, but Brandt certainly seems to be in the picture already...

He's clearly better than Draxler, Sane, or Schürrle, but Löw prefers all of them for some reason. Even Reus I'd say (who was good at times this season, but isn't as smart). Müller and Götze weren't in great form this summer, either, so he very much should have already been in the mix at this EM. I think this season he'll really break out as a world class player and force Löw to incorporate him though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He would've been a starter if I was the coach. So he better; although Jogi has ignored a lot of talented players who deserved to be in the team, so who knows? But he really should.

He's clearly better than Draxler, Sane, or Schürrle, but Löw prefers all of them for some reason. Even Reus I'd say (who was good at times this season, but isn't as smart). Müller and Götze weren't in great form this summer, either, so he very much should have already been in the mix at this EM. I think this season he'll really break out as a world class player and force Löw to incorporate him though.

Draxler at this EM showed that he has a case to be ahead of Brandt, so I have less of an issue with that one; but agreed about the others.

Volland, Kruse & Stindl would've also been forwards I considered as well, but of the guys who were fit: Mueller, Brandt, & Draxler should've been the locks; with Sane and that trio in contention for the remaining spots.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, who do think he's best suited to play with for Germany?

Personally I still like Draxler a lot, so I hope they both could fit in. I guess Müller can play with pretty much everyone.

But maybe Özil is hardest for Brandt to win place over for the next few years, so I wonder which position he would play most likely in the Nationalelf.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wanted to us to play:

Brandt/Draxler - Mueller
Oezil
Kroos - Dahoud
Weigl
Hector - Hummels - Boateng - Weiser/Kimmich​

And once Mueller showed the form he was in I would've replaced him with the other of Brandt/Draxler

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So, who do think he's best suited to play with for Germany?

Personally I still like Draxler a lot, so I hope they both could fit in. I guess Müller can play with pretty much everyone.

But maybe Özil is hardest for Brandt to win place over for the next few years, so I wonder which position he would play most likely in the Nationalelf.

Brandt is a really versatile attacker like Götze and Müller, but he might be generally better in wider areas than in the middle. Draxler is a very nice player who - like Sane - is a bit better technically than Brandt, but doesn't have the same crazy feel for the game, timing, and offensive decision-making.

I would have played in a 3-3-1-3 (players who were healthy at the time, whether they were selected or not):
Brandt, Götze, Müller
Özil
Dahoud, Kroos, Kimmich
Hummels, S. Bender, Boateng
Neuer

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Another masterclass performance from him.

This Germany team has really gelled now, although i still think Brazil and Columbia have the attacking talent to score enough against them and win. But no team in the tournament can afford to sit against them and allow them to dominate possession, they'll eventually concede too many goals.

Can't see either Nigeria or Denmark beating them, but the final could be a tricky affair. If it were to be against Korea again, they give Germany fits in the group stage, especially Son Min Heung was at times impossible to control.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Marquinhos is a beast. Waaaay better than David Luiz. He and Rodrigo Caio are the cornerstone of this team.

Brazil vs Germany in the finals would be nuts.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
CBC taking multiple commercial breaks (every 10 min) during the Brazil/Sweden game. Brutal, absolutely brutal.

edit: 5min to half-time, commercial. Almost missed a goal too :laugh:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
CBC taking multiple commercial breaks (every 10 min) during the Brazil/Sweden game. Brutal, absolutely brutal.

edit: 5min to half-time, commercial. Almost missed a goal too :laugh:

LOL. That's horrible. Never watched a soccer(football :rant:) game with commercial breaks in the middle of the game :laugh:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Regardless of what happens I guess Sweden was no fluke. Never thought they'd take Brazil to ET

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad