The Legend of Jagr grows...Incredible story

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why would he keep playing with weights on his ankles? That makes no sense.

Also, has anyone got the story as to why he was in the 87 Canada Cup jerseys?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Jagr is the man. I wish I appreciated him more in the 90s, after reading how he conditioned himself in the off-season later in his career I developed some serious appreciation for him. I think he rubbed off on Chara when he was with the Bruins too. Z is running marathons in his mid-40s and putting up respectable times to boot

That's gross, but it probably helped with this wrist strength.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Man that show was so good for awhile. Both those characters- A+.

Why would he keep playing with weights on his ankles? That makes no sense.

Also, has anyone got the story as to why he was in the 87 Canada Cup jerseys?

Ya, idk if this story is bs, if Jagr was pranking people, or if he’s just a crazy person, but there’s no way that benefits him. Like- increased glide speed? Stability? The f*** are we going for?

Jagr is the man, I just don’t get this one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Ya, idk if this story is bs, if Jagr was pranking people, or if he’s just a crazy person, but there’s no way that benefits him. Like- increased glide speed? Stability? The f*** are we going for?

Probably just to prove Marek is a dweeb and will get carried away telling stories.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

His last year in FL he looked like he may have had weights on,
but, I don’t really buy him wearing weights during games. By the time he arrived in Florida he was already “too slow”.
Idk, I don’t see him doing it during a game, maybe just a one time thing. His whole reason for training that way was to be better in the games.

Reactions: luiginb

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Jason Demers confirmed a story/myth today on the Marek show.

Demers said that when he played with Jagr in Florida in 2016, Jagr wanted to challenge his workouts more during training camp. So Jagr got ankle weights and strapped them on himself to add resistance during drills, workouts and skates.

Apparently, Jagr felt so good during training camp and pre-season that he decided to keep the ankle weights on during regular season games.

Demers says that Jagr played with ankle weights on for at least 50 regular season games that year.

Jagr was 44 in 2016, played all 82 games and scored 16 goals.

Legend.
I know he puts various weights on his body during training and that's been known for years.

But during actual NHL games, much less 50+? Idk man, thats hard to believe he'd do something that could affect his on ice play. In 2016-17 his play wasn't nearly as good as the previous yea and he was noticeably slower. He even started going down the lineup. I understand that doesn't necessarily help my case but if there's any impression of Jagr I've gotten during his twilight years, it's that he still wants to be a top contributor playing 1st line minutes.

Last edited:

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Gretzky-Lemieux had all distorted our expectation at the time.
I feel like early on a lot of people treated him like the Pippen to Lemieux's Jordan where the reality was he was much closer to the Jordan level. But winning a bunch of Art Ross trophies started to change that.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
The saddest part, I don't think enough people truly appreciated Jagr's greatness during his prime. Those late 90's seasons with the Penguins were epic performances and yet, people had the gall to compare him to guys like Sakic, Forsberg, and Yzerman when at the time, he was clearly a cut above.

I'm happy to see it come full circle and for the guy to get the love and appreciation he deserves.

I'm quite sure we as a hockey community, aren't worthy of what Jagr has given us.
So many people called him soft throughout his career too, which is even crazier to me. That guy was a tank along the boards. He wasn't going to throw big open ice hits, but good luck out-muscling him in the corners.

I feel like early on a lot of people treated him like the Pippen to Lemieux's Jordan where the reality was he was much closer to the Jordan level. But winning a bunch of Art Ross trophies started to change that.
If he was with anyone but Mario or Wayne, he would have been considered to be at that Jordan level. He was just overshadowed a bit.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
If these are ankle weights like I’m picturing then shouldn’t it be really easy to find pictures of him wearing them in games? I feel like if he really did that it would have been a huge story at the time and I don’t remember ever hearing about this. Those weights are super obvious.
Yeah that's complete BS, no team would allow a player to self sabotage like that during a game. And it wouldn't be the first time Demers embellishes a story. Also, Barkov's work ethic was something he came to Florida with, and it had more to do with his dad than with Jagr.

That being said, Jagr was/is amazing.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Yeah that's complete BS, no team would allow a player to self sabotage like that during a game. And it wouldn't be the first time Demers embellishes a story. Also, Barkov's work ethic was something he came to Florida with, and it had more to do with his dad than with Jagr.

That being said, Jagr was/is amazing.
That is very true about Barkov, and without that work ethic instilled by his dad he wouldn’t have so diligently followed all the things he learned from Jagr.
It is clear that Jagr had a big influence on Barkov’s game, and his off ice training.

Reactions: luiginb

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As a Rangers fan I started to take Jagr for granted in part because he was aging. I will say I think Jagr may have got ripped off by the media in 2005-06. As great as Joe Thornton was I felt Jagr had a legit case to the Hart that season.

Reactions: Dessloch

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
As a Rangers fan I started to take Jagr for granted in part because he was aging. I will say I think Jagr may have got ripped off by the media in 2005-06. As great as Joe Thornton was I felt Jagr had a legit case to the Hart that season.
He was kind of written off and languishing in the bottom 6 in NJ, then Tallon traded for him. All of a sudden he’s playing on a line with the wonder twins and a re-energized Jagr showed he still could play. You could see the joy he had for the game, and watching the Twins’ game start to take off playing alongside him was something to see. That season from when Jagr joined through their frantic playoff push (argh, 1 point short) was so fun to watch, almost magical at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad