The Legend of Jagr grows...Incredible story

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
And players like Lafleur and Iafrate drinking coke and smoking in between periods...

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Jagr is the man. I wish I appreciated him more in the 90s, after reading how he conditioned himself in the off-season later in his career I developed some serious appreciation for him. I think he rubbed off on Chara when he was with the Bruins too. Z is running marathons in his mid-40s and putting up respectable times to boot

Reactions: egelband

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hand strength with a chick? For this?

c9ewf4bz77171.gif
I'm not here to yuck anybody's yum.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Gretzky-Lemieux had all distorted our expectation at the time.
its true. coupled with the fact that none of us (as far as i know) actually knew that goaltending and defence could alter stats so much.

to have an Art Ross winner with 127 points, at that time, for someone my age, felt like... "sooooo. he is like Pierre Turgeon?"

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Jason Demers confirmed a story/myth today on the Marek show.

Demers said that when he played with Jagr in Florida in 2016, Jagr wanted to challenge his workouts more during training camp. So Jagr got ankle weights and strapped them on himself to add resistance during drills, workouts and skates.

Apparently, Jagr felt so good during training camp and pre-season that he decided to keep the ankle weights on during regular season games.

Demers says that Jagr played with ankle weights on for at least 50 regular season games that year.

Jagr was 44 in 2016, played all 82 games and scored 16 goals.

Legend.

Demers also said that Jarg punctured a hole on the shaft of his stick so that he can connect it to a cable machine in the gym. He would then hook his stick to the cable and put the weights on something ridiculous like 150lbs. He would then pull the cables down by holding his stick as if he was puck handling and just lean on it for hours to develop hand strength on his stick.... ridiculous.
Jagr took a young Barkov and Huberdeau and showed them how to be professionals.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
44 yr old Jagr led the Panthers in scoring in 2016.

The game has changed so much

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If these are ankle weights like I’m picturing then shouldn’t it be really easy to find pictures of him wearing them in games? I feel like if he really did that it would have been a huge story at the time and I don’t remember ever hearing about this. Those weights are super obvious.

Reactions: Felidae

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m calling bullshit on that
This isn’t a new story, they talked about the ankle weights then. It’s true. I didn’t know or forgot about the regular season games (it’s not surprising) but he was always doing things like this for training. He would make sure he had access to rinks so he could train late at night or early in the morning on top of whatever the team is doing. They were talking about him being obsessive a lot when he was in his first few seasons, they couldn’t get him off the ice. He would go out on the ice in slippers pre gaming before the pre game with a stick and puck “getting used to the ice”. They would show footage of it during the games.

Reactions: Dessloch

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
The saddest part, I don't think enough people truly appreciated Jagr's greatness during his prime. Those late 90's seasons with the Penguins were epic performances and yet, people had the gall to compare him to guys like Sakic, Forsberg, and Yzerman when at the time, he was clearly a cut above.

I'm happy to see it come full circle and for the guy to get the love and appreciation he deserves.

I'm quite sure we as a hockey community, aren't worthy of what Jagr has given us.
I do think he was a great athlete, on another physical level etc... just had ALL great tools. But IMO Jagr played for Jagr....the crest on his sweater came way after!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He should have dropped the weights during regular season games after that year, would have loved to see more Jagr :(

From all I read about him, he was just obsessed with hockey. But not like any pro... his life literally is hockey. No wife, no kids (right?), trains in his free time, etc.

I wonder if some of his unorthodox training methods have been adopted by more players over the years. Seems like the young Panthers at the time did and found success

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I do think he was a great athlete, on another physical level etc... just had ALL great tools. But IMO Jagr played for Jagr....the crest on his sweater came way after!
I think if you go listen to interviews about his time in Pittsburgh, you'll see that isn't the case.

Reactions: Dessloch

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Most of the other goalies in my regular group are right catch. Y’all fascinate me!

It's a little weird. I throw right-handed so I'm used to catching a softball with my left hand (I even played catcher), but when I was trying out goaltending, it felt much more natural to hold the stick in my left hand, and felt just fine enough to catch with my right hand. It also got weird because I shoot left when I skate out, so I can barely handle the puck when I play in net.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
It's a little weird. I throw right-handed so I'm used to catching a softball with my left hand (I even played catcher), but when I was trying out goaltending, it felt much more natural to hold the stick in my left hand, and felt just fine enough to catch with my right hand. It also got weird because I shoot left when I skate out, so I can barely handle the puck when I play in net.

One of the things I like about it is that when we switch ends, they're always pulling the ice shavings to the post that I don't focus on as easily - so in the end it balances out.

Reactions: Summer Rose

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
its true. coupled with the fact that none of us (as far as i know) actually knew that goaltending and defence could alter stats so much.

to have an Art Ross winner with 127 points, at that time, for someone my age, felt like... "sooooo. he is like Pierre Turgeon?"
Not in that regard for me (scoring going down was evident enough), much more winning 5 Art Ross, still win without playing 70 games, yes that what the best player in the league do.... No it was still like before them something that almost no one will do and we had to wait until 2023 for McDavid to do it.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For a while Jagr was in the discussion of being #5 all time after the big four. He’s a living legend.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
The saddest part, I don't think enough people truly appreciated Jagr's greatness during his prime. Those late 90's seasons with the Penguins were epic performances and yet, people had the gall to compare him to guys like Sakic, Forsberg, and Yzerman when at the time, he was clearly a cut above.

I'm happy to see it come full circle and for the guy to get the love and appreciation he deserves.

I'm quite sure we as a hockey community, aren't worthy of what Jagr has given us.
Offensively -- yes. But when you factor in two-way play, they are in the same tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad