The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Instigators should be called MUCH more frequently and it will almost assuredly deter these from happening.

Guy throws a hit and gets jumped? Guy who jumped him should be getting 2 + 5 + 10.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My solution is let the players play, if you want to take legal runs at people which can result in injury accept that you're gonna risk getting pummeled for risking someone else health.

Your analogy is asinine at best and your parents should be embarrassed for letting you online with that ridiculousness.

Hockey is fine, the fanbase needs to stfu about stupid shit though.
i tried to think of a better analogy, but what you said was so stupid i was unable to. if you want to see a fight after every clean hit, you might not actually be a hockey fan.

by the way, shots can also cause injury. should we have fights after a blocked shot too? “well, if you don’t want to pay the consequences, don’t shoot the puck”.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My solution is let the players play, if you want to take legal runs at people which can result in injury accept that you're gonna risk getting pummeled for risking someone else health.

Your analogy is asinine at best and your parents should be embarrassed for letting you online with that ridiculousness.

Hockey is fine, the fanbase needs to stfu about stupid shit though.

I empathize with the old man barking at idiots. Too many people now a days seem to be missing some key lessons in manners and behavior.

It’s mostly perceptional bias. Go back to any point in modern history and you’ll find the same general sentiment from older generations.

Regardless, to hang your argument about a hockey phenomenon on parallels with a perceived degradation in greater society is grandiose hyperbole to the nth degree.

Reactions: MartyOwns

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Instigators should be called MUCH more frequently and it will almost assuredly deter these from happening.

Guy throws a hit and gets jumped? Guy who jumped him should be getting 2 + 5 + 10.
It’s all variable and to the case of course. This is why a murderer may get a different conviction than another murderer. As such, a one size fits all will
not work.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think it’s actually reasonable to expect fights after big clean hits. Clean hits can still result in injuries so you still want to deter it. Often the fight initiator might be fringe guy looking to get noticed and make an impression on his teammates. Again, reasonable to expect someone to do whatever they can to stay in the lineup. Their career earnings are on the line.

A lot of the time, though, the player that got hit is clearly fine but his teammate still steps in to fight. Often that player didn’t even see the hit, just the aftermath. I recall an example last season where they even fought the wrong guy.
Since when did fighting stop guys throwing hits? Especially at this level.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I feel like this is a down stream effect of
A- chequing being moved later in minor hockey
B- greater understanding of concussions (rightfully) moving the line on what is a dirty/clean hit.

Everyone used to be in the thick of it from the time they were ten years old, and the line between what was clean and not was pretty clear. If it wasn't obviously late, from behind, leading with an elbow, or a stick- clean. Now- a little too high? Primary point of contact? The lines are blurred.

If there was a scrum like that or fight after every hit prior to ~2010 games would have lasted for 5 hours.
ROFL, You forget Kronwall laid out some of his biggest hits prior to 2010 right? Or almost decade prior with Stevens. Scrums have been jumping off after hits for as long as I've been watching hockey.

i tried to think of a better analogy, but what you said was so stupid i was unable to. if you want to see a fight after every clean hit, you might not actually be a hockey fan.

by the way, shots can also cause injury. should we have fights after a blocked shot too? “well, if you don’t want to pay the consequences, don’t shoot the puck”.
If you want players to stop trying to fight people hitting, maybe take hitting out. Or go watch soccer. I quite like the game as it is, you don't seem to.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ITT

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hits risk injury, take that liberty with in the rules or outside of it and expect that liberty to be taken with you.

You're bs narrative you're trying to spin with the take a number crap is not how it's been. Line brawls, bench clearing etc all occurred in situations where hits were thrown legally and illegally.

Stop trying to spin and just own your ignorance. No one will think less of you.
Must agree here...Those crazy line brawls circa 70s, 80s, and going into the early 90s were not only one of those 'take a number and pay it back later'...Crazy shit went down back then...These scrums today after the whistle are cute, warm, and fuzzy compared to what was seen 30 plus years ago.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Since when did fighting stop guys throwing hits? Especially at this level.
More often than not a fight won't stop many players from throwing a big hit (Scott Stevens and Vlad Konstantinov are good examples), but it's knowing you'll likely get paid a visit immediately, or later on at some point may may some players think twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad