The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My solution is let the players play, if you want to take legal runs at people which can result in injury accept that you're gonna risk getting pummeled for risking someone else health.

Your analogy is asinine at best and your parents should be embarrassed for letting you online with that ridiculousness.

Hockey is fine, the fanbase needs to stfu about stupid shit though.
i tried to think of a better analogy, but what you said was so stupid i was unable to. if you want to see a fight after every clean hit, you might not actually be a hockey fan.

by the way, shots can also cause injury. should we have fights after a blocked shot too? “well, if you don’t want to pay the consequences, don’t shoot the puck”.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My solution is let the players play, if you want to take legal runs at people which can result in injury accept that you're gonna risk getting pummeled for risking someone else health.

Your analogy is asinine at best and your parents should be embarrassed for letting you online with that ridiculousness.

Hockey is fine, the fanbase needs to stfu about stupid shit though.

I empathize with the old man barking at idiots. Too many people now a days seem to be missing some key lessons in manners and behavior.

It’s mostly perceptional bias. Go back to any point in modern history and you’ll find the same general sentiment from older generations.

Regardless, to hang your argument about a hockey phenomenon on parallels with a perceived degradation in greater society is grandiose hyperbole to the nth degree.

Reactions: MartyOwns

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Instigators should be called MUCH more frequently and it will almost assuredly deter these from happening.

Guy throws a hit and gets jumped? Guy who jumped him should be getting 2 + 5 + 10.
It’s all variable and to the case of course. This is why a murderer may get a different conviction than another murderer. As such, a one size fits all will
not work.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think it’s actually reasonable to expect fights after big clean hits. Clean hits can still result in injuries so you still want to deter it. Often the fight initiator might be fringe guy looking to get noticed and make an impression on his teammates. Again, reasonable to expect someone to do whatever they can to stay in the lineup. Their career earnings are on the line.

A lot of the time, though, the player that got hit is clearly fine but his teammate still steps in to fight. Often that player didn’t even see the hit, just the aftermath. I recall an example last season where they even fought the wrong guy.
Since when did fighting stop guys throwing hits? Especially at this level.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I feel like this is a down stream effect of
A- chequing being moved later in minor hockey
B- greater understanding of concussions (rightfully) moving the line on what is a dirty/clean hit.

Everyone used to be in the thick of it from the time they were ten years old, and the line between what was clean and not was pretty clear. If it wasn't obviously late, from behind, leading with an elbow, or a stick- clean. Now- a little too high? Primary point of contact? The lines are blurred.

If there was a scrum like that or fight after every hit prior to ~2010 games would have lasted for 5 hours.
ROFL, You forget Kronwall laid out some of his biggest hits prior to 2010 right? Or almost decade prior with Stevens. Scrums have been jumping off after hits for as long as I've been watching hockey.

i tried to think of a better analogy, but what you said was so stupid i was unable to. if you want to see a fight after every clean hit, you might not actually be a hockey fan.

by the way, shots can also cause injury. should we have fights after a blocked shot too? “well, if you don’t want to pay the consequences, don’t shoot the puck”.
If you want players to stop trying to fight people hitting, maybe take hitting out. Or go watch soccer. I quite like the game as it is, you don't seem to.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ITT

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hits risk injury, take that liberty with in the rules or outside of it and expect that liberty to be taken with you.

You're bs narrative you're trying to spin with the take a number crap is not how it's been. Line brawls, bench clearing etc all occurred in situations where hits were thrown legally and illegally.

Stop trying to spin and just own your ignorance. No one will think less of you.
Must agree here...Those crazy line brawls circa 70s, 80s, and going into the early 90s were not only one of those 'take a number and pay it back later'...Crazy shit went down back then...These scrums today after the whistle are cute, warm, and fuzzy compared to what was seen 30 plus years ago.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Since when did fighting stop guys throwing hits? Especially at this level.
More often than not a fight won't stop many players from throwing a big hit (Scott Stevens and Vlad Konstantinov are good examples), but it's knowing you'll likely get paid a visit immediately, or later on at some point may may some players think twice.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
True, but not because of what you say. Stevens was intimidating, who was going to go after him?

It's not like they weren't going after him because they were afraid of fighting him.

Stevens was an intimidating hitter but an average fighter. In his fights against Probert, for example, he mostly held on for dear life. Plenty of guys would and have dropped the gloves with Stevens.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Hits risk injury, take that liberty with in the rules or outside of it and expect that liberty to be taken with you.

You're bs narrative you're trying to spin with the take a number crap is not how it's been. Line brawls, bench clearing etc all occurred in situations where hits were thrown legally and illegally.

Stop trying to spin and just own your ignorance. No one will think less of you.

Why so emotional?

You're conflating line brawls and the overall physical nature of the game with having to do with clean hits. This thread is talking about players jumping a guy for throwing a clean legal hit when nothing else is going on. It's become rampant. Of course games got heated and out of control in the 80s and 90s. No one is arguing that.

And yes, taking a number was very much a thing. It's kind of surprising as a hockey fan you think that's a fake narrative. It's literally how hockey was played until the last 10 or 15 years when guys decided a routine hard hit required jumping a guy.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
That’s where the instigator rule is supposed to be used.
I think an amendment to the rule for fighting after a clean hit would be an automatic game misconduct and is reviewable on video replay is needed. The replay would consist if it's a clean hit or not. If it's dirty, then no game misconduct for that said player that instigate the fighting. That way, it would cut out of that kind of thing that we do not want to see, fighting after a clean hit. The penalty would be called instigate fighting after clean hit major and deals with severe punishment, a major penalty followed by a game suspension. If the original hit is a dirty play, no penalty would have been given out and referee can rescinded the penalty after the review. So therefore if any ref decide to give an instigator, it would warrant an automatic review that is not related to fighting but video review the prior action toward it. That way, there is a risk involved, a major instigator penalty if it deemed to be clean. I think that there ought to be a balance so that players do not have to drag into a fight if it's clean hit.

That way with this very rule, it would be automatic powerplay situation for one team or the another team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Must agree here...Those crazy line brawls circa 70s, 80s, and going into the early 90s were not only one of those 'take a number and pay it back later'...Crazy shit went down back then...These scrums today after the whistle are cute, warm, and fuzzy compared to what was seen 30 plus years ago.

Right. Which to be clear Im not talking about line brawls when an entire game got heated and all hell breaks loose. Of course that happened. This thread is more about when a guy throws a clean hard hit in a game and gets jumped for it when nothing else is really going on. A single routine hard hit in a game generally did not result in a fight unless you were taking a run at a star player.

If anything the resulting scrum and penalties these days slows things down and quiets the game. I'd rather the guys take a number and try to get them back, which escalates hitting.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
People think scrums after a big hit is new because they listen to idiots talk.

It's the same reason people thought two-way contract meant you didn't need waivers because EA had no idea what it meant and rolled with it for years after everyone had learned.

Scrums after big hits HAS ALWAYS BEEN A THING.

97ll9i.jpg

97llcp.jpg

97llj5.jpg

97llr8.jpg

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Just have the refs call 2+10 as the default. If you want to go after someone for a clean hit expect to be down a man and in the box for a sustained time.

Yes the get this response at a higher frequency now but also you see the big hits way less often too. The occasional scrum after a hit is not such a big deal. Especially if it leads to a powerplay for the team delivering the clean hit. Keep the emotion in the game.

The idea players never used to chase someone down after a big hit ludicrous. The idea players now don't ever take a number for later is ludicrous. I don't miss the deferred "team toughness" of seeing forth line goons fight off the very next faceoff after such a hit. Just call the damn penalties and don't let the score sheet get in the way of that.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Willingness to call a single player for a fighting major and not offset it with minors for the other side would be a nice change in some circumstances.

Reactions: Fatass

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I get ya but players decide how the game is played, how and when to retaliate, when to fight.
Fans don't have to like it or agree , NHL can penalize, fine, or suspend ....but at the end of the day. Players on the ice decide.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

It's not about what he "wants" ( a fight after every clean hit)
It's not about what you want either. Players decide what happen on the ice. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad