The NHL Sucks at Scheduling and Marketing

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Major trades happening during the Cup Finals, HHOF class announced a day after the Cup, draft and free agency just a few days later. The major award winners will also get announced sometime this week. Cup parade a day after the draft and a day before free agency... All this avalanche of news/events happening during a one week span, then 2 months of the league going quiet until September..

The NFL times every little event that happens in their league to generate as much buzz as possible and ensure they're driving the sports news cycle at all times. The NHL does the opposite, it's a bunch of amateurs self-sabotaging.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Major trades happening during the Cup Finals, HHOF class announced a day after the Cup, draft and free agency just a few days later. The major award winners will also get announced sometime this week. Cup parade a day after the draft and a day before free agency... All this avalanche of news/events happening during a one week span, then 2 months of the league going quiet until September..

The NFL times every little event that happens in their league to generate as much buzz as possible and ensure they're driving the sports news cycle at all times. The NHL does the opposite, it's a bunch of amateurs self-sabotaging.
NHL tries to limit the overlap with the NFL season, NBA finals and MLB playoffs which results in this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL tries to limit the overlap with the NFL season, NBA finals and MLB playoffs which results in this.
Only going to get worse for the NHL as the NFL added game 17 and they don't start their regular season until after Labour Day. They leave that weekend to NCAAF.

And with an 18th game on the horizon, which would include another bye week, going to add 2 more weeks into Feb and thus SB played in late Feb vs like the 7-13. It will be played in the 20's when they do add that extra game.

Reactions: DaveG

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I'm not a fan of the season getting extended this far into June, but unfortunately the league doesn't operate in a vacuum. I think Jeff Marek joked about it in his podcast this week and a lot of it is driven by TV.

ESPN got the NHL rights in the US, but they also have the TV rights for the MLB wild card games in early October. So they didn't want to counterprogram against itself by having it against NHL opening week.

ABC/ESPN also have/had the rights to the NBA Finals. They have the rights to the Stanley Cup Final every other year. Their objective is to have as many eye balls as possible, so they schedule it so that there won't be an overlap. In the past, the NHL would have a game or two overlap with the NBA Conference Finals and 20-25% of the audience suddenly goes away (Chicago-Philadelphia Game 1 2010 for example).

I don't think the casual fan cares that much if the Dubois-Kuemper trade was announced during or after the Finals. If it were after the SCF, I don't think that trade would have suddenly been a lead story in the US.

Last edited:

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Yep, Bettman will do anything possible to stuff the owner's pockets with more money, regardless of the fan experience and overall product. I for one am super excited for all the new expansion teams, ads everywhere and the cup handed out middle of July..
:S

Reactions: awegrzyn

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
They do suck at marketing, that's a given, a front office clean-up would help the NHL's sake.

But, we still got (IMO) one of the best Stanley Cup finals in a long time, and the draft and free agency are 3 days apart, for hockey fans, it'll be interesting til next friday.

So while I agree the timing is weird, at least, to me, it's the good kind of weird.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

They could have easily reclaimed 4 days by not giving an extra travel day between cities in the final. They'd have had a full week between game 7 and draft day.

Reactions: DaveG

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Scheduling is based on travel, arena availability and what's happening in other sports. So it's unfair to compare to the NBA/NFL when they can schedule whatever dates they want, while the NHL has to wait and see what they choose.

Reactions: Duke749

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They could have easily reclaimed 4 days by not giving an extra travel day between cities in the final. They'd have had a full week between game 7 and draft day.

Again, the scheduling is driven by TV. ABC had the NBA Finals too and they weren't going to have both on the same day.

I'm sure the players didn't mind the extra recovery day between venue changes after an 82 game season and three playoff rounds. They declared the schedule before the finalists were determined. Two days might have been excessive had it been Dallas and Florida, but a single travel day between Edmonton and Florida would have been rough for the players.

aldridge-2024-nba-finals-schedule-v0-V5cZS-JrG29h2dCeoBeY_9_-MJ18gW0E-YYv9_-ue28.jpg

nhl-public-relations-the-2024-stanleycup-final-will-begin-v0-0zEr_semIXZ7oukXfMBrFcH2n35Q1Q2pbOJpoA2NizE.jpg

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It's really unfortunate that this finals ended up playing out like this. I think I read that Game 7 drew record viewership, and the league will think that it's because of their late scheduling, but it really isn't... it's because the Oilers climbed back from 3 down. And that would've drawn the same number of viewers if the game was on June 15th.

The season needs to start on October 1st at the latest, and end on June 1st at the latest.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The season needs to start on October 1st at the latest, and end on June 1st at the latest.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but here are reasons owners/networks wouldn't:

- ESPN doesn't want NHL opening week to conflict with the MLB wild card round which they also have the TV rights for.

- ABC would see a noticeable ratings drop if the Stanley Cup Finals go up against the NBA Conference Finals.

- Some markets don't want to have home games competing against NCAA+NFL and want to have as small an overlap as possible.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
It's really unfortunate that this finals ended up playing out like this. I think I read that Game 7 drew record viewership, and the league will think that it's because of their late scheduling, but it really isn't... it's because the Oilers climbed back from 3 down. And that would've drawn the same number of viewers if the game was on June 15th.

To be fair, they will view this as evidence that they were correct to schedule around the NBA Finals. And they will be justified in doing so. This game wouldn't have been the second most watched SCF game on record if they had been up against game 7 of the NBA finals.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Again, the scheduling is driven by TV. ABC had the NBA Finals too and they weren't going to have both on the same day.

I'm sure the players didn't mind the extra recovery day between venue changes after an 82 game season and three playoff rounds. They declared the schedule before the finalists were determined. Two days might have been excessive had it been Dallas and Florida, but a single travel day between Edmonton and Florida would have been rough for the players.

aldridge-2024-nba-finals-schedule-v0-V5cZS-JrG29h2dCeoBeY_9_-MJ18gW0E-YYv9_-ue28.jpg

nhl-public-relations-the-2024-stanleycup-final-will-begin-v0-0zEr_semIXZ7oukXfMBrFcH2n35Q1Q2pbOJpoA2NizE.jpg
Aware, but it's US tv that's dictating later start times and this expanded timeline. Used to be the leagues sorted it out. Now the NHL bends over.

Those 4 days contributed to why things are compressed. And, I still wonder if that extra day is there if the two teams are eastern time zone.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I agree but also it is pretty awesome to have all these NHL events happening this week. Like a nice sendoff of NHL action before a few months off.
But.........there's always been the draft, then UFA day (Canada day)

We shouldn't be watching game 7 of the SCF on June 24th or whatever Monday was.

Start the season sooner.

Feels like the teams sent that message to the NHL with all the trades and stuff.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The real reason why it's compressed is because they added 7 days to the season for unknown reasons. I even submitted it as a question to 32 thoughts and their thought line to see if Jeff and Elliotte cared enough to find out why this happened, the answer was no.

2022-23 was a 185 day season (which was always the case pre-COVID and in non-Olympic years) and there were some rescheduled games on day 186.

2023-24 was a 192 day season

If they had continued with their 186 day season model of years past, the Cup final ends on June 17th or so and this thread isn't a thing.

Also trades happening during the Cup Final should not be viewed as a negative at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad