The Hockey News Annual Top 50 Players in the NHL for 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Look at most people top 5, 10, 15, 25 etcs, lists, not many goalies on their besides a few exceptional ones

Don’t really get what you’re saying here. There are five other players on the ice besides the G.

Why would they have a dominant share of any ranking? Yes, C’s and then D’s make up at least half of any rankings list, but those two positions also cover half the players on ice.

I think most top 25 lists would have 3-4 goalies. That’s a perfectly expected amount.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Matthews scores the most goals in 30+ years while being a Selke finalist and is 7th? More click bait hot take crap meant to get people talking
It’s almost like scoring is up greatly.

We just had a season with 2 guys getting 140+ points, and neither of them was McDavid.

Reactions: jfhabs

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
As much as I love Demko... and regardless of whether HN was aware he might not start the season... he's too rickety to be rated that high.
OTOH, Miller has an argument to be listed at 15 instead.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Don’t really get what you’re saying here. There are five other players on the ice besides the G.

Why would they have a dominant share of any ranking? Yes, C’s and then D’s make up at least half of any rankings list, but those two positions also cover half the players on ice.

I think most top 25 lists would have 3-4 goalies. That’s a perfectly expected amount.
Yep 3 on the list compiled about a decade ago

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's that time of year again. Just received the Yearbook in the mail, which has also combined the annual Fantasy Guide to make one 226-page magazine.

I can't post the full list due to copyright and site rules, but I will post the top-15 for discussiomln purposes. Purchase the magazine if you'd like to see the full list.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Nathan MacKinnon
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Cale Makar
5. Aleksander Barkov
6. Nikita Kucherov
7. Auston Matthews
8. David Pastrnak
9. Quinn Hughes
10. Artemi Panarin
11. Connor Hellebuyck
12. Adam Fox
13. Igor Shesterkin
14. Sidney Crosby
15. Thatcher Demko
Demko at #15 invalidates the entire list for me

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
While it's true that Dryden never won the Hart, he did have a Conn Smyhte so I decided to include him.
Price is no where near Dryden and Roy. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it.

Go take a look at era adjusted goalie stats. It even farther than you think.

Reactions: Realgud and um

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Hellebuyck has failed to put up .900 in the playoffs twice in 6 playoff runs. He's a career .911 playoff goalie, even after two disastrous playoffs in a row.

You're also talking up Matthews, primarily a goalscorer, who has scored 23 goals in 55 playoff games.

Have to be consistent.:dunno:
34 goal per 82 games pace…

Matthew’s has been the 1C for a team that has won 1 playoff series in 8 years.

He deserves some criticism.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
granted these things are always subjective and just meant to drive discussion but to me I’d suggest Shesterkin is the top player on the Rangers. Sure Quick had a nice season but once Shesterkin turned it on for them in the second half it made a big difference for them.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
These rank players articles never fail to get clicks and comments…

…but I am personally so bored by them.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I meant that he didn't play half the games dude. And was pulled by the doctors mid game in another one. Still had the primary assist on the only goal they scored in game 7 too playing injured

Steve Yzerman won a Stanley Cup playing with a knee that was literally mush. The best players find a way to be their best when the games matter most. Matthews simply does not. But bow howdy can he score 3 or 4 goals in a regular season game.

In terms of talent . .. sure top 5 in the league. In terms of "the best" he simply is not there.

Sorry buddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad