Line Combos: The Honest Truth About Minton and Cowen

Are Minton/Cowen ready for regular play in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Why put them together? Don't get it? Minten already had a taste, he's a year younger and his role is such you can shield him more. Cowan has more upside, but he's younger and physically could need a touch of seasoning to fully develop. Again don't get lumping two different players into one question.
Leaf fans are adding both to next season's roster.

Both are prospects and if they are not traded could be decent players in the future.

Reactions: arso40

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Think Cowan gets more than a 9 game stint at least, could play in WJC & from there it's questionable if he sticks or gets sent down.

Minten gets time in the AHL with at least some games with the Leafs.

Reactions: TMLife17

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
This fanbase never stops overhyping prospects.

Just a few years ago our future D was going to be an elite combination of Dermott, LIljegren, Sandin and Holl.

I don't mind Minten and Cowan but these are not blue chip prospects. I'm not expecting either to be full time on the team next year.
Leafs fanbase and media hype up any player like they are allstars.

I'm still waiting to see when Nick Robertson is going to be this giant scoring machine. Sandin was hyped up like an up and coming stud D and they dished to caps for journeyman Gustaffson.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
I might be leaning on the conservative side with these 2 players. Both I believe can be solid parts of our future, but I think they both need seasoning in the AHL.

I'm curious. Where do you stand? Do you have them both penciled in to the Leafs' roster next season?
You can't really predict a player who was a Junior MVP at 18 will ever play in the AHL. He has been compared to Mike Richards. If he needs seasoning in the AHL it might be like that.

Minten is a mystery to me. They liked his game away from the puck enough to keep him on the big club. The Blades got him for that same reason. I think there is a strong possibility he has difficulty producing enough offence to be a full time NHLer. On the other hand 20 goal Juniors do sometimes become 20 goal pros because they put in the effort in spite of their lack of dangles. So no penciling in but if he brings the same energy in a bigger faster package he could start with the Leafs again.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Minten needs to cook in the AHL for a year in order for him to learn the defensive side of the game and get more comfortable with the speed and size of the game.

Cowan is tough, as I don't think he could learn anything more by playing in the OHL.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Cowan has a better chance at making the team. That being said I think he will struggle to find his footing at the NHL level. At least right now.

In a couple years he will be a problem.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This fanbase never stops overhyping prospects.

Just a few years ago our future D was going to be an elite combination of Dermott, LIljegren, Sandin and Holl.

I don't mind Minten and Cowan but these are not blue chip prospects. I'm not expecting either to be full time on the team next year.
Until you mentioned Holl ...

There actually were no blue chip prospects playing in the OHL this year.
OHL is a pedestrian, 2nd. rate junior system.
Hopefully they won't waste more picks there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs fanbase and media hype up any player like they are allstars.

I'm still waiting to see when Nick Robertson is going to be this giant scoring machine. Sandin was hyped up like an up and coming stud D and they dished to caps for journeyman Gustaffson.

Your trolling needs some validation.

Robertson has never been a giant anything.
Sandin was traded for a 1st. round pick and Gustafson.

It's called a tell.

• Haha

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Cowan is type of player you can use everywhere in a line up contrairly to a guy like Robertson who a pure offensive player.

I read at the beggining of last season a comparaison with Darcy Tucker, i watched him couple of games and his game really remind a modern Tucker. He's already playing like a NHL player and for me no doubt he would be in the line up next season probably on the 3rd line.

Minten will need time in AHL

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm going to be different and say both Cowan and Grebyonkin have a better chance of making the NHL roster than Minten

I'd give all 3 an opportunity to show there ready but I think Minten ends up in the AHL fighting for a middle 6 center spot with Quillan

I think one of Cowan or Grebyonkin will make the team though. I'm just not sure which one

The big kid who's been playing against men in the KHL or the kid who's done everything there is to do in junior

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How is it, that we know our prospects so well, that we can't even spell their names correctly?

Minten, not Minton, or Mutton.

They are prospects, neither has earned a spot on the roster for now. They'll both get a chance in pre-season, to earn a further trial of nine games in the regular season. Maybe they'll earn those games, maybe they won't. Maybe that nine games will lead to more, maybe it won't.

If they outperform whomever our depth guys are at that point, they are with the team... but the only thing dictating where they play next year, is themselves. If they earn it, they will, and if they don't, it's back to the OHL/AHL for them.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The leafs never do this because they never have 23 man rosters, but the way I would want it done is to have them both on the team and ease them into the lineup over the course of the season. They would each play maybe 30-40 games at most.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Minten I think may be ready for the third line role. I don't think he has anything else to learn and needs NHL experience now. Cowan I think you give him his 9 games or whatever it is and give him another year, unless he just plays lights out at training camp etc.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Where the hell is the idk option. For some reason I doubt everyone voting even follows the A or wherever these dudes play. I sure as hell don't care that much anymore

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I like Minton to play a full season in the AHL and start the following season there too.

He isn't going to be an upgrade on any 4th liner we will have in camp.
Let him earn his way up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That would be a good thing, but so would Stajan.

Get center who can play for a decade or more in the 2nd. round would be good.
Stajan would be fantastic but projecting a borderline prospect to have a 1000 game career is expecting a lot.

Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad