The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I'm just going with what I see. Bertuzzi didn't throw any punches.

Kastelic and Bortuzzo got roughings last game, both dropped their gloves and went to the ice.

Thought he throws a left as he gets in and then grapples. Wrestling is also in the fighting rules -

Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linespersons to intervene and separate the combatants.

We've likely all seen this sort of thing - and it's not even a new occurrence, once saw Brad May get a double minor for roughing Ken Baumgartner with Baumer getting a single roughing call... and Ken was KO'd on the first punch, wound up hospitalized, and Mike Gartner dove in to stop May from throwing another punch got a single roughing call too. It allowed the official to be lenient and in this instance he was as well. There are a bunch of things that could be called in this instance within Rule 46 - Bertuzzi for instigating, Kurashev for 3rd man in - if the league was interested in curbing these sorts of things. I don't think they are. They may say they are but we can look at how little they try to penalize guys who do jump to a teammate's defense after that teammate has been hit and it indicates they like the spectacle of it for the fan entertainment value. *shrug*

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Thought he throws a left as he gets in and then grapples. Wrestling is also in the fighting rules -

We've likely all seen this sort of thing - and it's not even a new occurrence, once saw Brad May get a double minor for roughing Ken Baumgartner with Baumer getting a single roughing call... and Ken was KO'd on the first punch, wound up hospitalized, and Mike Gartner dove in to stop May from throwing another punch got a single roughing call too. It allowed the official to be lenient and in this instance he was as well. There are a bunch of things that could be called in this instance within Rule 46 - Bertuzzi for instigating, Kurashev for 3rd man in - if the league was interested in curbing these sorts of things. I don't think they are. They may say they are but we can look at how little they try to penalize guys who do jump to a teammate's defense after that teammate has been hit and it indicates they like the spectacle of it for the fan entertainment value. *shrug*
I don't think Bertuzzi threw a punch. Looks like he just grabs him and they fall down, even when they were on the ice Bertuzzi just held on. There was no fight here at all, nothing really close.

I don't think anything involved here was serious at all.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm saying actions have consequences and it's pretty much always been that way.
Want to line players up? Expect someone is gonna try to clean your clock too. It's part of the game. It's why fighting is a 5 min penalty and not a game ejection/suspension.

This pansy ass view people have with thinking there shouldn't be consequences is a MAJOR problem in todays society, from online trolling to general disrespect everywhere.

While violence doesn't generally solve problems, it does get a point across rather quickly. So either your candy ass player can accept that he's gonna get roughed up for lining people up or he can learn that his actions have direct and sometimes very painful results.

I felt this way about Kronwall, he knew what was gonna happen post hit, he accepted it, it was his choice. He could have dropped the gloves, he could dodge fights, doesn't matter, he knew part of that hitting pattern was gonna be someone coming after him.
Unpopular opinion but violence has probably been the most effective problem solver throughout history.:D

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
These things nowadays are too reminiscent of baseball mound "charges" where nothing actually happens. Bertuzzi clearly wasn't even mad about it, since he and Krebs separated by themselves without an official even between the two of them. Nothing about what happened is going to "teach" Krebs to not do that again, not that it should, since there was nothing wrong with what he did.

It's just a purely pointless stoppage in play.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Train the officials to handle these situations consistently. The instigator team is on the PK. Allow the players to fight after heavy clean hits still. Part of the game. But handle the penalties correctly.
I agree with you about the officials using the instigator properly and consistently.

But I don’t like the fights after obviously clean hits.

Not everyone is a fighter in the nhl. Why should a guy who doled out a good clean hit have to fight?

Because it hurt the other teams feelings?

If it’s a clean hit on a teams star player…sure…be angry. But the anger should be at the star and the guy that cleanly hit the star.

And the response to the anger should be doled out after thinking and knowing. Not gut reaction like a little kid

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
People need to admit the truth to themselves on this. And that is that almost all fans LOVE these types of reactions when it’s their player taking the hit, but voice displeasure when it’s their guy who laid the hit and gets jumped.

This idea that the league “needs to stop this”. They penalize for it presently. What else do you suggest? If guys want to put their team on the PK, that’s their decision.

It’s probably the most overhyped “problem” I hear about.
The league doesn’t have to stop this. They should tell the officials to e force the instigator minor.

But another suggestion to stop jumping guys for clean hits is simple.

Fighter on your team goes to the other team and lets them know to keep their heads up. Especially the superstar.

Jumping a 3rd liner after he lays a clean hit on your superstar changes nothing.

Letting the 3rd liners captain/superstar know that he’s a target will discourage the 3rd liner.

Especially when the superstar is pissed at his 3rd liner lol

Agreed...I enjoy tough physical hockey...I get a good chuckle with these posts about how bad it looks for the game, et, etc...

From a players pov on the ice - things happen so fast - chances are he's thinking someone took a run at my teammate...I'd MUCH rather have a guy standing up for a fallen comrade rather than 4 guys looking at the ref with arms raised as an act of displeasure.
Like somebody said earlier…that’s the current approach by too many people these days.

Assume the worst, claim the victim card and act without thinking.

I’d prefer a teammate that knew what he was doing based on his brain…not his gut or “feelings”

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Want to line players up? Expect someone is gonna try to clean your clock too. It's part of the game. It's why fighting is a 5 min penalty and not a game ejection/suspension.

This pansy ass view people have with thinking there shouldn't be consequences is a MAJOR problem in todays society, from online trolling to general disrespect everywhere.
this guy's going to complain about woke hockey before the day is through, book it.

consequences to what? a legal hit? you can hide behind faux masculinity all you want (for reasons only you know) but these kinds of plays do nothing but slow the game down. nothing is accomplished.

your solution to this problem is that players should stop throwing legal hits. you're driving, you're about to change lanes so you put your turn signal on. the guy who has been behind you speeds up because you're exiting his lane and smashes into the rear of your car, then says "it's your fault for using a turn signal!" what an absolute fountain of stupidity.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

While violence doesn't generally solve problems, it does get a point across rather quickly. So either your candy ass player can accept that he's gonna get roughed up for lining people up or he can learn that his actions have direct and sometimes very painful results.

I felt this way about Kronwall, he knew what was gonna happen post hit, he accepted it, it was his choice. He could have dropped the gloves, he could dodge fights, doesn't matter, he knew part of that hitting pattern was gonna be someone coming after him.

I agree with you other than the nauseatingly grandiose and arrogant commentary on how somehow this silly issue is a reflection of a “pansy ass society”.

It’s amusing how we all learn about the stereotypical old man barking at clouds and yet so many can’t resist the urge to become exactly that with age. It’s a disagreement on how to deal with a part of hockey. Pretty sure society is still out here proving its “toughness” with murders and random bouts of violence for minor offenses, don’t you worry.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Do you not have eyes? Check the video, check their gloves. That turned into a 2v1 fight.
No, I'm not blind. I'm referencing Bertuzzi. He didn't throw a single punch. He grabbed a guy, then they both kind of fell down, no punches were thrown.

It was a scuffle. If you think someone should be suspended in here, that's completely hilarious to me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Except it hasn't always been that way. I don't know why you're making this about some larger societal rant. I'm talking about hockey.

Hitting is a legal part of the game. Guys used to take a number and hit them back later in the game. If you don't like good hard hits, maybe hockey isn't the sport for you.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Same , it's still hockey right? Expect a punch in the face after every whistle , especially if you blow somebody up , legal or not.
This can be said the other way around.

It is hockey, expect big hit and do not make big deals about them (in the very violent past they did not when they were clean and clean was much larger than now)

Look at a Robinson, Lindros, Stevens, Blake, Kronwall best hit montage, it was not automatic as the video quality get better it start to be. And this tendency could reduce big hits and overall physically, if you like it, not necessarily a good thing.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nothing new here, always been guys who did this type of reaction, some would fight on the spot others would go after a big hit bad. Personally don’t care either way

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed...I enjoy tough physical hockey...I get a good chuckle with these posts about how bad it looks for the game, et, etc...

From a players pov on the ice - things happen so fast - chances are he's thinking someone took a run at my teammate...I'd MUCH rather have a guy standing up for a fallen comrade rather than 4 guys looking at the ref with arms raised as an act of displeasure.
Is anyone really saying it's a bad look for the game? It's not a fallen comrade. He didn't get shot in war. He got hit with a legal bodycheck.

I'm saying hard hits are legal. When players jump a guy after a clean hard hit it stops the play and is an attempt at discouraging players from throwing hits. Back when guys used to take a number, a big hit usually escalated the physicality of the game overall and lead to more big hits, which was more exciting hockey than watching one guy throw a good hit, then get jumped, a scrum ensues, then it's back to normal hockey.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
this guy's going to complain about woke hockey before the day is through, book it.

consequences to what? a legal hit? you can hide behind faux masculinity all you want (for reasons only you know) but these kinds of plays do nothing but slow the game down. nothing is accomplished.

your solution to this problem is that players should stop throwing legal hits. you're driving, you're about to change lanes so you put your turn signal on. the guy who has been behind you speeds up because you're exiting his lane and smashes into the rear of your car, then says "it's your fault for using a turn signal!" what an absolute fountain of stupidity.
My solution is let the players play, if you want to take legal runs at people which can result in injury accept that you're gonna risk getting pummeled for risking someone else health.

Your analogy is asinine at best and your parents should be embarrassed for letting you online with that ridiculousness.

Hockey is fine, the fanbase needs to stfu about stupid shit though.

I agree with you other than the nauseatingly grandiose and arrogant commentary on how somehow this silly issue is a reflection of a “pansy ass society”.

It’s amusing how we all learn about the stereotypical old man barking at clouds and yet so many can’t resist the urge to become exactly that with age. It’s a disagreement on how to deal with a part of hockey. Pretty sure society is still out here proving its “toughness” with murders and random bouts of violence for minor offenses, don’t you worry.
I empathize with the old man barking at idiots. Too many people now a days seem to be missing some key lessons in manners and behavior.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
Except it hasn't always been that way. I don't know why you're making this about some larger societal rant. I'm talking about hockey.

Hitting is a legal part of the game. Guys used to take a number and hit them back later in the game. If you don't like good hard hits, maybe hockey isn't the sport for you.
I've been watching hockey since the 70s, it is literally one of the few consistent behaviors that has existed.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
Is anyone really saying it's a bad look for the game? It's not a fallen comrade. He didn't get shot in war. He got hit with a legal bodycheck.

I'm saying hard hits are legal. When players jump a guy after a clean hard hit it stops the play and is an attempt at discouraging players from throwing hits. Back when guys used to take a number, a big hit usually escalated the physicality of the game overall and lead to more big hits, which was more exciting hockey than watching one guy throw a good hit, then get jumped, a scrum ensues, then it's back to normal hockey.
Hits risk injury, take that liberty with in the rules or outside of it and expect that liberty to be taken with you.

You're bs narrative you're trying to spin with the take a number crap is not how it's been. Line brawls, bench clearing etc all occurred in situations where hits were thrown legally and illegally.

Stop trying to spin and just own your ignorance. No one will think less of you.

Reactions: FMichael

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
"Keep your head up."

When the game was more physical that was the advice. Not "don't hit unless you want to fight"

And just like back then, fights jump off after hits, whether it was legal or not. People are literally crying over how the game has been played for ages.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I feel like this is a down stream effect of
A- chequing being moved later in minor hockey
B- greater understanding of concussions (rightfully) moving the line on what is a dirty/clean hit.

Everyone used to be in the thick of it from the time they were ten years old, and the line between what was clean and not was pretty clear. If it wasn't obviously late, from behind, leading with an elbow, or a stick- clean. Now- a little too high? Primary point of contact? The lines are blurred.

And just like back then, fights jump off after hits, whether it was legal or not. People are literally crying over how the game has been played for ages.
If there was a scrum like that or fight after every hit prior to ~2010 games would have lasted for 5 hours.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I largely agree with you.

Except the guy who laid the perfectly clean hit ended up in the penalty box, so I guess I'll quibble with that aspect. He basically got jumped. What was he supposed to do - just get punched in the face and do nothing about it?

Sabres still wound up with powerplay.

You don't hear about guys taking swaps at others in front of net for no reason .. yet the league needs to do something about this? .. OP overreacting big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad