The Hockey Hall of Fame needs more Non-North American players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should there be more Non-North American players in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
There is an absolutely huge discrepancy in representation at the Hockey Hall of Fame with the majority of players being born or raised in Canada. It makes me wonder if there should be a separate entity of the Hall of Fame that celebrates the careers of players not born and raised in North America and induct 10 or so players that haven't been elected yet to balance things out a bit more. I was born in 83 but I feel like Alex Mogilny, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, Tomas Vokoun, Pavol Demitra, Jere Lehtinen, Arturs Irbe, Ziggy Palffy and of course some others are absolutely among the best players ever from their respective countries. Canada seems over represented while other countries lack of inductees and in some cases no inductees at all appears to be an oversight.

• Love
Reactions: jcbio11

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
There is an absolutely huge discrepancy in representation at the Hockey Hall of Fame with the majority of players being born or raised in Canada. It makes me wonder if there should be a separate entity of the Hall of Fame that celebrates the careers of players not born and raised in North America and induct 10 or so players that haven't been elected yet to balance things out a bit more. I was born in 83 but I feel like Alex Mogilny, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, Tomas Vokoun, Pavol Demitra, Jere Lehtinen, Arturs Irbe and of course some others are absolutely among the best players ever from their respective countries. Canada seems over represented while other countries lack of inductees and in some cases no inductees at all appears to be an oversight.

I agree that they need to recognize more international players (mostly soviets), and I disagree that Bondra, Vokoun, Irbe (lol) & Demitra belong in the hall of fame

Gonchar is borderline to me, Mogilny is widely discussed as an omission and it's surprising that they haven't inducted Lehtinen

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I agree that they need to recognize more international players (mostly soviets), and I disagree that Bondra, Vokoun, Irbe (lol) & Demitra belong in the hall of fame

Gonchar is borderline to me, Mogilny is widely discussed as an omission and it's surprising that they haven't inducted Lehtinen
I disagree on Bondra. There are only (10) 500+ Goal scorers not in the Hall of Fame. Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Jagr and Marleau are not eligible yet. They are all 1st Ballot HOF'ers except for Marleau who will get in because of the games played record. Bondra is 13th all time in era adjusted goals per game (tied with Selanne and Beliveau).

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I disagree on Bondra. There are only (10) 500+ Goal scorers not in the Hall of Fame. Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Jagr and Marleau are not eligible yet. They are all 1st Ballot HOF'ers except for Marleau who will get in because of the games played record. Bondra is 13th all time in era adjusted goals per game (tied with Selanne and Beliveau).

Bondra is also a 1 trick pony. No AS-1 or AS-2 nods and never Top 10 in points or PPG

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
There is an absolutely huge discrepancy in representation at the Hockey Hall of Fame with the majority of players being born or raised in Canada. It makes me wonder if there should be a separate entity of the Hall of Fame that celebrates the careers of players not born and raised in North America and induct 10 or so players that haven't been elected yet to balance things out a bit more. I was born in 83 but I feel like Alex Mogilny, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, Tomas Vokoun, Pavol Demitra, Jere Lehtinen, Arturs Irbe, Ziggy Palffy and of course some others are absolutely among the best players ever from their respective countries. Canada seems over represented while other countries lack of inductees and in some cases no inductees at all appears to be an oversight.
None of these guys are absolute "musts" for the Hall of Fame, all of them would be lower quartiles, and three of these would be the weakest post-expansion HHOFer. Miikka Kiprusoff and Pekka Rinne would also be MUCH better choices if you wanted to raise European goalie candidates.

Last edited:
Reactions: rnhaas

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
If Mike Gartner is in the Hall, Bondra at least has some kind of argument, though I agree with others he is not a must.

The Europeans who should really be a must are Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, Vasiliev and Martinec...with Suchy, Holecek, Krutov, Kasatonov, Hlinka, Yakushev, and some others deserving a long look.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If Mike Gartner is in the Hall, Bondra at least has some kind of argument, though I agree with others he is not a must.

The Europeans who should really be a must are Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, Vasiliev and Martinec...with Suchy, Holecek, Krutov, Kasatonov, Hlinka, Yakushev, and some others deserving a long look.

I mean, yeah Gartner and Bondra are pretty much the same guy. But I can see why Gartner got in, its a lot harder to ignore 708 goals than 503

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I’ll agree with everyone else- you’ve got the right idea, but the wrong examples.

Reactions: MXD

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Bondra is also a 1 trick pony. No AS-1 or AS-2 nods and never Top 10 in points or PPG
If you're Peter Bondra on the Capitals from the mid 90's - mid 00's who are you passing the puck to? His job was to score goals at a time when scoring was at an all-time low and did so over 500 times. He was an excellent penalty killer as well and led the league in short handed goals from 94-04. As far as 1st and 2nd team AS nods go, he lost out to hall of famers every year at a stacked RW position (Jagr, Neely, Selanne, Bure, Hull, Iginla, St. Louis, Alfredsson) or guys that had great individual seasons but not the consistency (Guerin, Bertuzzi, Heatley). He should absolutely be in the conversation. I wonder if Brodeur, Hasek and Roy think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
6 of the last 11 male hockey player inductees were European. Since 2014, 13 European players have been inducted compared to 14 Canadians. And that includes some players whose prime years were outside the NHL like Yakushev, Nedomansky and Makarov.

There used to be a bias against European players by the Hall, but that's in the past as they've clearly taken steps to correct that. There are many other past European players deserving on induction, but the Hall is on the right track.

The one I will say is that the European players who have been inducted are obvious choices. There hasn't been a European version of Andreychuk, Housley or Lowe get in yet. But the solution to that is to stop inducting weak candidates, not to start inducting weak European candidates like Irbe.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
If you're Peter Bondra on the Capitals from the mid 90's - mid 00's who are you passing the puck to? His job was to score goals at a time when scoring was at an all-time low and did so over 500 times. He was an excellent penalty killer as well and led the league in short handed goals from 94-04. As far as 1st and 2nd team AS nods go, he lost out to hall of famers every year at a stacked RW position (Jagr, Neely, Selanne, Bure, Hull, Iginla, St. Louis, Alfredsson) or guys that had great individual seasons but not the consistency (Guerin, Bertuzzi, Heatley). He should absolutely be in the conversation. I wonder if Brodeur, Hasek and Roy think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

You're right he lost out to those guys. But despite winning the rocket richard twice he received no all-star votes at all. That's pretty telling

edit: I think I misunderstood

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Big Yak is already in.
Ach...I knew I was gonna do some shit like that just firing off the top of my head. I also forgot to mention Firsov, who should probably be first on the list, but never would be,

We still navel-gaze 1972 like crazy in north america (not that Yak isn't deserving).

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nearly everyone in this section is going to agree, but it isn't really the players from the OP who need to get in just for the sake of some artificial balance. It's the great Soviets and Czechs from before the iron curtain fell, plus a few of the legendary players who likely were not among the best in the world but were hugely significant in their countries.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I also forgot to mention Firsov, who should probably be first on the list, but never would be,

We still navel-gaze 1972 like crazy in north america (not that Yak isn't deserving).
Firsov, yes, absolutely, I failed to point that out myself. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that even players like Milan Novy and Vladimir Dzurilla are more likely to get in than Firsov (mostly because they gave impressive performances in the 1976 Canada Cup).

Reactions: Sturminator

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
You're right he lost out to those guys. But despite winning the rocket richard twice he received no all-star votes at all. That's pretty telling

edit: I think I misunderstood
You are entirely incorrect, in fact there were multiple years that he received votes for RW and LW in the same vote.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You are entirely incorrect, in fact there were multiple years that he received votes for RW and LW in the same vote.

1675963845975.png

Educate me then, because they're not on hockey reference

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

To the bolded, he received a single vote for LW in those years. Very cool

From the sticky

94-95 - 4th in RW (on 6 ballots)
95-96 - 5th in RW (on 7 ballots)
96-97 - 5th in RW (on 3 ballots)
97-98 - 4th in RW (on 24 ballots)
97-98 - 10th in LW (on 1 ballot
98-99 - Nothing
99-00 - Nothing
00-01 - 6th in RW (on 7 ballots)
00-01 - 9th in LW (on 1 ballot)
01-02 - 14th in RW (on 1 ballot)

And you think this is a player worthy of the hall of fame?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's crazy you can lead the league in goals but only get 6th in hart voting and be voted 4th at your own position :laugh:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's crazy you can lead the league in goals but only get 6th in hart voting and be voted 4th at your own position :laugh:

The crazy part is that he wasn't top 10 in points any of those seasons. The writers (correctly) care more about points finishes than goals finishes.

That said, I'm not sure what Gartner really has on Bondra, other than playing in the 1980s, but the HHOF committee clearly cares about raw numbers.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The crazy part is that he wasn't top 10 in points any of those seasons. The writers (correctly) care more about points finishes than goals finishes.

That said, I'm not sure what Gartner really has on Bondra, other than playing in the 1980s, but the HHOF committee clearly cares about raw numbers.

I agree that the HHOF has low standards for some players, but if we use the Dick Duff line then a lot of players aren't in the HHOF that should be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad