The last few games you beat and rate them 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Trepang2 - 8.5/10

Trepang2 definitely has that retro shooter feel with modernize graphics. The game play is incredibly fast and fluid. You play as a super soldier who can slow down time and turn yourself invisible. The gun play is awesome, you can sprint very quickly and slide into enemies, sending them flying as well. The gun play is just so incredibly satisfying and it's a blast sprinting through stages, sliding, and clearing out rooms however you see fit.

It's clear the devs wanted to just focus on making a game that is fun to play! The campaign is short, the story is bare bones, but I don't care because I had a blast playing through it the whole way. The F.E.A.R. vibes are great as well! I guess my only complaints would really be the level design is rather lacking. The levels are incredibly linear with hallways connecting small battle arenas but it's fine, the combat is centralized within those battle arenas and they're still fun. The campaign can be completed in 3-4 hours but there's plenty of side missions if you want more.

The game is just an absolute blast though! Very reminiscent of what gaming was like 20 years ago. No frills, just thrills!

Reactions: Osprey

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
@Ceremony I don’t always read your reviews or read all of it when it’s on a game I’m interested in but I think it’s cool you write out such long and detailed reviews. It must be cathartic to gather your thoughts like that and type it all out. Almost like a creative writing prompt.

Good for you dude.
Thank you. It's a bit less cathartic when four people like this post and nobody likes mine, but thank you.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Metro 2033 - 7/10

I don't have a ton to say about it. It's a pretty straight forward action/horror survival game. Given that it's over a decade old, it holds up pretty well.

For those who don't know, the Nazis make a comeback and the world ends up getting devastated by nuclear war. You play as a Russian where people have resorted to living in the tunnels of the metro. On the surface, the animals have mutated into monsters. The war is still on going as well, so you're fighting Nazis and monsters. Sounds like kind of a mess now that I type it out, but it works well enough. When you go to the surface and in some spots in the tunnels, you need to wear a gas mask. You need to replace the filters every few minutes as well. You find some throughout just by exploring and also buy them at outposts in the tunnels, but I played it on the harder difficulty so they are harder to come by. Your gas mask can get cracked, dirty, fogged up, and blood splattered on it. This is when the game really shines IMO. It's dark, it's claustrophobic, you can't really see well even with the flashlight, you're running out of filters so you've got to move fast through the darkness and you never really know what's around the next corner. The suspense and the atmosphere is what makes the game.

On the downside, it's rather short. I could have used a few more areas with different enemy types, too. Particularly the end seemed rather anti-climatic. There wasn't that one last big bad guy or tough area to get through. Also, the characters were rather forgettable. You do at most a mission with them and then they either die or go off to do something else. There's not enough time to grow any emotional attachment to any of them. At one point, you run into one of them again and I couldn't for the life of me remember who he was.

It scratched my itch for a FPS. I'll be playing Metro: Last Light at some point, but will probably play something else in between.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I don't really remember Last Light that well but it's probably because it was the weakest of the series IMO. I really liked Metro 2033, I barely remembered Last Light (for good or bad,) but I loved Metro Exodus.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I am in the minority of those who loved Last Light more than 2033. The second game hooked me from the start while the first one felt kind of aimless and took a while to get going in my eyes. It threw too many concepts and ideas at the player never letting things breathe. Last Light also has you bond with certain companions for multiple missions unlike 2033 which led to interesting scenes and situations down the line.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've heard people really like Exodus, but that others thought it was too open and it ruined the claustrophobic feeling of 2033 (and I assume Last Light). Since that's when I thought 2033 was at its best, I'm a little disappointed, but maybe they made up for it some other way.

Regardless, I already bought the entire series in a bundle, so I'm going to play them all. The one good thing about being a shorter game (which I assume Last Light and Exodus are also on the shorter side) is that you're not going to sink a bunch of time into a game that you might not end up liking.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
If you played the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series at all, Metro Exodus feels like a perfect blend between the open world of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and linear set up of Metro 2033. Quite frankly, if you enjoy the Metro games, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They're even better IMO.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Just beat this again for the first time in 20+ years via PS1 emulation….

7375_front.jpg

Took me a half an hour!! :laugh:

4/5

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom 9.5/10

Wonderful followup to the already great BOTW, great expansion of the open world, the Sage powers and the Abilities like Fuse and Ascend made for a great gaming experience.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship_20230704200116.jpg

WRC 8 (PS4, 2019)

Last year I spent six months playing WRC 7. I didn't write it up for two reasons. The first is that I finished everything the game had to offer after around 200 stages. The following 800 I drove were to finish all the in-game accomplishments for the trophies. By the time I was done after driving the same stage 800 times I never wanted to think about it again. The other reason is that, hideous compulsion towards completionism aside, there wasn't really much to write about. I don't have that much to say about WRC 8 either, but I enjoyed every aspect of it a lot more than 7, so I want to tell you anyway.

WRC 8 is the official game of the 2019 World Rally Championship season. For some reason the older WRC games get reduced to very cheap prices when there are sales on the PS Store nowadays. I definitely approve. Rallying is something I've always enjoyed more in video game format than the televised competition itself, but on a week by week basis I can feel my interest in Formula 1 drifting, so I might need something new to fill that motorsport void. Either way, the fact this is a seasons old game doesn't matter because it's still fantastic to drive.

Career mode feels properly involving, if a little sterile. You start out picking a team to drive for at Junior WRC level. You don't just drive though, you're your own team manager too. Competing in rallies and optional events unlocks points you can spend improving your R&D department. It earns you money to pay for your repairs and hire new staff members, like a better mechanic to perform repairs faster or a better agent to have a better range of events to take part in. From Junior level up through WRC 2, WRC 2 Pro and eventually full WRC the career expansion definitely enhances the experience.

The sterile aspect comes from a lack of an actual human interface. I've just realised the voice of the tutorial woman telling you what each part of the menu does is the only human communication all game. The rest of your team's headquarters is seen through a top down view that looks like a slightly more boring version of The Sims. Even after several seasons there are parts of the Crew I never understood. You can hire a Meteorologist to tell you weather forecasts. You can unlock upgrades so you can see the full three parts of a forecast for each stage you drive. Can't you just check the weather on the internet? Like the other Crew members they can be tired and need time to rest after rallies, why? They're looking at a screen and telling you what they see. Maybe they're holding their hand out of the window to see if it's raining. Ultimately it's all a waste of time anyway, because I'm pretty sure at least 80% of every forecast ever made was wrong. Not even a little bit wrong, I'm talking Biblical storms when it was apparently 0% chance of rain.

While the game's faults become more apparent the more time you spend with it, they're only ever minor inconveniences, and things which only stand out after spending several seasons with the Career mode. The driving itself does more than enough to make up for it. I played with a gamepad and every class of car is the perfect blend of intuitively controllable yet ferocious, barely tameable beast. Moving up through the classes I had to really adjust from front wheel drive to four wheel drive, properly adapting the way I approached each stage. After spending a bit of time grinding mileage out on one stage at the end of my time with the game you can really see how you can push the limits. As with real rallying (or any motorsport I suppose) there's a fine line, a limit you can push to and then the inevitable punishment when you go a bit too far. If I ever get around to writing a review of Dirt Rally 2 there will be screeds of me telling you how much I hate the co-driver, Phil Mills, but here all the actual rallying details are perfect.

The game looks and sounds great too. Visually it does the big and the small things well. Seeing the weather turn over the course of a stage is dramatic and almost makes up for the terrible crew member who didn't warn you of it. Night stages are as terrifying as they should be. Even small details like having to turn your wipers on every now and then because of dust even in the dry just makes it feel like the struggle against the elements it should. The cars all sound great to me, and even the sound of the weather and the brief flashes of cheering crowds as you blast through a forest add life to the game and make it all an experience.

The biggest criticism I have is probably a symptom of playing six seasons through the various categories back to back. The fourteen locations of the WRC are here. At WRC level a rally consists of six stages. The actual choice of stages per location isn't very large though, so it can get repetitive quickly. You might have Stage A, Stage B, Stage A and B combined, Stage B reverse, a shorter closed circuit SSS then Stage A and B combined reverse. I think some locations have more options than others, and I understand why this limitation exists, but the lack of variety is really apparent at times. Each location brings extremely unique challenges which is good, you might just tune it out a bit as you're doing it.

I ended up saying more than I was expecting. I think I just wanted to complain about the weather forecasts. If you're looking at sales and fancy a bit of off-roading, this is an extremely good place to start.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Meatgrinder - 8/10

This was a short but sweet one! It plays like a mix between Clustertruck and Doom. In case that doesn't draw enough of a picture, you're on the tops of planes, trains, and automobiles grappling from one to the next while fighting off punks with whatever weapon you have at your disposal.

Like I said, the game is short, it's all about gameplay. The campaign will only take you about an hour if you're a seasoned shooter player. There's a big focus on platforming as well. I 100%ed the game within an hour and a half. Is it worth the price? I thought so, but I know some people don't like spending more than a couple of dollars on a game they'll complete in an hour and a half. For what it's worth, there is an endless mode to try to rack up a top score on too!

The game is an absolute blast. I finished it in one sitting, no problem, I was surprised it ended so fast but I was also surprised an hour and a half went by because the game was that much fun. It's definitely a fun and unique game that took a chance trying something new and hit it out of the park!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Cyberpunk 2077 - 9.5/10

I am floored by how well this game turned out after CDPR addressed all the bugs, tech issues and jank. I was consumed with this game, I explored every nook and cranny, red every piece of lore, completed every quest. I fell in love with the setting, my character, and several others. It felt like Deus Ex and GTA had a beautiful baby.

Im going to replay it from the beginning with a new character when the expansion comes out.

My only knock against it is some cringe, try-hard edgy dialogue. But that’s easy to overlook given everything else it does so well.

Highest recommendation.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
ADACA - 8/10

Adaca is basically a low poly homeage to Half-Life 2 and it hits perfectly. The game is so clearly inspired by Half Life not only with the gravity glove and guns but also with the stages and enemies. My favorite reference was the warehouse you had to maneuver through while avoiding the trip mines or you blow the whole place up. The main focus is your gravity gun that acts as a gravity glove. Early on there's some fun areas where you can do creative things like grab a crane hook with your glove and try to swing it at enemies. That kind of stuff stops appearing in the second half of the campaign but the gravity glove is still fun to mess with regardless.

The gun play is smooth, there's plenty of room to explore while some levels feel very linear there's also some open areas. There are also a couple areas that give a serious S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibe. I only really played through the campaign which is short and sweet but there's also a free roam Zone Patrol mode in an open world where you're giving objectives. I'm just personally not very interested with open world and wanted a more linear experience so I don't really have any opinions on it but it's an option if you want more!

The game is an absolute blast. Just focus on fun FPS game play. If you're a Half Life fan, you need to play this. If you're a shooter fan at all, you need to play this.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Metroid Dread 8/10.

Fun, snappy gameplay; this game is simply a blast to play through. Excited to give Boss Rush a couple shots and keep going with this game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1689193857092.png

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4, 2019)

This review is going to be, broadly, about three things. The Soulslike genre, and my first experience of it. The story, and its place in my experience of new Star Wars. Finally, and least significantly, the game itself.

I've never played a Dark Souls game or any of its derivatives. The Dark Souls series seems like something I would find interesting in terms of of its world building and lore. I think all of my knowledge of these specific games is entirely second-hand, but the impression I get is something dark, mysterious and heavily detailed with a profound sense of significance in everything you come across. I know that it's a concept which has inspired many copycats, and since I was in the mood for a Star Wars game I thought I'd give this a try.

If you're reading this you probably know what a Soulslike is and how it works. One thing that did interest me about the concept is the deliberate, almost fundamental way the gameplay mechanics work. The notion of pressing a button to attack an enemy isn't a new concept in video games, but a third person game which is centred around precisely timed attacking, blocking and dodging sounds like such a deceptively good, simple idea for a game you wonder how it took so long for the genre to exist at all. Knowing that this concept is effectively distilled into something so precise and challenging it effectively becomes an art I went into the game pondering one of modern TV's greatest pieces of wisdom: How hard could it be?

Very hard, as it turns out. Fallen Order has four difficulty options - Easy, Medium, Hard (or some Star Wars version of these words) and Story, if you just want to go through with minimum fuss. Since going through this with minimum fuss defeats the purpose I went for Easy just to see what it was like. It was terrible. I was terrible. I play a lot of video games of varying genres and I can be very good at several of them, but there was no chance I was ever getting good at this. Each enemy has its own attack patterns and its own unique way of approaching them, and there are plenty of them. Lots of Stormtroopers obviously and lots of alien bug type things. It's great. I just couldn't get near any of them.

Part of this was down to something I might expand on later but ultimately, there's a bit of a problem with making a Star Wars Soulslike. It's Star Wars. If you give me a video game where I'm controlling someone with a lightsaber I am going to batter the attack button like a lab rat with electricity wired up to its genitals. But that's not how this game works, and it's not something I think I ever adjusted to. Reflecting blaster shots to kill Stormtroopers was a given and was definitely very cool. So was Force pushing Stormtroopers off of cliffs. That's about the only enjoyment I got out of the combat. Even when you turn the difficulty down and get your button mashing fix there's something hollow about killing enemies. It's not visceral. It feels as if the game's waiting for you to time your presses properly before it shows you the nice kill animation they've put together rather than something physical you're actually doing. And that's just for the humanoid enemies, the creatures just end up being an annoyance after about an hour.

In addition to combat there's some platforming, and when I started the game and realised it was made by Respawn, the people who brought us the fantastic Titanfall 2, I was surprised and newly hopeful. I don't think I knew at that point there was actually platforming in the game, but there is. You eventually unlock running along walls and double jumping, and you can move some objects around with the Force to climb walls and stuff. I think there are about four times in the whole game where you move a wall into place, then slow it down so you can climb on it before it snaps back. The notion of unlocking skills or abilities and your progression methods changing as you progress through a game certainly isn't new, but here the upgrades feel oddly tokenistic, as if they're there to add something that's obviously missing from the story or the combat. Outside of wall running there's some basic climbing and shimmying on ledges, but that's it.

The other thing about the player movement in general I never got used to is how bad the character animation is. Whether it's running, wall running or double jumping, any time you employ any of these skills your man looks like he defaults to a default character model with two different poses. None of it looks natural at all. I actually found it quite hard to judge the wall running sections because of how strange the arc of his run would look against the camera. The best way I could sum up the non-combat movement is that it effectively looked unfinished. Mechanically it was sound. Everything worked the way it should. It just looked terrible.

There are huge sections of the game too where you don't actually do anything. You know in third person games where you slide down something apparently in mortal peril but not actually doing anything? There's lots of that here. On one or two occasions the slide hits a bend and if the running animation looked bad, this is genuinely broken. There's one on Dathomir where the only way I could get round the bend consistently was to get stuck at the outside and then jump back into the middle. Aside from those, there are huge scripted sections where you're on a bird, or a train, or something, and a good minute of apparently intense action might see you press a button, or move a stick once. If a game is exciting it can get away with this now and then, in Fallen Order I found myself pointedly holding the controller up to show I wasn't doing anything.

I'm not going to look it up but I'm pretty sure that when I played the new Battlefront II a few years ago I mentioned how the only new Star Wars films I'd seen were The Force Awakens and Rogue One, and they did nothing for me. I've since seen The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, so obviously I have an even lower view of Star Wars content since 2017. The thing is, I like Star Wars. When I was younger they were on TV and I recorded them and watched them so much I can't hear the music without thinking of Frank Skinner popping up at the side of the screen doing a bit to advertise his chat show. Imagine if Peter Cushing married Whoopi Goldberg. The original three films, and even because I was the appropriate age when they were released and because they concluded the story, the prequels, are a complete circle. They're a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. That works for me.

The problem with Star Wars is it's effectively an unlimited source of content. If you want to make a film, or a TV show, or a book, or a comic, or a video game, anything at all, you can get someone to write something. Scratch that. If you want to make money, you can get someone to write something and call it Star Wars. Make up a planet, make up some names, bang. Part of the galaxy. But to me there is "Star Wars" - everything seen and mentioned in Episodes I-VI and then there is "other Star Wars" - literally everything I've seen or heard of second hand in the time since then. So a game like Fallen Order is starting from a position of weakness. I'm always going to think it's effectively fan fiction with a really large budget to start with, and it needs to bring me around.

Fallen Order does not do this. You play as Cal.... something or other. Apparently in a universe of unlimited possibility and creativity there is only one ginger person to be found, and you're finally hearing his story. The game starts with him working in a scrapyard and it turns out he's a Jedi in hiding after Order 66. So far, so fine. It turns out there's an Empire Jedi hunting squad on the go, and that's fair enough. Good start, good premise. After they catch up with Cal he escapes on to a ship driven by a small sarcastic grey thing with four arms and a woman.

Shortly before the end of this game I thought about writing this review and realised I had no idea what the story was. Fortunately the game seemed to realise it had allowed this to happen and just before the end of the game the woman on the ship gave me a handy recap, telling me where I was and what I was doing. The problem with a plot this bland is that it makes the entire thing seem inconsequential. Nothing truly galaxy-defining happened around the time of the Empire rising and all the Jedi disappearing. We know this, because it would have been mentioned by now. The problem with doing a story here is that it obviously has to seem worthwhile to the person watching or playing it, but can't be so large as to be on a par with the Bothans stealing the Death Star plans or Leia being chased by Darth Vader.

Speaking of Darth Vader, after referencing no notable Star Wars characters, the game throws him in as a boss fight near the end. The game absolutely one hundred percent did not do enough to earn the right to invoke Darth Vader. He's in the game for about fifteen minutes and it just feels like a joke.

There isn't really much to say about the story and the characters other than they're all really bland and feel as if every bit of dialogue and every aspect of the story was written by committee to be as bland and non-specific as possible. There's some potentially interesting stuff as Cal has flashbacks to remember his training with his Master to unlock new abilities in the present, but these appear so infrequently they virtually feel like something from a different game.

If the characters are all forgettable, do the environments make up for it? Nope. You can visit five planets in total including some Star Wars classics like Kashyyyk and Dathomir. Each of them is different in terms of how they look and some of the platforming/environmental interactions, but they all fall foul of a Soulslike trope - dungeons. From what I know of Souls games there are optional branching paths you can take through levels to explore and find things and enemies. You can do that here, but the minimap your droid companion shows you is so awkward to try and interpret you'd be as well trying to write down where you were on a bit of paper and trying to retrace your steps. It doesn't help that almost everything is a narrow series of linear corridors (and that the story path itself is entirely linear), so near enough everything looks the same.

Some of the planets are much more detailed than others too, both the optional and the story stuff. When you get to Kashyyyk you think great, the Wookies are here, now stuff is going to be happening. By the way, how useless are Wookies? They're nine feet tall fearsome warriors and every time you see their planet they all seem to be enslaved by people they could kill with one punch.

Anyway, while you're on Kashyyyk you get to shoot some stuff with an AT-AT. You get out and Forest Whitaker shows up and you think okay, now there's some story. Nope. He's made out to be this really important person to what's going on but he disappears and is never seen again. It doesn't feel as if every planet is treated equally, and it shows in how much of them you can (or need) to see. Your time on Kashyyyk ends with an extended sequence of climbing a tree, going down a slide and hitching a ride on a giant bird. It's as thrilling as it sounds.

And what is the reward for this exploration? There are quite a few collectables actually. There are boxes your droid can open that give you a new outfit, a new skin for your ship, or bits to customise your lightsaber. I forgot about the lightsaber bit, I could complain about this for hours. It's a third person game, so your lightsaber is either at your waist or in your hands. There are I think five bits you can change the colour of, with a nice lovingly rendered close-up view when you're at a customisation bench. The problem here is that it doesn't make any difference to anything because you can't ever actually see it. These unlocks feel like a panic happened shortly before the game was released because they didn't have anything in the world to interact with. I know, unlocks! Customisation! Make the robot a different colour! Make the ship a different colour! Why even bother? There's well over a hundred of these things to find too. It's cosmetics, but cosmetics you can't see. What's the point?

The other collectable-adjacent objects are Force Echoes which act as the game's attempt at world building. Find some glowing stuff on the ground and press a button to feel the actions of someone who was here, previously. A mother shielding her children, a Stormtrooper abusing a Wookie, that sort of thing. The story is done in part through this as well, and now I think about it the story is following some old guy's breadcrumb trail to find a thing. So you get Force Echoes from him telling you what's happening. Only they don't, you get a brief snippet of it then a prompt to pause the game and read a text log explaining it to you. The same goes for enemies, there are things you can read about those too.

It's at this point I'm going to quote one of my favourite Zero Punctuation moments from a review of Final Fantasy XIII: "This is not good story-telling; you're supposed to weave exposition into the narrative not hand the audience a f***ing glossary." How am I supposed to be immersed into a world and characters when I need to pause the game to read some gibberish every five minutes? And let me tell you, it is gibberish. I realise complaining about names being silly in something as large as Star Wars is a bit futile but here some of the names of creatures and characters honestly sound like something you say when you're trying to make fun of something stupid by making up names on the spot. I'm actually going to look up what some of them are called:

Oggdo Bogdo. Scazz. Splox. Jotaz. The place where you find Darth Vader is called the Fortress Inquisitorius. Bounty Hunters spawn randomly looking for you with names like Chonk, Pango Two-Teeth and Sir Chogs. I was genuinely expecting to walk into a room and be met with Big Chungus at one point.

Reflecting on all of this it's almost impressive that anyone could take Star Wars - one of the most iconic, beloved stories and set of characters ever and derive something as bland as this from it. The gameplay is what it is. It's functional enough mechanically and does what it does. I'm not the person to review it in any detail, but for my first encounter with it I found it difficult and wasn't really inspired to spend any time learning it. I don't know if it's a good Soulslike, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Everything else is just so cold and forgettable. At no point when I was playing this did I think anything mattered. At no point did I think my perception of the Star Wars universe was being altered, or that I was seeing anything or anyone important. I finished the game a week ago and I'm honestly surprised I could remember as much now, when I've sat and written this out in one go. That's probably the most impressive thing I'll take from this.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Tails of Iron - 8/10

This game is absolutely gorgeous. Tails of Iron has an amazing art style that looked great from beginning to end. The animations were rather simple but always looked crisp while enemies telegraph attacks with just the right amount of timing that you have to stay on your toes.

The combat is really fun. I'm not really a Souls fan but I always thought that kind of combat suits 2D a lot better than 3D. It's plenty challenging but never so much that you get frustrated. Some of the bosses were particularly challenging!

The story was solid enough. It's nothing too crazy as you build up your kingdom as you rule over the other rats. I was not prepared for the voice of Geralt from The Witcher as the narrator but he did a great job!

This isn't really a metroidvania despite the fact that you'll be backtracking a lot and revisiting areas but it's a great have nevertheless!

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 8/10

Good third chapter to the rebooted/reimagined Tomb Raider, had some great environments and locales, the usual mix of platforming and puzzles, along with some good enemies both human and animal

Reactions: Jovavic

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hades - 8/10

So after posting in the currently playing thread how I was starting to feel the grind because I couldn't get past the last boss, I beat it on my next attempt.

The gameplay is solid and addicting. I don't think it reinvents the wheel or anything, but the controls are tight, there's a wide arrange of perks to choose from, a few different weapons that feel different enough, and an easy to understand progression system. It's good ole video game fun. The thing that sets it apart from other roguelikes I've played is the story, dialogue, and voice acting. There was so much different dialogue depending on which perks you have, how you died last time, if you met other characters, etc. I noticed very few times where dialogue was repeated and usually it was just when the boss gets introduced. I also assume it is accurate to the mythology, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

The only complaints I have with it is related to the roguelike genre in general, but I knew what it was going in, so I can't really hold that against it. It's not my favorite genre, so it limits how much I can enjoy it, thus the 8/10.

I remember hearing a while ago that Hades only begins when you beat it, but I don't know if that will be for me. For the $10 or whatever it was that I spent on it, I'd say I got enough enjoyment out of it. Don't want to ruin it by turning it into more of a grind than it was already starting to feel like. I might keep it installed to play in-between other games or something, but as the main game I'm playing, that'll do it.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
capsule_616x353.jpg

8.5/10
At its core is a highly addictive card game, but what makes the game special is its approach to storytelling. Not only is the baseline narrative intriguing and well-written, but the beats you earn through gameplay, environments and puzzle-solving take the game to a level that makes the experience feel entirely fresh. That said, some of the ARG elements didn't hit for me and in the worst cases actively took me out of it. I'd love to get into the meat of the game, but doing so would spoil some of the game's best surprises, so I'd recommend going into it as blind as possible. Even if you're not big into card games (I'm not myself) I could not recommend this game enough, especially for those jaded by gaming industry as whole right now. Inscryption is the ultimate palate cleanser.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Circuit Superstars - 9/10

I love Circuit Superstars! I'm always a fan of top down racers which isn't a popular genre at all. Everything about this game feels great. The driving mechanics can surprise you as they feel fairly realistic in the sense that you'll actually have to brake going into turns. You can still drift around corners and stuff, but I don't remember many top down racers that actually require braking at all. In fact, they even have pit stops that you'll have to do on any race that has at least 10 laps! It's a nice little change that racers typically don't include.

Everything just feels so crisp. The driving mechanics are top notch and I love the aesthetic. My only complaints would be that there's no music, but on the other hand, you can throw on your favorite podcast or just play your own soundtrack in the background. The only change I'd really like to see made is that in qualifying laps and racing against lapped cars, other cars become transparent near you and you just drive right through them. There is collision during races when you're battling for position, it's just qualifying laps and against lapped racers. I do like that design, but there's no indicator for which car is yours. This partircularly can become a challenge in qualifying laps when cars start stacking on top of each other and you lose sight of your car.

That being said, this is definitely one of the best top down racers ever made in my opinion. If you like top down racers, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not playing this one.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Circuit Superstars was released years ago and has never been on sale (on PS at least).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've seen it on sale on Steam for 40% off a few times, never less. I finally decided to bite the bullet and just grab it. I'm glad I did. There's so many different car options to keep the variety going.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm glad I get to add Remnant: From the Ashes to my list of completed games. I don't get a whole lot of time to play games nowadays, so I'm not really into super challenging games as they take more time than I have to give them. Remnant is different. I just had to finish it.

Things I liked:
The puzzle elements in places
The trait system(though I wish you could respec throughout the campaign)
The checkpoint system similar to Dark Souls.
The different boss encounters and how challenging, yet understandable they were. The only boss that had me stumped for a while was the final boss, but I figured that one out too and it felt very rewarding.
I LOVED how exploring was rewarded. Finding different weapons, rings, mats etc. from exploring made it so worthwhile.

Things I wish were better/different:
Navigation. I don't need a spot on my map telling me exactly where to go, but with how the enemies constantly respawn when you use a check point, and how most places in each world look pretty similar, it was easy for me to get lost. Yesterday I almost put the game down for good because I wasted a precious hour of my gaming time and made 0 progress because I just couldn't figure out where to go. I gave it another shot today and figured it out and I wouldn't say it felt rewarding, more just random. I don't know. Better directions would've helped I think.

Available weapons: I found about ten weapons I think throughout the course of the playthrough and there were a couple of more that I could've crafted. The weapon upgrade system was pretty barebones(essentially, trade materials you've found in the world and now your gun does more damage). I wish you could upgrade mods and that there was more variety of weapons to find/craft.

Default melee/hipfire: the melee defaults on PC to left click when you're close to an enemy. Fire your weapon is also left click. Before I remapped the controls, I died a couple of times because I was trying to shoot an enemy that was close to me, but ended up swinging my sword at it and it drew me into a huge cloud of enemies. Once I remapped it, it wasn't too bad. Along the same lines, I wish there was a hipfire option, even if the reticle was significantly wider. When enemies attack you so quickly, I don't like having to aim first. I got used to it, but it was an annoyance.

Overall it was one of my most enjoyable experiences gaming that I've had in a while, even though it was rough around the edges and quite short. I cannot wait to fire up Remnant 2 tomorrow night! I've avoided pretty much all coverage, but the little bits that I've seen are very positive, so I'm really excited. It's honestly difficult for me not to pay the extra $20 and just play it tonight, but I have more self-restraint than that....I think :)

Rating: 8/10

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad