The Next Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean if we had a good idea who the next Forsling was, he wouldn’t be the next Forsling lol.

I’d probably take a wild stab at Oliver Kylington. Like Forsling, he's a gorgeous skating Swede, similar average build...and as a prospect anyways, Kylington was known for his hockey sense and two-way IQ, which Forsling has in spades.

Kylington obviously has some hurdles to overcome but being in that Colorado system seems like a perfect short-term marriage to see if he's got something left to unlock. And Kylington had a really, really good 2021-22 season with the Flames before things just fell apart. So I think there could be something there if he's mentally in a good space to play NHL hockey.

To my, stylistically, he's a much better fit for this equation than fellow Swede Boqvist.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I mean if we had a good idea who the next Forsling was, he wouldn’t be the next Forsling lol.

I’d probably take a wild stab at Oliver Kylington. Like Forsling, he's a gorgeous skating Swede, similar average build...and as a prospect anyways, Kylington was known for his hockey sense and two-way IQ, which Forsling has in spades.

Kylington obviously has some hurdles to overcome but being in that Colorado system seems like a perfect short-term marriage to see if he's got something left to unlock. And Kylington had a really, really good 2021-22 season with the Flames before things just fell apart. So I think there could be something there if he's mentally in a good space to play NHL hockey.

To my, stylistically, he's a much better fit for this equation than fellow Swede Boqvist.
OK, I love Kylington. But he dropped his draft year because he was a one way offensive defenseman whom we were not sure could become an NHL dman.

He wasn't known for his two way IQ in any capacity. He's grown into that

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
OK, I love Kylington. But he dropped his draft year because he was a one way offensive defenseman whom we were not sure could become an NHL dman.

He wasn't known for his two way IQ in any capacity. He's grown into that

These are all separate scouting reports from 2015. Plenty of folks saw the foundations of a two-way player even if he was rough around the edges as 17 year defenders are want to be. If anything, scouts were fading his offensive upside by the time the draft rolled around, considering when he was younger there were talks of an EK-esque defender.

“While an injury unfortunatately kept Kylington out of the World Juniors, he has played for Sweden at the Ivan Hlinka tournament where he was very impressive. An outstanding two-way defenceman, Kylington is a strong skater who can rush the puck and get back into position defensively. He has an excellent stride, which gives him great speed and acceleration in both directions. Excellent agility, edge work, and pivots give him the mobility to cover all areas of the ice. Kylington shows good passing skills and excellent vision. Defensively his game relies on strong positioning, and a quick stick to take the puck off opponents and start the transition game.“

“ “Exceptionally poised, mature, two-way defenseman…”

“ You shouldn’t look past Kylington’s defensive game either. His skating allows him to get back into the play if he gets caught out of position, however, he rarely ever does. Kylington’s gap control on the backend is what has him ranked highly across the board. The only concerning part about him is that he’s relatively skinny and gets knocked around easily.”

“ A smart two-way defenseman, who has tremendous feeling for the game and reads the plays well. ”

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Lol yeah such a defensively sound d structure that they missed the playoffs while the Oilers went to game seven. How stupid did this post sound in your head when you came up with it?
😂 Oilers defense is terribad, except for Ekholm, who's not getting younger. They went to the finals because McDrai, Hyman. Not because of their defense.

Reactions: Laus723

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
These are all separate scouting reports from 2015. Plenty of folks saw the foundations of a two-way player even if he was rough around the edges as 17 year defenders are want to be. If anything, scouts were fading his offensive upside by the time the draft rolled around, considering when he was younger there were talks of an EK-esque defender.

“While an injury unfortunatately kept Kylington out of the World Juniors, he has played for Sweden at the Ivan Hlinka tournament where he was very impressive. An outstanding two-way defenceman, Kylington is a strong skater who can rush the puck and get back into position defensively. He has an excellent stride, which gives him great speed and acceleration in both directions. Excellent agility, edge work, and pivots give him the mobility to cover all areas of the ice. Kylington shows good passing skills and excellent vision. Defensively his game relies on strong positioning, and a quick stick to take the puck off opponents and start the transition game.“

“ “Exceptionally poised, mature, two-way defenseman…”

“ You shouldn’t look past Kylington’s defensive game either. His skating allows him to get back into the play if he gets caught out of position, however, he rarely ever does. Kylington’s gap control on the backend is what has him ranked highly across the board. The only concerning part about him is that he’s relatively skinny and gets knocked around easily.”

“ A smart two-way defenseman, who has tremendous feeling for the game and reads the plays well. ”
You can post all the scouting reports you like. I can probably post 10x more with alarming concern to his positioning and weakness on the puck.

He was originally thought of as a top 5-10 pick in Mcdavid/Eichel's year, then his value dropped bad his draft season. He was often ranked somewhere between 20-35. The overwhelming theme Was his not good defensive play and He ended up dropping to 60

Personally I wanted the Sharks to take a chance on him or Jeremy Roy. I love Kylington's skating(close to league best). And they traded traded up for Jeremy Roy instead, which was a huge blunder in retrospect.
But Kylington is 27 going on 28 years old and hasn't ever given any sign he will become more than a top 4, 2nd PP guy.

If he were a younger RHD I would still want the sharks to give him a try. But we have a logjam on LHD. He is so smooth on skates on the attack.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
😂 Oilers defense is terribad, except for Ekholm, who's not getting younger. They went to the finals because McDrai, Hyman. Not because of their defense.
If the Oilers defense and goaltending was so bad last year, why were they near the top of the league in every defensive metric out there after their coaching change? Bouchard just finished near the top in Norris voting, Ekholm as you mentioned, is a stud, Kulak has been an anchor on one of the best 3rd pair's in the league. It was only the Nurse-Ceci pairing that ever gave us much to worry about, and that's getting a 50% makeover.

On topic, I'm hoping the answer to this question is Ty Emberson, ha ha.

Reactions: MessierII
Feb 19, 2018
Tom Willander is my prediction for the next Forsling. His defensive play with a growing offensive game makes me think he is the perfect candidate to play a very similar style.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tom Willander is my prediction for the next Forsling. His defensive play with a growing offensive game makes me think he is the perfect candidate to play a very similar style.
Not exactly the same situation unless Tom were to go through a couple of other NHL teams.

Forsling was dealt from Van to Chi as a teen. Played parts of 3 seasons with Chicago with time in the AHL each season, to close to a 55/45 split or something. Dealt to Car after his elc as part of the DeHaan trade. Waived by Car and spent the entire year in the A. Waived by Car again the following season but claimed by Fla.

Looking at someone who hasn't on their current team shown much at the NHL level. Maybe a change of scenery can get them going.

Again, situations do matter for most players. Can be the difference between no or a marginal NHL career and a good career where you end up earning $30 mill plus.

Reactions: Bubbles

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Zac Jones will turn out to be a pretty good player if he is given an opportunity.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Marginal depth player?

Gustav Forsling just improved over time pretty consistently. He joined Panthers when he was, what, 24? And had a steady trajectory.

So whoever ends up being what you described, it won't be the next Forsling.
you think Forsling is a marginal depth player?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Sharangovich popped off for Calgary last year and probably will build off it

Zetterlund might be next to do well in San Jose

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Jalen Chatfield and Nick Perbix are probably ready for their coming-out party this year after making good in top four roles last season, but I'm looking for Gustav Lindstrom and Ty Emberson to really surprise if they get an opportunity. Emberson may even get a look next to Darnell Nurse for an extended period in camp if Broberg ends up a Blue and no other trades materialize before then.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
you think Forsling is a marginal depth player?

He’s taking issue with the OP using the term in reference to someone mimicking Forsling’s rise. Though I don’t see the issue. He was a marginal depth player until he got to Florida.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Jesper Boqvist is the future

Someone who shoots free out of vegas could be that guy.

Maybe Miromanev
Flames fan here who has been beating the Miromanov drum this offseason on the Calgary boards. While coming back from a season and a half of hockey lost to an ACL injury, and with a previous 25 games of NHL experience to his name, he stepped in to Calgary and played 20 minutes a night without looking at all out of place. His AHL numbers the last 3 years are stellar (64 points in 89 games), and him converting to defense from forward in his 20s probably gives him a longer laneway for improvement.

This season he will be coming in healthy with a full training camp, practically guaranteed a top 3 role on Calgary’s poor blue line, and Calgary has a strong history with developing and turning around the careers of defenseman.

Not saying he’s a guaranteed gem, but if you’re looking for a guy who could come out of nowhere to be a household name he’s a strong candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad