The NHL asked... should Roman Josi be in the HOF ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
He'd be on the outside looking in of my HoF.

But the Hockey HoF is basically just a participation trophy for the NHL at this point, so he'll probably make it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
On top of my head, should he miss, and should the other obvious active candidates likes Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman are getting in, he'd be the best D-Men not in the Hall.
Karlsson and Hedman should and will get in. Doughty I personally would be iffy on, but his international play and cups will likely seal it.

Look, I don't think it's crazy, considering others in there, like Weber for example. I just would prefer the standards be a bit higher.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Idk man you tell me, assuming you’re a Preds fan. Has Josi really been a better defenseman than Weber? You would know better than me so I’m not going to argue with Preds fans here but from what I’ve seen I think scoring is up and OFD are getting overly rewarded in Norris voting the last 8 or so years.

Weber always seemed like far and away the better defenseman overall. The guy could very easily have 2 Norris trophies to his name and was a prototype defenseman for a decade or so. Josi is a great asset but he’s not quite the same player if you know what I mean. Not just physically, but overall impact and recognition.
Two completely different defensemen, both can be and are HHOF worthy.
Mark Streit says hi.
909 GP 686 points vs 786 GP and 434 Points; 181 vs 96 goals.
Yah. Based on that any player who won an award is qualified for the HOF.
Except nearly every Norris winner is in the Hall, plus Josi has two seasons better than his Norris winning season and if he hadn't been totally left out of one reporters top 5 he would have two Norrises.

He'd be on the outside looking in of my HoF.

But the Hockey HoF is basically just a participation trophy for the NHL at this point, so he'll probably make it.
What are your arguments against?
Karlsson and Hedman should and will get in. Doughty I personally would be iffy on, but his international play and cups will likely seal it.

Look, I don't think it's crazy, considering others in there, like Weber for example. I just would prefer the standards be a bit higher.
Why shouldn't Weber be in?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I mean, I can totally accept someone claiming that the HHOF should be smaller, and thus Josi shouldn't be making it. However, that person :

- Is making the HHOF something it never was, or is imposing stricter requirements on D-Men
- Is inadvertently making the case that Scott Niedermayer probably shouldn't be in the HHOF either.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Two completely different defensemen, both can be and are HHOF worthy.

909 GP 686 points vs 786 GP and 434 Points; 181 vs 96 goals.

Except nearly every Norris winner is in the Hall, plus Josi has two seasons better than his Norris winning season and if he hadn't been totally left out of one reporters top 5 he would have two Norrises.

What are your arguments against?

Why shouldn't Weber be in?
I've said it many times before in other threads. I really never saw Weber as a particularly special d-man. Even on the Habs, I was consistently underwhelmed.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What is the HOF at this point? I thought it was supposed to be all time greats? But it just seems like it’s for really good players and super stars. Is the hardware the most important? If so, what do you guys look for in hardware for HOF?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I've said it many times before in other threads. I really never saw Weber as a particularly special d-man. Even on the Habs, I was consistently underwhelmed.
I mean, when he was on the Habs he was past his prime, though he still garnered his last top 10 Norris placement.

A lot of people didn't watch him during his prime years in Nashville.

Reactions: cptjeff

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I guess my answer is that personally I wouldn't select him, but I don't think inducting him would be egregious by any means. There are worse players than him in already.

IMO he's better than Shea Weber, who I don't think is a Hall of Famer but somehow got in. I would put both of them in the Hall of Very Good.

The current selection committee has made it really difficult to figure out what is/isn't important with their seemingly random criteria and increasingly puzzling inductions.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Excluding ineligible players, the only Norris winner not in the Hall is Carlyle, and Josi has 2 more All Stars and more points in less games. He may not be first ballot but he’s probably getting in

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If he retired today, better odds than not he gets in.

Gotta judge a player on how he does in his era.

Taking away the fact his award numbers scream he's getting in, since he entered the league he ranks 2nd for goals and 3rd in points for dmen while being an all situations workhorse and good defensively.

How the hell can you leave him out?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean, when he was on the Habs he was past his prime, though he still garnered his last top 10 Norris placement.

A lot of people didn't watch him during his prime years in Nashville.
Oh I definitely followed Weber back then too! I know you're a fan, I'm just personally not.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Anyone else find it odd that the league's official twitter account is asking fans to grade the career of a player who's still active? :laugh:

Also, seeing as how he's the all-time leader amongst Swiss-born NHLers I'd say he's got a pretty good shot.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He's the best player ever from his country and has a Norris. Why wouldn't he be in?

Looking at the list, I think he will finish top 20 all time in D scoring

Reactions: SwissFan12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad