Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
huh-ew.gif

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Methods for identifying and certifying ownership over digital objects are cool and imperative in adapting to an increasingly digital world. You can't complain about AI's being trained on data it doesn't own if you have no way to certify ownership of data.

People turned a great idea into animated images of monkeys because they wanted to make a quick buck. And now they are all people think NFT's can be. And, unfortunately, seemingly all they will be for the foreseeable future.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Methods for identifying and certifying ownership over digital objects are cool and imperative in adapting to an increasingly digital world. You can't complain about AI's being trained on data it doesn't own if you have no way to certify ownership of data.

People turned a great idea into animated images of monkeys because they wanted to make a quick buck. And now they are all people think NFT's can be. And, unfortunately, seemingly all they will be for the foreseeable future.

Disagree heavily. NFT's have always been nonsense meant to target people who don't understand what they are buying, but just buying due to hype. It was always a nonsense concept and will never ever be a thing.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just listened to a podcast episode on how much of a shady grift all that was- behind the bastards, good shit if you wanna get real jaded real quick- blockchain is cool in theory I guess, but useless because humans are a mess.

Anyways, here’s my NFT of Bettman:

depositphotos_564483656-stock-illustration-dollar-eyes-greedy-devil-facial.jpg

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Disagree heavily. NFT's have always been nonsense meant to target people who don't understand what they are buying, but just buying due to hype. It was always a nonsense concept and will never ever be a thing.
I can't stress enough how much a way to certify ownership of data and digital media needs to be a thing. That doesn't mean it needs to be built on the blockchain.

Calling it a nonsense concept because of monkey images and crypto scammers is extremely shortsighted.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What the hell...NFTs have almost no value anymore and few people are interested in them. What a waste.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I can't stress enough how much a way to certify ownership of data and digital media needs to be a thing. That doesn't mean it needs to be built on the blockchain.

Calling it a nonsense concept because of monkey images and crypto scammers is extremely shortsighted.

But that is not what that is. This is like my buying the rights to your comment. What do I actually get? Do I get any copyright protection or any other things you would get with ownership? No, I get a blockchain verified asset that say I own the URL to your comment.

You can copy your comment to another thread and I have no rights to it. HFboards can migrate and lose the URL and my investment is gone. As an IT professional, the very fact that all value is tied to a URL which is a meaningless thing that can be changed at any time in a few moments of time is absurd.

NFT's are essentially a skin or camo in a video game and when the new one comes out you lose all of them. And if you read their plan, they plan to sell the same NFT cards like 250 times, just each with different URL's.

Now if we want to talk about digital ownership, that is a different conversation. NFT's are a grift to fool folks into thinking they own something.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
But that is not what that is. This is like my buying the rights to your comment. What do I actually get? Do I get any copyright protection or any other things you would get with ownership? No, I get a blockchain verified asset that say I own the URL to your comment.

You can copy your comment to another thread and I have no rights to it. HFboards can migrate and lose the URL and my investment is gone. As an IT professional, the very fact that all value is tied to a URL which is a meaningless thing that can be changed at any time in a few moments of time is absurd.

NFT's are essentially a skin or camo in a video game and when the new one comes out you lose all of them. And if you read their plan, they plan to sell the same NFT cards like 250 times, just each with different URL's.

Now if we want to talk about digital ownership, that is a different conversation. NFT's are a grift to fool folks into thinking they own something.
Yes, I'm annoyed (read pissed, sad, irate) with NFT because they turned the idea of digital ownership into a crypto scam and, to the general public, animated monkey images. They single-handedly set us back years in the discussion around digital ownership, right around the same time as people started noticing that people were training AI models on their online data, and now we have two separate conversations going on where digital signatures lead people to think about NFT and monkey images, and people are terrified and angry because there is no way to digitally sign their online data to claim ownership.

We're on the same page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad