The Legend of Jagr grows...Incredible story

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Jason Demers confirmed a story/myth today on the Marek show.

Demers said that when he played with Jagr in Florida in 2016, Jagr wanted to challenge his workouts more during training camp. So Jagr got ankle weights and strapped them on himself to add resistance during drills, workouts and skates.

Apparently, Jagr felt so good during training camp and pre-season that he decided to keep the ankle weights on during regular season games.

Demers says that Jagr played with ankle weights on for at least 50 regular season games that year.

Jagr was 44 in 2016, played all 82 games and scored 16 goals.

Legend.

Demers also said that Jarg punctured a hole on the shaft of his stick so that he can connect it to a cable machine in the gym. He would then hook his stick to the cable and put the weights on something ridiculous like 150lbs. He would then pull the cables down by holding his stick as if he was puck handling and just lean on it for hours to develop hand strength on his stick.... ridiculous.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The saddest part, I don't think enough people truly appreciated Jagr's greatness during his prime. Those late 90's seasons with the Penguins were epic performances and yet, people had the gall to compare him to guys like Sakic, Forsberg, and Yzerman when at the time, he was clearly a cut above.

I'm happy to see it come full circle and for the guy to get the love and appreciation he deserves.

I'm quite sure we as a hockey community, aren't worthy of what Jagr has given us.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This is definitely the kind of story the next generation will not believe lol, it gives me Wilt Chamberlain vibes. Not to say I don't personally believe it tho, Jagr was probably created in Area 51 tbh.

Reactions: Neil Racki

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Jagr had a huge influence on the young Panthers team, especially Barkov. You could tell Barkov learned a lot from him about how to use his big frame to defend pucks and just the work ethic required to be the best. Getting Jagr was just one of the critical development milestones leading to the team we have today. So big thank you to Jags!

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Legend says he had ankle weights on in this infamous photo
Ik2ew74ncTYu0j6OLOYkteq6RKhaxVYwOpqjHdIyZ_k.jpg

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The saddest part, I don't think enough people truly appreciated Jagr's greatness during his prime. Those late 90's seasons with the Penguins were epic performances and yet, people had the gall to compare him to guys like Sakic, Forsberg, and Yzerman when at the time, he was clearly a cut above.

I was lucky, probably seen Jagr play live 40 plus times in his prime. Same for Lemieux.

Someone earlier sd they havent seen a player like McDavid since Jagr .. and its true.

Jagr was a rock star and not like the others the moment he came into the league. Bigger, faster, quicker then anyone else.

Reactions: TheStatican

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Barkov went to another level after being around Jagr.
He tells a story of heading to his room to sleep late after a game and meeting Jagr in the hallway, Jags with his stick and is wearing his weighted vest on his way to work out. Jagr asked where he was going. Then told him something like, that’s the difference between you and me... Barkov says he went in his room and did pushups and squats instead of sleeping.
-from a 2018 SI article
For two and a half seasons, Barkov shadowed Jaromir Jagr like a baby duckling, mining a workout legend for new drills. Now Barkov wears weighted vests and sticks to train, conducts shuttle sprints between the red and blue line after practice, and precedes them by shooting a six-pound medicine ball against a concrete wall too. "He's the guy who probably helped me almost more than anyone else," Barkov says. "He taught me that if you want to be one of the best, you have to work out more than others do, and smarter. I try to do what he says. I don't think that he's lying."

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Barkov went to another level after being around Jagr.
He tells a story of heading to his room to sleep late after a game and meeting Jagr in the hallway, Jags with his stick and is wearing his weighted vest on his way to work out. Jagr asked where he was going. Then told him something like, that’s the difference between you and me... Barkov says he went in his room and did pushups and squats instead of sleeping.
-from a 2018 SI article
For two and a half seasons, Barkov shadowed Jaromir Jagr like a baby duckling, mining a workout legend for new drills. Now Barkov wears weighted vests and sticks to train, conducts shuttle sprints between the red and blue line after practice, and precedes them by shooting a six-pound medicine ball against a concrete wall too. "He's the guy who probably helped me almost more than anyone else," Barkov says. "He taught me that if you want to be one of the best, you have to work out more than others do, and smarter. I try to do what he says. I don't think that he's lying."
This is exactly why all these teams that go into full teardown rebuilds take a decade to recover

you need to surround your young players with legitimate veterans and experience for many reasons or you are wasting assets

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This is definitely the kind of story the next generation will not believe lol, it gives me Wilt Chamberlain vibes. Not to say I don't personally believe it tho, Jagr was probably created in Area 51 tbh.

“He played with plumbers who smoked cigarettes, he was out of shape because fitness was invented in 2006 and his mother wears army boots”
- era adjusting crowd

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Jason Demers confirmed a story/myth today on the Marek show.

Demers said that when he played with Jagr in Florida in 2016, Jagr wanted to challenge his workouts more during training camp. So Jagr got ankle weights and strapped them on himself to add resistance during drills, workouts and skates.

Apparently, Jagr felt so good during training camp and pre-season that he decided to keep the ankle weights on during regular season games.

Demers says that Jagr played with ankle weights on for at least 50 regular season games that year.

Jagr was 44 in 2016, played all 82 games and scored 16 goals.

Legend.

Demers also said that Jarg punctured a hole on the shaft of his stick so that he can connect it to a cable machine in the gym. He would then hook his stick to the cable and put the weights on something ridiculous like 150lbs. He would then pull the cables down by holding his stick as if he was puck handling and just lean on it for hours to develop hand strength on his stick.... ridiculous.

This is nuts!

He is the new Chuck Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad