Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
When you own season tickets you get the whole season, so yeah there’s that.

Not panicked, concerned and frustrated is the right words for it. Margins are thing in this league and they are pissing away the first 10 percent of their home games with barely a whimper. Keep at it and then you get to last year territory quick and they completely beat the odds last year to do what they did from where they were. They are tempting fate trying that trick twice.

Calgary looked way more skilled and composed for long stretches of the game tonight. That’s quite the indictment.
You don't have to go to every game but I admire your resilience. This one I think was in the mail. Mind you I've had a bad feeling about this seasons start and being with how the team has looked throughout preseason and now.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Lost track who owns all our draft picks? After all it is Hockeys Future!

I try not to think of all the picks we gave away to move out bad contracts such as Zack kassian. Utah has our 2025 2nd rounder for a guy who is now one of out Pro scouts. Then we have all the prospects we traded who are now on other rosters..

It is the price we pay for being in a win now mode but when you look at the overall return? Asset management was something that Holland did not understand

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Goaltending had nothing to do with that pathetic game, and especially not that pathetic power play to start the third. Putting every single game on goaltending when we're averaging a single goal for per game is absolute madness.
Yes, but when you’ve had two goals called back and the momentum is starting to switch, it’s imperative not to give up the next goal. Which is something Skinner does far too often.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I try not to think of all the picks we gave away to move out bad contracts such as Zack kassian. Utah has our 2025 2nd rounder for a guy who is now one of out Pro scouts. Then we have all the prospects we traded who are now on other rosters..

It is the price we pay for being in a win now mode but when you look at the overall return? Asset management was something that Holland did not understand
Honestly might as well fire off every single pick we have since we never pick anyone of value anymore.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, but when you’ve had two goals called back and the momentum is starting to switch, it’s imperative not to give up the next goal. Which is something Skinner does far too often.
Go score another goal then. Enough excuses. They had a PP to open the third and they did sweet f*** all with it. Aren't we supposed to have the most dangerous offense in the league?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Goaltending had nothing to do with that pathetic game, and especially not that pathetic power play to start the third. Putting every single game on goaltending when we're averaging a single goal for per game is absolute madness.
Both things are sinking us. Not enough goals, too many GA. But they are also often related stories. If one looks at the goaltending this club has had for the last decade maybe some of the core here start getting fatigued with having to outwork every team every night.

We've also been goalied every night too so there is that.

In anycase you won't win much with a Starter sporting a .700 save %. Nobody wins those games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Both things are sinking us. Not enough goals, too many GA. But they are also often related stories. If one looks at the goaltending this club has had for the last decade maybe some of the core here start getting fatigued with having to outwork every team every night.

In anycase you won't win much with a Starter sporting a .700 save %. Nobody wins those games.
You don't win games when you score a single goal either. If we're afraid of Dan Vladar and Petr Mrazek then just forfeit the year.

At some point it isn't "getting goalied" when it happens "every night". This is the Calgary f***ing Flames, this isn't some defensive powerhouse. Scoring one goal on that team is downright disgraceful.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Which was what Pickard had yesterday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I could see that.

Another is that I think Mcdavid is a bit timid in his approach to new situations, even going back to his rookie year where it took him a few games to really start producing, which isnt abnormal for most, but it is for a generational talent. Seems like every series we drop game 1 at least, poor starts to games for years, poor starts to seasons recently. Almost like he wants the game to come to him, or get a read on it? Idk, maybe I'm out to lunch but it seems to be a trend.

But the team isn't good enough for everyone to take that approach, and he is the leader so it can't be something he instills in the rest of the guys, even if unknowingly.
Can't really agree with this. Not timid, not at all. Indeed I'm fascinated how personalities like McD can so easily seem to handle the stress of pro sports and really doing that from the start. McD is so good at the PR aspect particularly that he's the poster boy of the NHL. He's head and shoulders confident in himself and in his psyche. He's a mozart in that regard, if you meet somebody like McD you really wonder how its even possible to be so mature at age 15, 18, 21 etc. Rather than what you said McD is EXPERT at acclimating. One of the things that helps him be so great.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You don't win games when you score a single goal either. If we're afraid of Dan Vladar and Petr Mrazek then just forfeit the year.

At some point it isn't "getting goalied" when it happens "every night". This is the Calgary f***ing Flames, this isn't some defensive powerhouse. Scoring one goal on that team is downright disgraceful.
We'll let you forfeit the year. You're good at that typically.

I'll heed McD stating that this group is resilient, doesn't give up, and will recover.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We'll let you forfeit the year. You're good at that typically.

I'll heed McD stating that this group is resilient, doesn't give up, and will recover.
I could care less what any of them say. Actions speak louder than words.

You're content to simply blame Skinner every single time he plays. He would've had to pitch a shutout for us to win.

By the way the Flames had much better fancies than we did. Hmm.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Also people will complain about the goaltending and defense, and rightfully so, but they’ve scored 3 goals in 3 games.

McDavid, Hyman and RNH look cooked and Jeff Skinner is the only forward driving play. That’s f***ed.
Go Jinner!

Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

You're content to simply blame Skinner every single time he plays. He would've had to pitch a shutout for us to win.

Actions like getting to 7th game of a SC final. you packed it in last year at this time too. Team has the ability to bounce back. I still don't see this as a first place team or a SC final team, they need some help at TDL.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Actions like getting to 7th game of a SC final. you packed it in last year at this time too. Team has the ability to bounce back. I still don't see this as a first place team or a SC final team, they need some help at TDL.
They did make that far, but they didn't win. And they look much worse than they did last year. They're wasting a light schedule with losses to teams at home they should beat.

They look like they didn't learn a damn thing from that playoff run or that they even care about getting back to that point.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011

But isn’t that what you did last year with Campbell? At a time of the year when both goalies were equally trash?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
But isn’t that what you did last year with Campbell? At a time of the year when both goalies were equally trash?
Campbell sucked from day one. Skinner was supposed to be brought along more slowly but thanks to reality slapping us in the face Skinner was forced into the starter's role. Then we gave him his starter's job back at the start of last season and that didn't even last half a game and he couldn't be bought out fast enough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I posted the link for the GYB podcast for tonights game in the podcast thread.

Rishaug and Strudwick bring up an excellent point.
What is the identity of this team?
They arent physical.
They arent defensive.
They arent fast.
They arent young.
Assuming they get their shit together...what the hell are they?

An old team with offence?
What do they fall back on when they arent scoring?

They also bring up Draisaitl...his lazy selfish penalty helped to turn this game over to the Flames.
What kind of a leader takes that penalty in a tie game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad