OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Biomedical Engineering and Modeling & Simulation Engineering. Research in medical simulation, computer-assisted surgery, and geriatric fall injury mitigation. It's common to see profs keep going into their 70s and 80s. A colleague retired around 70 recently, and I found it shocking. I was thinking: "what the hell are you doing? You'll be bored!" On campus, we're kings (to some degree). At home, our wives boss us around.

I'm also a late bloomer, so I appreciate it even more. So I want to savor it and keep going. Moreover, I have two startups that I'm incubating, which will also keep me busy.
got tired just reading this... amazing

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
do i have a choice? :laugh:

it takes the edge off but drives me crazy some days. lol. I'm the opposite, on fire and passionate. my idea of meditation is sprints in the park

are you hiring? ;)
Not yet. I need STTR funding to develop the prototypes. A few years away. I have several friends who have been successful though, so that drives me too.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Remind me to never argue with @VirginiaMtlExpat aka Rainman aka Will Hunting
I try not to get dragged down into silly arguments. I also believe in this community as a force for good, so I don't go looking for trouble. My main contribution lies in derailing threads.

That said, I also don't suffer fools who go out of their way to antagonize me. I have an active ignore button .

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
I try not to get dragged down into silly arguments. I also believe in this community as a force for good, so I don't go looking for trouble. My main contribution lies in derailing threads.

That said, I also don't suffer fools who go out of their way to antagonize me. I have an active ignore button .

Rumour has it I'm the most ignored user on the board, I'm honored to have remained off of your list.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Rumour has it I'm the most ignored user on the board, I'm honored to have remained off of your list.
I don't have a problem with contrarian views, since I see myself as a contrarian. I tend to ignore those who insult me wantonly, with no provocation on my part, which does not apply to you. I take seriously the Mark Twain maxim: Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference... Twain would love the ignore button.

Reactions: Runner77 and Habs

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm with Electrical & Computer Engineering. The last department any uni would want to abolish. Also in charge of Biomedical Engineering graduate program. Probably second-last.

Last, working on two startups. Hopefully one of them hits and keeps me busy no matter what happens in my academic setting.
I was leaning more towards the '' keep going as long as you can,have purpose '' type of thingy, regardless, good luck with the projects and hopefully the projects we envision will be beneficial.:crossfing

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I was leaning more towards the '' keep going as long as you can,have purpose '' type of thingy, regardless, good luck with the projects and hopefully the projects we envision will be beneficial.:crossfing
Thanks, Angus. I enjoy your guitar riffs. Especially Thunderstruck, repurposed for that Battleship scene. No one wears the school uniform better than you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks, Angus. I enjoy your guitar riffs. Especially Thunderstruck, repurposed for that Battleship scene. No one wears the school uniform better than you.
Happy to hear that! FYI, will be changing my surname to ''old '':wally
wLzJT2OwUDBbqSgg.jpg
images.jpg

If you're ever in Aalten NL,, drop in! plenty of room!:nod:

1280px-House_Angus_Young,_Aalten,_NL.jpg

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Happy to hear that! FYI, will be changing my surname to ''old '':wally
View attachment 882668View attachment 882670
If you're ever in Aalten NL,, drop in! plenty of room!:nod:

View attachment 882671
Unusual to pick the Netherlands. I've traveled there a lot. I spent a summer there in my teens, in suburbs of Amsterdam, in 1980, and later lived in downtown Amsterdam while working in flight sim with KLM, in 1988. After that I went to grad school. The Dutch are awesome.

Reactions: angusyoung

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone finish Wheel of Time? Am I crazy or does this writer over describe everything. Like I don't really want to know pages worth of details on furniture and clothing. Book 7 now so too late for me LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Anyone hear of this:

Sanitation, huh? Probably gross.

Yes I have . It's part of a series. Interesting at a high level.

May I suggest Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror"? A true masterpiece. A first rate historian and terrific writer. It introduces you to " The terrible worm in an iron cocoon."

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Unusual to pick the Netherlands. I've traveled there a lot. I spent a summer there in my teens, in suburbs of Amsterdam, in 1980, and later lived in downtown Amsterdam while working in flight sim with KLM, in 1988. After that I went to grad school. The Dutch are awesome.
Unusual? cue the Audrey Hepburn scene from Roman Holiday, delightful film.:heart:

b4f488c40dd18697c9b28bbebb60106b.gif

FYI, my Gregory Peck impersonation rivals my Joan Hickson as Miss Marple.:nod:

Interesting interview with Audrey Hepburn, was in the Dutch resistance.

Not unusual but actually logical if a person is discerning and sophisticated that enjoys a high standard of living in an environment that is rather safe and is well organized and structured, it also helps if the wife and her family are from Aalten and have business interests locally.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in the Netherlands, sounds like a CAE opp.

Reactions: Runner77

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Unusual? cue the Audrey Hepburn scene from Roman Holiday, delightful film.:heart:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in the Netherlands, sounds like a CAE opp.
For me, "unusual" cues Tom Jones.

I made a profit on my per diem while there enough to quit CAE and go to grad school, which changed my life. Going to grad school, twice, were two of the best decisions I ever made. I wish that I had done it sooner, but better late than never. Meanwhile, I have fond memories of Amsterdam, both during my teens and my mid-20s. I'd happily visit again, this time with wife and son in tow.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
For me, "unusual" cues Tom Jones.

I made a profit on my per diem while there enough to quit CAE and go to grad school, which changed my life. Going to grad school, twice, were two of the best decisions I ever made. I wish that I had done it sooner, but better late than never. Meanwhile, I have fond memories of Amsterdam, both during my teens and my mid-20s. I'd happily visit again, this time with wife and son in tow.

If I'm not mistaken, it was not unusual for women to throw their panties on stage at Tom Jones shows. I never studied the aerodynamics of a panty toss, but suspect they must have been close to the stage for success.:dunno:

If you intend on going to the Netherlands, don't diddle daddle as the rate of rising tides and global warming the nation might soon be totally submerged, in theory a solution may be feasible.:crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00