The last few games you beat and rate them 5

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Children of the Sun - 8.5/10

Children of the Sun is a really unique sniper/puzzle game that feels like a bit of an acid trip as you take down a cult. Did I pique your interest?

There's not much story here aside from some minor cutscenes before each stage. There's not even a single word of dialogue. But what you do see is interesting nevertheless. You get to see a cult taking over and harming its own members as you go on a revenge tour to take the cult down.

The game play is rather simplistic in nature. You can only run left and right. In fact, this whole game can be played with just a mouse. You move around in a circle or maybe between two objects if you can't fully encircle an area. Mark all the targets in the stage and find your ideal starting point. Once you take a shot and hit your target, time slows down dramatically and you can change direction of your bullet. You get one shot and you have to take down everybody in the stage to advance. Most stages have a challenge for you to strive for as well.

You'll unlock some minor abilities and find new enemies as you progress. You can curve bullets, speed bullets up, or even redirect them without hitting anything provided you fulfill the requirements. You can also aim for birds flying around the level to give yourself a new vantage point.

The game is short and sweet but it's really unique. I finished it in about 3-3.5 hours and had a blast all the way through. If you're looking for a unique indie game, this is a must play.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1722109036805.png

Daxter (PS4, 2024 - originally PSP, 2006)

Remember a few weeks ago when I played Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier and I said I hoped Daxter got the PS4/5 treatment next? Someone must have been listening.

Daxter is set between The Precursor Legacy and Jak II, covering what Daxter did in Haven City after he and Jak got separated. It turns out Daxter spent his time doing much the same as what Jak usually does - platforming and killing Metal Heads. With the occasional floating vehicle level thrown in.

I'm going to throw the inevitable caveat in early, once, and get it out of the way. For a PSP game, this is still perfectly enjoyable. On a technical level it's fine. There's some pop-in as you move close to certain parts of the environment in the hub areas. The close-up details of characters and enemies is good, and the close-up environment you can actually see is still rich and detailed too. The fine details on Daxter himself are great as well, like seeing him with paws when he runs or seeing his ears flop about. For the complaints I have, the game was clearly made by people who wanted to do the series justice.

Sound is probably the most notable area where the game is lacking. Literally. Several times during levels I noticed there wasn't any ambient noise or background music. I'm not sure if this is because the moments where it was completely absent stood out, or I was startled into realisation when it did come in and felt generic and out of place. It's a strange experience I don't think I've noticed very often, so it feels especially jarring here.

And on that note, the game has one thousand Precursor Orbs for you to find and it doesn't even have the right sound effect for when you pick them up. Did nobody realise this? Doesn't everyone who's ever played a video game know and expect that sound?

The level design is an odd mixture of linear areas connected by the mirage of an open world. Daxter nominally finds work as a bug exterminator and gets sent around the city on jobs. In practice however these are areas that may as well lead straight into one another, as there's little to no detail or interstitial stuff between them. The levels themselves are varied and engaging enough, but after a while you'll notice how little connection there is between what you're doing and why you're apparently doing it.

This sensation isn't helped by the characterisation. Daxter works with a guy named Osmo who sends him out on these jobs. There's an inevitable girl who Daxter likes and I don't remember what her name is or what context she appears in. She comes and goes. The background to the story of Jak II pops up every now and then along with a few more established characters from that time, but these moments feel like they happen just because they have to, rather than because this is a genuine extension of an existing story. I really like Jak and Daxter so maybe I'm judging unfairly, but the occasional flashes of people you recognise just reinforces where this game is lacking.

The gameplay is standard third person platforming and combat. Daxter graduates from basic physical attacks to a bug sprayer, then a flame thrower and a 'bug bomb' grenade launcher. There's not that much value to this development since the enemies don't really scale with your improved destruction capacity, but it adds a sense of progression and there are a few environmental interactions to be had so it's not totally to waste. Your sprayer also adds to the platforming, with sections where you have to use it to briefly hover and move in the air. I don't think I played a lot of PSP games so I might be completely wrong here, but I'd guess developers had to economical with the amount of content and mechanics they included. Multiple uses for a single mechanic is a good way of expanding the content in a game, so this is very well done.

Daxter's dream sequences need mentioning too. As you play and collect enough orbs you can unlock mini-games where Daxter dreams he's an action movie star. You play a little quick time event/rhythm game sequence where Neo repels Agents, or William Wallace throws rocks at the English, or Indiana Jones whips snakes and spiders and dodges boulders. These are fun and in keeping with Daxter's classic, irreverent sense of humour. If you hit a certain target of kills you can increase your health or unlock new combo moves. My biggest question though is what this means for the universe these games take place in. Are these dreams canon? Has Daxter seen The Matrix and The Lord of The Rings? Do regular humans exist somewhere in this world? Has he completely imagined the worlds he's dreaming about, and what does that mean? Is his consciousness slipping into a (our?) parallel universe?

I almost certainly got this game when I got the PSP at launch. I was surprised at how unfamiliar almost all of it was. I remembered the dream sequences and one level near the end, which looked so familiar compared to the rest of the game I found it a bit unsettling. Playing it, effectively, unseen in 2024 and with the caveat that I'm a big fan of the source material, I think I can judge Daxter fairly. It's good. It's worthwhile. It's a constantly engaging game that will last you about ten hours and never bore you, though you might find some of the historical shortcomings a bit frustrating. I'm still glad I got the chance to play it again, along with a new generation of players. Hey look, maybe there is a reason to maintain the back catalogue of video games.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Dungeons of Hinterberg - 9/10

Maybe this game came out at the right time for me, but I loved every second of it. Beautiful art style, fun dungeons that are all a little bit different, enjoyable combat, and a nice relationship system. Really liked the story as well. It also didn't overstay its welcome and drag on too long. People should give it a shot.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Still Wakes the Deep - 7/10

Survival horror/ walking sim set on an oil rig in the North Sea in 1975 that becomes infested with a pink tentacle monster that kills and mutates crew members into monsters, the unusual setting, time period and Scottish main character make for a different than usual experience. Pretty short, worth a look

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1724266057215.png

Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4, 2016)

Some time ago, Gone Home was featured as free monthly game on PlayStation Plus. This happened so long ago in fact that not only did I not own a PS4, I had decided I wasn't going to redeem the free PS4 games on offer because by the time I made the switch to that generation I wasn't going to be playing quite as many games. Whoops. It seems Gone Home was included on PS+ in June 2016. Being vaguely aware it was something I might be interested in I kept an eye out to see if it ever went on sale. Looking further at the list it seems the first PS4 game I redeemed was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, so you can see my interests were consistent.

That was 2016. I made the switch to PS4 as my full time console at some point near the end of 2018. Gone Home was on sale in February 2018 and then wasn't on sale again until April of this year, 2024. It also saw its normal price drop this year, going from £15.99 to £11.99. I promise I'll get to actually talking about the game eventually, but even its current normal price needs to be looked at. Gone Home is a walking simulator which offers, at best, four hours of content. That's one blind playthrough doing your best to take in everything naturally, then another one looking for all the creator commentary bubbles to interact with. It's a game with virtually no replay value, as once you know the story you know the story. As I'm thinking about it I realise I don't actually know what goes into pricing games, but considering the cost of other similar games (about a tenth of this when they're on sale every other month), Gone Home seems ludicrous.

Gone Home is a walking simulator where you play as Kaitlin, a 20 year old girl who's been off travelling in Europe and returns home to Oregon and an empty house. Through environmental clues and a journal left by her sister Sam, Kaitlin and the player find out what happened to her family.

It's a walking simulator so there's no gameplay besides walking around looking at things. The walking is quite slow. Even 5% faster would have been fine, but it's slow enough that I was getting frustrated on my first playthrough where I'm just wandering about exploring. That's a bad thing. Interacting with objects is tactile and oddly thoughtful. In one of the commentary bubbles one of the developers explains that during playtesting people said they felt bad about picking stuff up and then doing the usual video game thing of throwing it on the floor, so there's a 'put back' option where you can replace things where you got them. This is nice, and the sort of mechanic which makes games like this more immersive. You're more likely to treat the premise seriously if you can interact with things the way you would in reality. Probably. Would you go into a stranger's house and throw their ornaments around? Don't answer that, you'll disappoint yourself.

The game's ambient soundtrack is very good. The.... I don't remember their last name. The family have recently moved into a large, old, gothic house filled with lots of large, old, gothic house noises and sounds. As you're walking around, it feels like a real building. The game takes place at night in the rain, and the sound and occasional flash of weather through windows adds to the atmosphere. It feels real, and it feels equal parts comforting and mysterious.

Gone Home is set in 1995 and is, largely, about the life of a 17 year old girl. As a result, the social period and interests espoused within are right up my alley. Sam listens to riot grrrl music. The game uses real music from that time. Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney adds a few thoughts in the commentary mode.

I'm not actually sure how well the game does as a period piece. It features real music from the time. There are fake magazines with pictures of Kurt Cobain and Gillian Anderson on them. Sam has an original Nintendo. There are VHS tapes lying around with X-FILES SEASON 1 18-21 written on them, but I never really escaped from the feeling that I'm in 2024, playing a video game from 2013 that's set in 1995. I'm honestly not sure why. The game does a very good job of creating an immersive and real environment and the characterisation is very real even though you don't interact with them directly, but something about the time period feels like a reproduction rather than authentic.

While I was thinking about what I'd say when I was writing this game up I thought about walking simulators as a genre, how many I've played and what traits they share. I ended up realising I've actually played more games like this than I thought. I also realised that as a format they will almost always have to struggle with telling a story with multiple characters and viewpoints from a single perspective, usually discovering the story after it's happened. Can, then, a game feature (in this case) four meaningful characters who all feel legitimate? Asking questions and then answering them is very annoying so I apologise, but I think Gone Home manages it.

In addition to the journal pages you can find there are subtle clues dotted around the house which when pieced together explain more clearly what was going on in the family. You can get the gist of things with just a few bits of information, but the game strikes a fine balance of giving you information which rewards you enough to want to keep exploring to find as much of it as you can. I don't think your path for uncovering this blind is technically linear, but you can probably find 90% of this stuff just from following one clue after another, which is a good amount.

It might seem silly being at pains to avoid spoilers for something more than ten years old, but I had managed to go that length of time knowing absolutely nothing about this game, so you might too. The story is different. It's normal yet something you might not necessarily have seen in a game, or even that often in other formats. It's told well, with emotion and empathy in a way which never really becomes too preachy. It's a story about the young told from the perspective of the young which always carries a potential to be insufferable, but I don't think it ever is.

I liked the commentary mode you can activate as well. Since the game is short the commentary isn't that much longer than a regular playthrough, and it's just as interesting learning about how the game is the way it is if you're interested and enjoyed it. I remember playing Dear Esther and having no desire to listen to the commentary there even though the game is a similar length, so either I'm growing or Gone Home is miles better than at least one of its comparables.

All in all I must have waited the best part of eight years to be able to play Gone Home. I ended up engaging with it in a way I wasn't expecting and in a way I haven't done with just about everything I've played so far in 2024. I can't really say anything other than that I enjoyed this and would recommend it to everyone, and that I'm going to actively seek out similar games to it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I read this thread more than I post, but I needed to post about Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order. Good characters, really underrated story, but damn, the game is glitchy as f***. The gameplay feels rushed and unfinished, with the character as well as the camera movement being too fidgety like you're on cocaine...yet you cannot change the control sensitivity in the menu because they never added it lol. There were at least twenty spots in the world I found while playing where I died and fell through the entire EFFIN' world on repeat! Of those twenty times, I had to manually close the game at least 70% of them...losing an hour or so of gameplay since sometimes I had to restart an entire area because of their ridiculously flawed save chequepoints. It doesn't even stop there; the voice dialogue in the cut scenes is about 15 SECONDS APART!!!!!!!!!!! Holy smokes, how can you get something so wrong, like not even testing to see if the cutscene sequence aligns with the voice timing? Never, ever trust EA games; they are all failures, even though I liked Fall Order in the end. I will be giving the sequel a chance, but I am not expecting anything good.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4, 2016)

Some time ago, Gone Home was featured as free monthly game on PlayStation Plus. This happened so long ago in fact that not only did I not own a PS4, I had decided I wasn't going to redeem the free PS4 games on offer because by the time I made the switch to that generation I wasn't going to be playing quite as many games. Whoops. It seems Gone Home was included on PS+ in June 2016. Being vaguely aware it was something I might be interested in I kept an eye out to see if it ever went on sale. Looking further at the list it seems the first PS4 game I redeemed was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, so you can see my interests were consistent.

That was 2016. I made the switch to PS4 as my full time console at some point near the end of 2018. Gone Home was on sale in February 2018 and then wasn't on sale again until April of this year, 2024. It also saw its normal price drop this year, going from £15.99 to £11.99. I promise I'll get to actually talking about the game eventually, but even its current normal price needs to be looked at. Gone Home is a walking simulator which offers, at best, four hours of content. That's one blind playthrough doing your best to take in everything naturally, then another one looking for all the creator commentary bubbles to interact with. It's a game with virtually no replay value, as once you know the story you know the story. As I'm thinking about it I realise I don't actually know what goes into pricing games, but considering the cost of other similar games (about a tenth of this when they're on sale every other month), Gone Home seems ludicrous.

Gone Home is a walking simulator where you play as Kaitlin, a 20 year old girl who's been off travelling in Europe and returns home to Oregon and an empty house. Through environmental clues and a journal left by her sister Sam, Kaitlin and the player find out what happened to her family.

It's a walking simulator so there's no gameplay besides walking around looking at things. The walking is quite slow. Even 5% faster would have been fine, but it's slow enough that I was getting frustrated on my first playthrough where I'm just wandering about exploring. That's a bad thing. Interacting with objects is tactile and oddly thoughtful. In one of the commentary bubbles one of the developers explains that during playtesting people said they felt bad about picking stuff up and then doing the usual video game thing of throwing it on the floor, so there's a 'put back' option where you can replace things where you got them. This is nice, and the sort of mechanic which makes games like this more immersive. You're more likely to treat the premise seriously if you can interact with things the way you would in reality. Probably. Would you go into a stranger's house and throw their ornaments around? Don't answer that, you'll disappoint yourself.

The game's ambient soundtrack is very good. The.... I don't remember their last name. The family have recently moved into a large, old, gothic house filled with lots of large, old, gothic house noises and sounds. As you're walking around, it feels like a real building. The game takes place at night in the rain, and the sound and occasional flash of weather through windows adds to the atmosphere. It feels real, and it feels equal parts comforting and mysterious.

Gone Home is set in 1995 and is, largely, about the life of a 17 year old girl. As a result, the social period and interests espoused within are right up my alley. Sam listens to riot grrrl music. The game uses real music from that time. Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney adds a few thoughts in the commentary mode.

I'm not actually sure how well the game does as a period piece. It features real music from the time. There are fake magazines with pictures of Kurt Cobain and Gillian Anderson on them. Sam has an original Nintendo. There are VHS tapes lying around with X-FILES SEASON 1 18-21 written on them, but I never really escaped from the feeling that I'm in 2024, playing a video game from 2013 that's set in 1995. I'm honestly not sure why. The game does a very good job of creating an immersive and real environment and the characterisation is very real even though you don't interact with them directly, but something about the time period feels like a reproduction rather than authentic.

While I was thinking about what I'd say when I was writing this game up I thought about walking simulators as a genre, how many I've played and what traits they share. I ended up realising I've actually played more games like this than I thought. I also realised that as a format they will almost always have to struggle with telling a story with multiple characters and viewpoints from a single perspective, usually discovering the story after it's happened. Can, then, a game feature (in this case) four meaningful characters who all feel legitimate? Asking questions and then answering them is very annoying so I apologise, but I think Gone Home manages it.

In addition to the journal pages you can find there are subtle clues dotted around the house which when pieced together explain more clearly what was going on in the family. You can get the gist of things with just a few bits of information, but the game strikes a fine balance of giving you information which rewards you enough to want to keep exploring to find as much of it as you can. I don't think your path for uncovering this blind is technically linear, but you can probably find 90% of this stuff just from following one clue after another, which is a good amount.

It might seem silly being at pains to avoid spoilers for something more than ten years old, but I had managed to go that length of time knowing absolutely nothing about this game, so you might too. The story is different. It's normal yet something you might not necessarily have seen in a game, or even that often in other formats. It's told well, with emotion and empathy in a way which never really becomes too preachy. It's a story about the young told from the perspective of the young which always carries a potential to be insufferable, but I don't think it ever is.

I liked the commentary mode you can activate as well. Since the game is short the commentary isn't that much longer than a regular playthrough, and it's just as interesting learning about how the game is the way it is if you're interested and enjoyed it. I remember playing Dear Esther and having no desire to listen to the commentary there even though the game is a similar length, so either I'm growing or Gone Home is miles better than at least one of its comparables.

All in all I must have waited the best part of eight years to be able to play Gone Home. I ended up engaging with it in a way I wasn't expecting and in a way I haven't done with just about everything I've played so far in 2024. I can't really say anything other than that I enjoyed this and would recommend it to everyone, and that I'm going to actively seek out similar games to it.

I haven't done a ton of the walking sims but most of them, including Gone Home, were pretty enjoyable, often a short "palate cleanser" from blasting zombies/nazis/mutants or other various baddies, these are the one's I remember, some had a little more action than others

What remains of Edith Finch
Everybody's gone to the rapture
Soma
Still Wakes the Deep
Return to Grace

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What remains of Edith Finch
Liked it the second time I played it
Everybody's gone to the rapture
Would have been better if it had an ending
Meh
Still Wakes the Deep
Well we'll see if they improved on EGTTR won't we
Return to Grace
This seems to have been released on XBox in Europe, but not PlayStation. Strange.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Decided to play Star Fox 64 for the first time since probably it re-released on 3DS like 14 years ago?

With the benefit of age and starting to enjoy viewing games through a more critical lens...and it's still mostly good

Pros:

- branching paths theoretically mean your first few playthroughs should be different. It also encourages trying things in different ways, and even a bit of exploration which is kinda wild for a game that is on-rails. This turns what is an admittedly short game (took me like an hour to beat the "easy" path) into something with a bit more meat. Doubly so if you're willing to try and get gold medals on all planets and try your hand at expert mode. I've seen some say this was the primitive beginnings that gave stuff like Rougelikes their inspiration.

- Corny late 90's voice acting that is so bad it wraps around to being good

- Shooting shit in a space ship is just never boring.

Cons:

Level design starts to become a bit of a mess later in the game. Aquas is a really cool concept on paper but imo is executed terribly given the underwater effects they use completely guts the framerate. And it really shows with the benefit of this game aging and pretty much the rest of it holding up performance wise. The penultimate level on each path (Bolse, Area 6) along with sector Z become an assault on your eardrums with the game having you focus on a primary objective, trying to bail out your comrades being chased by random mooks and having to deal with Star Wolf depending on which level it is. I don't know how one would gold medal those stages but i salute you if you did.

All-range mode generally feels awful compared to the rail shooter portions. It's supposed to be dogfighting but it ends up feeling like you're just hard turning in a circle trying to get the enemy in your sights. most noticeable in that abortion of a final fight against Andross's brain

hardly a deal breaker, but like other N64 games emulated/ported to other consoles this game suffers a bit from the loss of not having the super precise analog stick the N64 controller had. Trying to lead shots at longer ranges plus trying to focus on specific targets (noticed this with andross's hands) can be a little bit finicky since the original controller obviously reacted better thanks to the optical sensors it was built with. Noticed this a little bit on the 3DS as well back in the day but not nearly as pronounced given that was rebuilt from the ground up for that hardware.

Still worth playing imo, though it's a shame this is essentially where the series peaked and strangely never recovered from this game setting what star fox is supposed to be essentially in stone.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 9.5/10
I played a bit of Yakuza 0 and couldn't get into it but wanted to give the series another try with how much praise Like a Dragon received and I'm glad I did! The story was phenomenal and the humor was awesome. The humor is great whether you get a quick joke in a serious story cutscene, the insanity of some of the substories, or even just the ability animations.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a great game to enter the series on because they introduce a new main character and a new combat system. Even if you tried previous Yakuzas and couldn't get into them, this one is still worth a shot. The combat is never overly difficult (until the Final Millenium Tower which is after the story ends if you want a crazy challenge.) It's a rather easy game provided you pay attention to your health and don't try to go into fights you're underleveled for.

The setting is awesome, the characters are awesome, the story is awesome, the graphics are awesome, the music is awesome. I loved just about everything in this game. They have some great quality of life things like learning which restaurant combos give you which bonuses by just allowing you to buy the whole menu, shortcuts for your favorite abilities in fights, etc. The management mini game gets a bit tedious, especially if you're going for all achievements, with how slow it ends up feeling when you finally get all your properties leveled. The grind for the Final Millenium Tower also feels really tedious.

There's really not much I can point to and say "I didn't like this" about Yakuza: Like a Dragon. The game is amazing. It's long but it's absolutely worth a playthrough for everybody. I'll definitely be picking up Infinite Wealth from here.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I agree with most of that but I think IW won't be as good to you because the Kiryu parts of game (which is a decent amount) just won't hit at all. Leading up to the release of IW I played through the first 4 games and number 6 (so I skipped 4 and 5) and the Kiryu parts landed great.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
My biggest gripe with IW was the big side quests didn't land at all for me. Yakuza game side quests usually hit like crack for me. I got painfully addicted to the business management sidegame in LAD and even the stupid ass cabaret simulator in 0/2

Dondoko Island starts off great but then by the 3/4 star mark it becomes an exercise in monotony when you realize the game rewards you for dumping random junk on the island rather than rather trying to build an actual resort
Sujimon just...nah, man. Felt too grindy even by RGG sidequest standards.

Outside of that i loved the game. The main story was pretty solid, albeit a tad convoluted. Loved the upgrades to the job system (who doesn't want a Japanese-American man like Tomizawa trying to be a wild west gunslinger?) and RGG's attempt to blend more traditional elements from their beat em up games into an JRPG formula. (being able to move a little bit makes a huge difference) Kiyru's bucket list was also pretty engaging as a sidequest, much more so than the other bigger ones.

Most of the new characters land really well. Tomizawa going from a petty thug to Kasuga's BFF is written pretty well, Yamai being this weird mystery man who finally gets a bit of light shed on him at the end of the game. Chitose i can take or leave since it got to points where she felt like a plot device more than actual character. Our only hope is they drag out the Kausga/Saeko for as long as humanly possible to drive all the people demanding a resolution to that nuts.

Reactions: Jovavic

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
My biggest gripe with IW was the big side quests didn't land at all for me. Yakuza game side quests usually hit like crack for me. I got painfully addicted to the business management sidegame in LAD and even the stupid ass cabaret simulator in 0/2
I think I put 15 hours into that business management mini game alone. It was so addicting 😂

Reactions: Jovavic

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Flintlock - 8/10

I was looking forward to this game for a few years, and came away pretty happy. It's tough, but not really that bad, especially once you start to gain powers and level up. You can tell this is a AA game and not AAA but it looks just fine. Not terribly long, think I finished all the side missions and main missions in around 12 hours.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
VLADiK BRUTAL - 8.5/10
The comparisons VLADiK BRUTAL get to Half-Life are incredibly obvious when playing the game. So much from weapons, story, setting, enemies, level design, etc are all clearly influenced by the Half-Life series. It's amazing more games don't try to mimic Half-Life even all these years later. The graphics are great for one developer working on it and it plays great.

The gun play can feel a little janky, it takes a little bit of getting used to. The AI is pretty bad and unfortunately always knows where you are. The AI doesn't have much strategy other than moving towards you. They don't really look for cover too much.

There are only a few bosses and they'll all remind you of Half-Life in some capacity, as will pretty much all enemy types. There's not too much variety in enemies but it's still fun to shoot them up, especially with the gore in the game.

My favorite part of the game is that Half-Life level design. It constantly gets broken up between shooting, puzzle solving, exploration, at a perfect pace. There are little green glow sticks to point out the path to take which come in handy because there are even some jumping puzzles like Half-Life where you'll have to climb a series of pipes to reach a vent. Playing so many modern games, you forget about that kind of thing.

Overall, the game is surprisingly great even with some jankiness. If you're a fan of the Half-Life games, this is a must play. For the price point, it's a steal. If you haven't played a Half-Life game because they feel too dated for you, you should still give this one a try, there's not much story in it, and the story isn't particularly very good, but the level design is top notch with a good shooter/horror vibe to it.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Played and beat Spider-Man 1 & 2 this past month. I haven’t done the DLCs or Miles Morales but I’ve gotta say these games were both fantastic for the most part.

Movement around the world was mostly great, it gets a little clunky in close-quarters situations but otherwise very smooth. Combat on Hard (Spectacular?) was fun yet challenging, especially in SM2 where the dodge window is less forgiving.

I was blown away by how large the story felt in SM1. Really thought it was coming to a head with Lin and the Sinister 6 bit was going to be saved for the next game. They did the same thing in SM2 with the symbiotes but I saw it coming this time around so was less thrown off. In both games the depth of villains was jaw-dropping. So much so I think they really only have a few options for SM3.

Playing as Miles was a ton of fun as well. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about another Spider-Man but he was executed perfectly in this game. I loved how they split the game up between the two and so seamlessly weaved them back together.

For both games, the Mary Jane missions and non-Spidy missions were totally lame. Whatever they were trying to do there was just a total waste of time. Nonetheless I loved both of these games and will most likely replay them. Awesome, awesome job and they felt like a true AAA experience each time.

Spider-Man 1: 8/10
Spider-Man 2: 9/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad