OT: The Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I liked Predators but man did The Predator suck ass.
Was okay but not on the level of 1 or 2 imo. A fun R Rod film and I did like the setting.
But yeah, for a guy who acted in the original Shane Black should have known better. He even had an *okay* cast to work with, but the story and direction were just bleh.

This one looks intriguing and really like a departure, so I have hope. No miniguns or one-liners to anchor it to but at the very least the cinematography should be sweet.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Among other societal reasons I don't feel like getting into, I just can't get behind Joker's brilliance due it being such an obvious rip off of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

Reactions: TCTC and Magua

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I could only watch that movie one time. Tried again and it made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reason.

Not that you don't realize it, but then the movie seems successful in what it's trying to do. A lot of the commentary the movie makes is on societal inequalities, realities of mental health and how it's treated, political violence from the disenfranchised, and the power of kindness as well as where it's needed in society. Stuff people would rather forget or not think about due to them being issues larger than any person and how existential and bleak they can be.
Among other societal reasons I don't feel like getting into, I just can't get behind Joker's brilliance due it being such an obvious rip off of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

I've never seen either (been meaning to see the former for a long time, just never got around to it). I will say two things to that though.

1) It's 2022, nothing is really original anymore. Everything has been done before or is based on something else done before or is inspired by something done before. Even when we don't realize it. You go far back enough every piece of media has something it resembles probably. I get it doesn't help with your personal connection you see in this instance, but I feel like pieces of media resembling each other is something people have to get past in this day and age.

Rip off seems pretty harsh and unfair too. Haven't seen those movies though so I can't really comment beyond that.

2) Both those movies were done a long time ago. Like, over 40 years ago. Which means anyone not in the middle stages of their life has most likely not seen either. I feel like 40 years is a pretty good amount of time to produce a "rip off" and give a generation their own Taxi Driver. If that's how you see the movie.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not that you don't realize it, but then the movie seems successful in what it's trying to do. A lot of the commentary the movie makes is on societal inequalities, realities of mental health and how it's treated, political violence from the disenfranchised, and the power of kindness as well as where it's needed in society. Stuff people would rather forget or not think about due to them being issues larger than any person and how existential and bleak they can be.

I've never seen either (been meaning to see the former for a long time, just never got around to it). I will say two things to that though.

1) It's 2022, nothing is really original anymore. Everything has been done before or is based on something else done before or is inspired by something done before. Even when we don't realize it. You go far back enough every piece of media has something it resembles probably. I get it doesn't help with your personal connection you see in this instance, but I feel like pieces of media resembling each other is something people have to get past in this day and age.

Rip off seems pretty harsh and unfair too. Haven't seen those movies though so I can't really comment beyond that.

2) Both those movies were done a long time ago. Like, over 40 years ago. Which means anyone not in the middle stages of their life has most likely not seen either. I feel like 40 years is a pretty good amount of time to produce a "rip off" and give a generation their own Taxi Driver. If that's how you see the movie.

Its just not that good..to put it kindly

Reactions: TCTC

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Its just not that good..to put it kindly
I mean, you can feel that way. On RT the critic score is 60 something percent and fresh and the audience score is 88% and it's one of the highest grossing R rated movies ever.

To each their own, it's all subjective. You're really stating this like it's a fact though when all signs would point to it being a minority opinion. I've definitely heard the opinion of it being overrated a lot, which I can agree with to some extent.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Phillips also said that the movie was essentially an homage to those two films. Martin Scorsese was also a producer originally on the movie.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If I didn't send this before, but man I want to go to these:

June 19th and 22nd.

Sept 4th, 5th and 8th.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I got today’s Framed in 2. If someone gets it in 1, then I would be astonished. I just watched this movie 4-5 months ago. Do recommend, if you haven’t seen it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
One of the most overrated movies in recent memory, imo. But I'm tired of the Batman franchise in general. Haven't even watched the new Pattinson version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad