Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
In typical Oiler fashion we’ll be .500 at the 21 game mark and then play .750 hockey the rest of the way and miss out on winning the division by 2 points and the Conference by 3 points.
We can follow the same pattern as last year for all I care as long as we get to the finals again but this time NOT LOSE IT !!!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Valhallis

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
That's not bad luck, this team has no offensive creativity at the moment. We rarely generate rush chances and our main strategy on the cycle is to get it back to the d-man for a point shot and "hope something good happens".

Yes, and that will happen when you revamp a third of your top six and 2 of your 3 d pairings.

This team will get it back. It hasn't just gone away.

Reactions: TB12

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
3-4 more and nobody'll care anymore tbh.

Also funnily enough this is a worse start than last year; the Oilers at least spanked Nashville 6-1 in their 3rd game.
That was on the road though. And after 3 games can't really say a worse start. They were 2 and 9 after first 11 games. That is a huge hole just to get back to 500. We play Philly tomorrow which is an important game just to get us going. Then we play nashville on the road and we usually play well there.

It’s bad karma for hiring Bowman, the hockey gods are punishing the Oil
Just was stupid and bad optics. Many gm's could do just a good a job without the baggage and negative perception. Jackson is brain dead for that hiring

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That was on the road though. And after 3 games can't really say a worse start. They were 2 and 9 after first 11 games. That is a huge hole just to get back to 500. We play Philly tomorrow which is an important game just to get us going. Then we play nashville on the road and we usually play well there.
Yea it's only technically worse through 3 games. Ironically game 4 last year was a loss to the Flyers. Then McDavid got hurt against the Jets the next game (though I think he was already hurt but he got hurt "enough" to have to start sitting), so hopefully neither of those things happen this year at least.

Reactions: kevy9999

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I never notice Petey in a game. It seems to me he cries on ice and on the bench and he looks for places behind net to run and hide during play. What does he actually do, can you tell us what he's good at and it always looks like he's doing nothing, and I never noticed him in playoffs and I did notice Vancouver fans chanting his name to action, and hey, we all really want to know what you think of his contract. Too much or not enough?

Nuge is producing and bringing more than poor Petey at half the contractual price. Go away.
Oh ya I can't stand Pettersson. I wish we'd let him go and kept Lindholm. His body language alone drives me insane. Especially when they have Miller who deserves his contract. I think EP is better on bad teams or non hockey markets. There's been a lot of players like that in the past. Dominate on like Phoenix but suck everywhere else.

But I'm asking about RNH

Last edited:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
He is very overrated. Soft as toilet paper. Overrated for his "2 way game". Basically mooches off of the top guys.

He "does the little things well" is the best way to describe him I guess.

He also took a discount to stay, so he isn't overpaid. I guess more of a "glue guy" maybe. He cannot drive a line whatsoever.

I guess it has been shown statistically that the PP is better with him on it then off as well.
Thanks for the response.
Yah that's more what I was wondering. Given his draft status and just the fact I haven't paid close enough attention I wondered if he kinda became more of a glue guy who filled in defensively for his more offense first line mates or what.

When he came in was he lacking the D part of his game and just over coached to over emphasize it now?

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Good
Jeff Skinner (as advertised, which is what you can expect)

Okay
Corey Perry (he is what he is and had an unfair goal taken off)
Derek Ryan (this is a bad sign)
Mattias Ekholm (solid dman continues to be solid enough)
Troy Stetcher (has a way of getting a puck through traffic. Our best RHD tonight. Good luck on the bench/Bako)

Bad
Reffing
Defence and PP coaching
Nearly everyone else
*Shout out to Bouchard, who is dropping dollars/day on his future contract

Atrocious
Travis Dermott
Darrell Nurse (I was gonna give him a special category, but he was the only physical player on this team, so he's one step above where he really should be)

Lines 1 and 2 don't have a physical force with Hyman seemingly neutured and Arvidsson approximately 4'5". McDavid and Draisaitl are being played physical every shift and look like shit by the third. Line 3 has stone-hands McBrown and stone-hands McPodracing, with a seemingly cooked Uncle Rico. Your top pairing RHD has a turnover per shift and is still allergic to defence. Your second pairing is barely AHL calibre right now. Your third pairing is a revolving door of players. Your backup has regressed to his career status as AHL backup, and your starter can't make a key save. What do you do?
Punt

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Thanks for the response.
Yah that's more what I was wondering. Given his draft status and just the fact I haven't paid close enough attention I wondered if he kinda became more of a glue guy who filled in defensively for his more offense first line mates or what.

When he came in was he lacking the D part of his game and just over coached to over emphasize it now?
He is basically not bad by any means, but leaves you wanting more. SOmebody still has to finish and he somehow got a 100 point season recently lol. That takes some skill. He should be a lock for 60+ though.

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Early in the game McD makes an end to end rush, gets a shot off, the puck is long off his stick, and somehow he gets stapled into the end boards, and somehow thats allowed because its some Oilers hating refs. McD was trying to get explanation how that was allowed. Later in game McD explained the same thing and Drai did too. The Oilers players practically carrying around the rule book that in the NHL doesn't exist because NHL...

I mean these are your top playes getting stapled and possibly injured on late hits. By scrubs, and the refs just getting their rocks off. Small people wanting to feel more important than the game.
Thank you
Play was dead. Shot was taken. Smothered by V. Whistle. McD coasting already around the net..... then a cheap gratuitous freebie taken on him.

Right. In front. Of ref.

Also...
What's the ruling on a challenged play re: penalties in the time frame that gets replayed. I mean ok, Ryan goal was off side fine, but what about the trip just before he scored?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thank you
Play was dead. Shot was taken. Smothered by V. Whistle. McD coasting already around the net..... then a cheap gratuitous freebie taken on him.

Right. In front. Of ref.

Also...
What's the ruling on a challenged play re: penalties in the time frame that gets replayed. I mean ok, Ryan goal was off side fine, but what about the trip just before he scored?
I was arguing with my brother about that Ryan trip during the game. I think we settled on it technically never happened because the off side ended the play. No idea if we were right or not because it seems every rule in this league is open to interpretation now and rides on the whims of whoever gets the final say that night.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It will turn, but I am so disappointed in our leadership.

Us and Colorado are down at like an 0.820 PDO

Their goalie stinks and so do ours
See, I'm not because this is exactly what they do every year so I'm not surprised one bit by this. McDavid and Draisaitl are incredible players, all timers, but they aren't the best leaders. No slight on them really, not everybody can be a Toews or a Messier, but these guys just aren't natural born leaders so we see this lack of urgency from the team quite often as a result.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Shitting on Nurse and Dermott is low hanging fruit.

Why aren’t we being more critical of McDavid and Draisaitl?

Combined they are 1-2-3, a minus NINE with 8 SOG.

That’s f***ing embarrassing.

Hyman and Nuge have even been worse than that
Nurse makes almost as much as Hyman and RNH combined

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad