The Matt Cooke Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Cooke is going to be missed a lot more than people think. He has become a top pk guy for us and very physical yet clean now. Our hitting game is going to suffer to a point without him in there. Pretty good contract on him to, I'm surprised Shero didnt re-sign him. Must have something else in mind for the 3rd line. Not sure what though, because Cooke always works his ass off and an extra 2.4 mil woulda still left us in an okay spot going into the summer. Just woulda shown everyone we needed to make a trade instead of assuming it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
ept_sports_nhl_experts-522832848-1296229582_zps99b7b2fe.jpg

That's amazing! :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wild fan here.

Hate Cooke but trying to get a pulse on him as a player.

At even strength, what kind of line is he on? Third or fourth? Was he usually put on a shutdown checking line or did you not use one? I saw his Corsi was usually positive but near the bottom for Pittsburgh. Does he have any offensive skills? How is he at even strength? Asset, liability, or neutral? If he has cleaned up his act, is he any kind of threat or deterrent still?

Just trying to wrap my head around it. Easily the worst day I've had as a wild fan...

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Also rooting for Pens out East, my favorite team out there.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Wild fan here.

At even strength, what kind of line is he on? Third or fourth? Was he usually put on a shutdown checking line or did you not use one? I saw his Corsi was usually positive but near the bottom for Pittsburgh. Does he have any offensive skills? How is he at even strength? Asset, liability, or neutral? If he has cleaned up his act, is he any kind of threat or deterrent still?

Just trying to wrap my head around it. Easily the worst day I've had as a wild fan...

He's an elite penalty killer; probably as good or better than anyone for the last 5 years in Pittsburgh. He plays good two way hockey and cycles the puck well. He'll chip in 12-18 goals from the third line. He's not a threat or a deterrent at all physically. If anything he's too far reformed.

He was almost always the LW on any shutdown line or last 30 seconds to hold a lead line.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Thanks, guess I'm not concerned about PK more about 5 on 5 play.

i think he's slipped a tad bit at even-strength (but he's still ranges from above-average to excellent) since the glory days of Cooke-Staal-Kennedy but he brings enough forechecking, defensive responsibility and offensive acumen to hang with the likes of Malkin/Crosby for small stretches (like a game or three). Cooke-Crosby-Kennedy was a line for a few games when Crosby came back from his concussion last year. Cooke-Malkin-Neal were together for a bit towards the end of the regular season.

he can pinch in at 2LW (that'd be Zucker, right?) for an amount of time that ranges from a few shifts to a handful of games if there's an injury or Yeo wants a shake-up, or something like that. he can also play RW but he isn't as effective there.

he's a versatile player who consistently works hard.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Every time I think about him going to Minny I get a little emotional. Since he was such a polarizing figure and I loved the way he changed his game... this hurts.

The one consolation is that Minnesota is the West team I really like due to spending time in the summer there every year since I was a kid (on my way back from Leech Lake right now).

Good luck to Matt, kick some West ass.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Wild fan here.

He was almost exclusively on the third line in Pittsburgh and occasionally would play with Malkin if there were no better options. He is quite underrated offensively and while he isn't a huge difference maker, he is an above average skater, can hold the puck better than your average bottom 6er, and has a very accurate wrist shot if given space.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
So long Cookester, thanks for everything both on and off the ice. You might be worse than Hitler to some people but there's no doubt you've changed your ways. Best of luck to you. I'll always remember the boss goal you scored this year in the playoffs.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Cooke has asked permission from Boogard's family to wear the #24. Said he'll only wear it if he gets permission.

Classy move by Cooke. :clap:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I love Cooke. Great guy. Too bad the league is hellbent on hating him for what he's done in the past.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks, guess I'm not concerned about PK more about 5 on 5 play.

the consensus was that he was our best forward in the Bruins series and consistently very very good throughout the playoffs 5-5, 4 on 5 or whatever. We will miss him and our 3-rd line will be worse for that. he was never used consistently as a screen on PP, I always thought that he would be way better than Kunitz, I think Yeo may know a thing or two about him, so don't be surprised to see him on the PP.

You've got yourself a deal.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I love Cooke. Great guy. Too bad the league is hellbent on hating him for what he's done in the past.
Even at his worst its not like he's the dirtiest player ever. I fully understand why he's hated but I don't understand why he's so singled out.

Messier and Howe were far and away dirtier than Cooke but they get praised for their elbows. Don Cherry even has clip of great elbows on one of his rock em sock em video's but god forbid Cooke throw one.

I just don't get it. Maybe there's something more behind the scenes.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
He was a solid pk player and contributed offensively at some key moments.

But he came with a very bad rep and that kind of negative press isn't good when you have players that are injured and everyone points at karma rearing its ugly head. I'll miss seeing him piss off so many fans, but I won't miss the negativity of him being in a Pens uniform because of his past.

He has reformed though, so the Wild are getting a quality bottom 6 guy and pk beast.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He was a solid pk player and contributed offensively at some key moments.

But he came with a very bad rep and that kind of negative press isn't good when you have players that are injured and everyone points at karma rearing its ugly head. I'll miss seeing him piss off so many fans, but I won't miss the negativity of him being in a Pens uniform because of his past.

He has reformed though, so the Wild are getting a quality bottom 6 guy and pk beast.
The Pens will just be hated for another reason. Next the Pens will be hated for having two many players with double letter names... and yes Bobby Bortuzzo will count.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The Pens will just be hated for another reason. Next the Pens will be hated for having two many players with double letter names... and yes Bobby Bortuzzo will count.

Exactly. Personally I embrace the hate. I wish we had another Cup to add to '09 so I can go into full troll mode, but the hate mostly begins and ends with the irrational Sid hate, and everything else is just an added bonus for the mouth breathers.

I can name more than a dozen players who are just as bad as Cooke if not worse who are revered in hockey circles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad