HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The iPhone was born 15 years ago today

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
While it isn't technically genesis for the smartphone, the iPhone (and HTC as well) is the one that certainly got the ball rolling. I remember in school when it was the hip new thing alongside the iPod touch. Everyone I went to school with couldn't wait to get away from flip phones to get a smart phone. Come to think of it I also remember that this was around the time the Xbox 360 was only 2 years old, Google just recently bought YouTube and was still able to be used in mainland China, and the great recession hadn't truly hit yet.

The fact that was all 15 years ago is unsettling to me and makes me feel old. I wonder if this is how people felt during the 15th anniversary of the Compact Disc.
When I was in middle school in the 80s my friend's dad had one of the very early CD players. First one I had ever seen. I think it was the size of a toaster oven :laugh:

When I was at my mom's at Christmas I found an actual functioning Discman :eek:

Reactions: EvilDead

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Never had ribs in my life. Wifey made some and I been missing out
556FBAD8-31E8-4165-A25A-5009106030AD.jpeg

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Started with a "free" bag phone that was remarkably only .25 cents a minute. My cell bill for that first phone was like $800 a month, but that was cool because it came with a 20" wire. I would stay connected with my office and the guys with Motorola radios, base stations wired into the vehicles, in the office with antennas on the roofs. All of those went thru 2 repeater towers. All for another few hundred a month after the initial set up and equipment fees.
along the way, there were cheap little phones, a bunch of them. Then came a flip phone with the wired in base another antenna on the roof and a speakerphone. I was stylin'
I would carry books of customer classified info that I kept locked up in the vehicles. I remember buying a laptop to have customer info loaded on but that could only do so much. So I carried that around in my work vehicles which made me feel so hooked up. Then, I bought a weird universal first-gen GPS that hooked to the laptop and you had to put the antenna up high in the windshield. I felt like Batman. The problem was I had to pull over every 500 feet and wait for the system to calibrate and find 3 satellites or some such crap. That lasted about 3 months. I had heard that the Air Force was working on a GPS system and then I heard that Google was going to start a program where they would "take pictures of every street, house, etc and put it together somehow so that you could look up addresses on the internet. Wow, I told my friends about the Google endeavor, they laughed and laughed and pitied me for being gullible.
But then Nextel had a phone radio combo that did both. WOW! high tech!
There were so many gadgets (Blackberrys etc) a beeper (a couple hundred more bucks a month but oh the convenience) and a bunch of map books (well, those weren't gadgets but they were just another thing to carry onboard). And then a buddy of mine, a guy who used to get excited about anything Mac/Apple bragged to me about his iPhone.
I thought he was deranged as he explained the benefits of the iPhone, said it would do all of this stuff (but even he probably didn't know how the thing would evolve.)
Now, I'm a slave to that phone. Got rid of our wired house phone but now if I ever lose the iPhone or it gets destroyed I'll be lost. Thinking about buying a backup iPhone and copying all of my contacts etc on it. Just.In.Case.
Anyway, these days I wonder what my parents would've thought of the iPhone, after all for years they would never spring for an extra phone in our house, and for an extra $6 a month, one in the kitchen was enough!

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ROAMING was pure evil :rant:

In 2003 I had a fantastic phone called the Sidekick

Color_sidekick.jpg

Does anyone beside Superman miss pay phones?

New England Telephone was brutal after 3 minutes

The iPhone was actually inspired by a colossal failure by Disney called the ESPN Phone.

The story goes that ESPN president George Bodenheimer attended the first Disney board meeting in Orlando, Florida, just after the company had bought Pixar, the innovative animation factory, and spotted Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a hallway. It seemed like a good time to introduce himself. “I am George Bodenheimer,” he said to Jobs. “I run ESPN.” Jobs just looked at him and said nothing other than “Your phone is the dumbest f***ing idea I have ever heard,” then turned and walked away.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
ROAMING was pure evil :rant:

In 2003 I had a fantastic phone called the Sidekick

Color_sidekick.jpg

Does anyone beside Superman miss pay phones?

New England Telephone was brutal after 3 minutes

The iPhone was actually inspired by a colossal failure by Disney called the ESPN Phone.

The story goes that ESPN president George Bodenheimer attended the first Disney board meeting in Orlando, Florida, just after the company had bought Pixar, the innovative animation factory, and spotted Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a hallway. It seemed like a good time to introduce himself. “I am George Bodenheimer,” he said to Jobs. “I run ESPN.” Jobs just looked at him and said nothing other than “Your phone is the dumbest f***ing idea I have ever heard,” then turned and walked away.

The sidekick was a phone I lusted after as a child. It was such a cool looking phone.

Also I barely remember pay phones.

Reactions: Fenway

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
large01.jpg

This was one of the first phones I owned and I remember wanting it because of the stupid Verizon commercial for it.

Edit: I also had this Motorola before I had my first android phone.

motorola-rival-a455-verizon-wireless_39s7.jpg

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The smart phone (not sure if I'd call it that, by the way) has been a source of immense frustration and comedic enjoyment for a few years now....My favorite is people in crowded places, texting, face timing and checking some bullshit social media site and being a general obstruction to those of us who have our heads out of our asses and have places to go.....

This never gets old.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Android here....I sore when I got my first smartphone I wouldn't get attached to it ..that lasted about half a day. Now that you have to have it for tickets it's almost a necessity.

Right now I'm listening to the game on my main phone and reading the board on my old phone that I just use for internet... technology - ain't it grand!!!!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
LG Chocolate Slider best phone ever. Razor second. Loved the sliding of the phone. Robust too. I wonder if I still have it? Got to look. It was like a communicator on Star Trek. LMAO!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My problem with Android is every manufactuer tweaks it for their own purpose.

It staggers me at how good cellphone video has become.
The Apple Infrastructure overran everyone,marketing Ipods and Itunes to the youth, got parents caught up in the trend and then the whole 18-49 group. Nokia and Samsung had better phones,but got overrun by the Apple machine.

aguineapig

Just wondering aloud on a keyboard, but how would Brad Park be able to stickhandle in a phone booth if he played in this day and age? Speaking of phonebooths, when I was young and running wild I used the phonebooth in front of the drug store on Main St. to call around to see where the action is. One afternoon while calling the rounds I encountered a stuffed manila envelope on the stainless steel shelf that was beneath the phone. I walked pell mell around the corner to the PD and left it with the officer on duty. He had me fill out a form, in case it went unclaimed or something to that effect.
A month or so later I stopped by Ma's to see if there were any unclaimed prizes in the fridge. She gave me a stare like Cashman had when he went into the corner hunting for a Hab. "What'd you do now?" she barked "The cop's called here looking for you." I wolfed down a Ham sandwich and a piece of pie thinking it may be my last meal as a free man. When I walked into the PD I thought I was looking at five to ten, but instead found myself looking at an envelope the desk officer handed me. " What's this a ticket?" I asked.
"No, a gentleman dropped this off for turning in his payroll deposit" he replied. Opened it up and a crisp fifty dollar bill was inside.
Brad Park could stickhandle in a phone booth, I parlayed an envelope into a month's rent in one.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
LG Chocolate Slider best phone ever. Razor second. Loved the sliding of the phone. Robust too. I wonder if I still have it? Got to look. It was like a communicator on Star Trek. LMAO!

Believe it or not I had both, still have my Razor, it was so amazing at the time, now looks like a toy.
I loved flipping it open and closed. . . those were the days.

Iphone 3 and others, Blackberry storm, Samsungs, Hauwai, Nexus, too many over the years.

Reactions: chizzler

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I've never liked the Apple "ecosystem" and prefer the freedom and choice an open source OS like Android provides. Having said that there is no denying the significance the introduction of the iPhone had on the world of technology and while I don't like the Apple software, their hardware is outstanding.

I'll stick with Android though.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I've never liked the Apple "ecosystem" and prefer the freedom and choice an open source OS like Android provides. Having said that there is no denying the significance the introduction of the iPhone had on the world of technology and while I don't like the Apple software, their hardware is outstanding.

I'll stick with Android though.

Ultimate irony there is the hardware people love the most about an iPhone are made by Samsung...the screen and the camera

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
A few years ago I was getting gas in Towson MD and saw a payphone in the parking lot. I joked with my sister about it, then wondered if it still worked. I went up with some quarters and right after I put one in, another customer, who was a young kid with a civic ft. a fart can ran up saying "are you in trouble man? Do you need to borrow my cell phone?"

Reactions: aguineapig

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Damn think I got covid. Puking since 5am today. Cant sleep(no weed my sleep aid and lots on my mind) and some other symptoms. Looks like powerade, madden and rest next few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad