Line Combos: The Honest Truth About Minton and Cowen

Are Minton/Cowen ready for regular play in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I might be leaning on the conservative side with these 2 players. Both I believe can be solid parts of our future, but I think they both need seasoning in the AHL.

I'm curious. Where do you stand? Do you have them both penciled in to the Leafs' roster next season?

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This fanbase never stops overhyping prospects.

Just a few years ago our future D was going to be an elite combination of Dermott, LIljegren, Sandin and Holl.

I don't mind Minten and Cowan but these are not blue chip prospects. I'm not expecting either to be full time on the team next year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This fanbase never stops overhyping prospects.

Just a few years ago our future D was going to be an elite combination of Dermott, LIljegren, Sandin and Holl.

I don't mind Minten and Cowan but these are not blue chip prospects. I'm not expecting either to be full time on the team next year.

Minten sure, he’s more of a project, but Cowan is a fantastic prospect and no amount of your negativity is going to convince me otherwise.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's fine, there's lots of good reasons to believe so.

Cowan is a bit of a tough spot. In a perfect world maybe you’d give him the year in the AHL but that’s not an option. So I think for better or worse he will be a Leaf. I just don’t see what sending him back to the OHL really does for him. I think minus maybe going to the juniors he will be around the Leafs all year next year.

Reactions: arso40

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Cowan is a bit of a tough spot. In a perfect world maybe you’d give him the year in the AHL but that’s not an option. So I think for better or worse he will be a Leaf. I just don’t see what sending him back to the OHL really does for him.
There's that and there's also the role you'll want him in when he's in the NHL. Being that you can't really lean on Nylander/Tavares to be effective PK'ers, and Bertuzzi/Domi being rumored to re-sign aren't really those guys either, you need your bottom 6 to be basically all capable PK'ers. If Cowan's getting brought in you can't really have him int hat type of role with the limited minutes he'll already be getting.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Why put them together? Don't get it? Minten already had a taste, he's a year old and his role is such you can shield him more. Cowan has more upside, but he's younger and physically could need a touch of seasoning to fully develop. Again don't get lumping two different players into one question.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Minten will go down to the AHL. He’s able to, so I don’t see them rushing him. Cowan is going to start with the Leafs and possibly sent back I think. I just don’t think there’s much for Cowan to do in the OHL

I could see Minten having a Morgan Geekie kind of progression, which means a 2-3 year AHL apprenticeship, limited NHL time and slowly build that NHL momentum up, breaking out at 24 or so.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why put them together? Don't get it? Minten already had a taste, he's a year younger and his role is such you can shield him more. Cowan has more upside, but he's younger and physically could need a touch of seasoning to fully develop. Again don't get lumping two different players into one question.

Agreed, they also have different eligibilities. Minten can go to the AHL. Cowan cannot. I think Minten probably starts in the AHL as the #1 center. Lots of PP time, lots of PK time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Cowan looks like a legit prospect. He was very productive this year and seems to at least be pretty good at everything. Minten doesn't look like anything special at all though, ideally you're looking at a guy who can replace Kampf for less money

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I think Minten probably starts in the AHL as the #1 center. Lots of PP time, lots of PK time.
Most likely not.

That's not typically how these things work, unless you're a high end prospect, which Minten is not.

He'll probably see 2nd/3rd line duty and get mixed into the PK and PP.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I think minten is a dime a dozen prospect. Barely over a ppg in the RS and under it in the playoffs

Cowan is interesting, but I have the same level of expectations of him as knies. Come in and give us 30-40 points as a good third to fourth liner, and peak at maybe a 50 point player.

After Robertson, I’ve completely given up reacting positively to any CHL production

I think both aren’t ready, but I’d give them games to see what they can do, just don’t burn the contracts

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Expecting both to make the team seems just a tad too optimistic. It'd be wonderful to have one of them on the team (and that would likely have to be Cowan since the AHL isn't going to be an option for him). Can't say I'm absolutely banking on the possibility though.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Seen a lot of people overrate Minten last year but not as much this year. I’d be surprised if he has the game to be anything more than a 4C who can fill in at 3C ala Kampf. I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t see much there. I’d let him start if he’s insulated by vets but if he can’t make anything happen I’d get him down to AHL to work on his offensive game. The worst thing for him is what Keefe did, put him on an all rookie line. So brain dead. There could be a 3C there with enough dedication.

Cowan is different, he could be our next Robertson or a mini Marner time will tell. I give him games to start the year if he shows up dialled in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad