GDT: "The object of war is not to die for your team, but to make the other bastard die for his." (Game #3 - Oct. 13) Battle of Alberta [6pm MT, 3am EEST]

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Stats are always useful if you understand the math and the context. Entirely too many people suck at contextualizing numbers though, which leads to takes like this.

For example, Calgary has scored 5.67 goals per game. Useless stat. How we know that is Calgary shooting 18.39% at all strengths and the powerplay is operating at 27.3% while getting an unreasonable share of the PP opportunities (63.5%). Useful stats.

A actual useful offensive stat though is despite playing 3 teams that have been stingy so far this season at allowing chances, we have actually been a high end team at creating high danger chances so far. We are third in the league at creating high danger chances to this point, and it’s fueling some of the offense we’ve been seeing to start the year.

Stats are only unreliable to people who lack the ability to use them properly.
And your argument for stats has a whole lot of holes...

1. Expected stats, are highly unreliable. Not only is hockey a game with close to infinite possible results on any given play, there is no consensus method to calculate these stats.
2. Stats are only as reliable as the person sharing them as they are very easily manipulated, and frankly I have generally thought your opinions are utter garbage on a good day, so I don't trust the stats you would present.
3. Sample size. It f***ing matters.

If a 25+ pick swings your boat, sure 👍
As opposed to letting him walk for free?

Bitching about the return on an expiring asset makes no sense since we'd take the best offer.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Currently not much worse than 14-15 Flames defense... and they somehow got into the second round on the backs of Brodie, Wideman, Russell and Engelland (Gio injured at around half way).

It'd be its own insanity if it's somehow a repeat of 14-15 and we go to ploffs and the Oilers win another lottery ball this season.
Gio was the favourite for the Norris before his injury, but Brodie was otherworldly that season. It was tragic that he got saddled with Engelland after Gio went down.

Reactions: Figgy44

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
And your argument for stats has a whole lot of holes...

1. Expected stats, are highly unreliable. Not only is hockey a game with close to infinite possible results on any given play, there is no consensus method to calculate these stats.
2. Stats are only as reliable as the person sharing them as they are very easily manipulated, and frankly I have generally thought your opinions are utter garbage on a good day, so I don't trust the stats you would present.
3. Sample size. It f***ing matters.

As opposed to letting him walk for free?

Bitching about the return on an expiring asset makes no sense since we'd take the best offer.
This is just pedantic now, because it doesn’t perfectly encompass the sport it’s useless now? Once again I find the people who struggle with it the most are the ones who aren’t very fluent with numbers, they do still need to be contextualized and compared against actual results. Disregarding them though is asinine.

They can’t be manipulated unless you’re accusing me of making numbers up. They can be cherry picked, using only data that supports an argument while leaving out data that flies in the face of it however. So yes if you see someone relying on one single stat to prove a point I’d be weary. Something tells me you’ll come up with a reason why a lot more data showing the same thing doesn’t change anything though.

Data trends are also important not just sample size. If a machine is producing materials with a .1% fail rate for months, and all of a sudden has 5 defects in a stretch of 10 products, you don’t assume random variance you assume something just broke. We don’t have much to go off of yet this year, but what we do have would be fool hardy to ignore. The ironic part is you’re arguing against advanced stats because of sample size but it’s actually the best sample we have. Our actual results have been dictated by about 25 goals that have those chaotic elements you’ve mentioned. So far there have been 372 chances across those 3 games.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
That Hanifin trade doesn't look rosy...
Sure it does. Miro isn't bad and we picked up Pachal for free because Vegas waived him to make room for Hanifin. Then add in the 2025 1st (now moved to 2026) and a conditional 3rd round pick. Not sure what happened to the 3rd.

Add in all the extra cap space and the performance to-date of our D and I'd say we did alright.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not sure what happened to the 3rd.

f*** the Capitals lol

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Gio was the favourite for the Norris before his injury, but Brodie was otherworldly that season. It was tragic that he got saddled with Engelland after Gio went down.

I still give eggs props for elevating his game and going from a #6 face puncher to a passable second pairing with Brodie.

Dude was massively overpaid at first, but somehow found a way to make his contract worth every penny by the end.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I still give eggs props for elevating his game and going from a #6 face puncher to a passable second pairing with Brodie.

Dude was massively overpaid at first, but somehow found a way to make his contract worth every penny by the end.
King Deryk of Engelland

Reactions: Figgy44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad