The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s actually reasonable to expect fights after big clean hits. Clean hits can still result in injuries so you still want to deter it. Often the fight initiator might be fringe guy looking to get noticed and make an impression on his teammates. Again, reasonable to expect someone to do whatever they can to stay in the lineup. Their career earnings are on the line.

A lot of the time, though, the player that got hit is clearly fine but his teammate still steps in to fight. Often that player didn’t even see the hit, just the aftermath. I recall an example last season where they even fought the wrong guy.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It is just dumb. If hitting is part of the game, why do the players freak out whenever they get hit cleanly? The NHL needs to just get rid of fighting already. If the refs actually called things appropriately, there would be no need for teams to take matters into their own hands. Of course, we can't rely on the officials to actually do their jobs.
Because they should. Anyone who throws a hard hit should be attacked. Who gives a damn whether it's clean. It could still result in an injury. Now if there is retaliation after a clean hit the retaliator should always get an extra 2 minutes. If it was a dirty hit regardless of what happens afterwards the team that made the dirty hit should always always be on the pk afterwards.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think it’s actually reasonable to expect fights after big clean hits. Clean hits can still result in injuries so you still want to deter it. Often the fight initiator might be fringe guy looking to get noticed and make an impression on his teammates. Again, reasonable to expect someone to do whatever they can to stay in the lineup. Their career earnings are on the line.
d.
A lot of the time, though, the player that got hit is clearly fine but his teammate still steps in to fight. Often that player didn’t even see the hit, just the aftermath. I recall an example last season where they even fought the wrong guy.
Agreed.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
Context is important. They played 55 minutes prior to this and I have no idea what the vibe was during the game. This could very well be the tipping point.

Regardless, I have no problem with the response by Bertuzzi. I’m sure Chicago fans would prefer this over guys getting wrecked while their teammates sit and stare.
Especially since Bertuzzi is the one who served him the hospital pass

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Two minutes is unfortunately nothing and the penalty is called incredibly inconsistently. They should make the instigator a double minor and actually call it, and this wouldn't be a problem for long.
I think it also comes with a ten minute misconduct, but I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It was a dog pile. There weren’t even any fights. Bunch of “pretend” tough guys on both sides.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
1. There was no physicality to the game anywhere prior to this clean hockey play. It wasn’t a tipping point for shit.

2. “Response by Bertuzzi”. Response for what? Seriously? A guy get jumped for a picture perfect clean play and you have no problem with that being both stupid and soft? That’s a you problem

I didn’t think the hit was anything special, and I don’t think Bertuzzi bear hugging a guy is all that absurd either.

I like fighting in hockey. I wish there was more of it. So i am biased in favor of more pricks on the ice. That’s just my take.

Calm down

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Except the players dont get the benefit of a replay or seeing the hit from off the ice. NHL just needs to do a better job at protecting players from each other.
This does not make sense. Players did not see replays in the past either. The sane reaction should always be that the check was clean and not assume otherwise.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Yeah I’m getting tired of it. Was thinking the same as everyone else watching this last night on delay.

I found it a little embarrassing as a hawks fan. Maybe that’s not exactly what I mean but I felt like rolling my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Why? We don’t like fights suddenly? The league has always been like this. It’s not some new revelation. When your team mate takes a violent hit you defend him. Makes guys think twice about crushing your team mates. It used to only be Montreal Canadien fans that preach this. Now Americans are preaching it? Hockey teams used to employ fighters just so Americans would watch the sport.
It wasn't always like this. It was only like this if the player on the receiving end was an 'untouchable' super star player. Otherwise, after a hard clean hit, players would, as mentioned above, take a name and wait for the right time to get revenge. It's only in the last 20 years that players have begun being expected to fight for every legitimate hit.

Go watch any rock em sock em from the 80s and 90s and see how many times someone delivering a viciously hard hit has to fight immediately after.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is a non problem. Many players on ice are going to have diffficulty knowing if it was clean or not. Better to jump for your teammate rather than stand around and wait to find out

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Crow

May 19, 2014
This is a non problem. Many players on ice are going to have diffficulty knowing if it was clean or not. Better to jump for your teammate rather than stand around and wait to find out
What’s wrong with waiting a shift to make sure instead of acting blindly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad