Movies: The giallo (gialli)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Knocked a few of these out over the weekend.

The Killer is One of 13. Perhaps a debatable inclusion? Shudder classifies it as such. There is a black gloved killer moving around a circle of well-to-do men and attractive women. A pretty good title. It's an Agatha Christie And Then There Were None set-up. A woman invites a group of friends and associates to here remote home on the anniversary of her husband's death and at the opening dinner reveals ... ONE OF THEM KILLED HIM! Ok. Good set-up. But this is all concept, no delivery. It doesn't work as a compelling giallo or a Christie-style locked room. It's an hour of discussion before anything happens and once stuff starts to go down it's still only barely rises above tedious. If I had a kid, I'd just throw this on and let them fall asleep to it.

Torso. Starts strong and I like the idea of the last 30 minutes or so even if I didn't fully love the execution. I hate to come across as a degenerate but there's a big moment of violence toward the end it simply cuts away from. Now the logistics of said scene might have been hard to actually film and justify. But it was a bit of a jarring cut to me. Oh that just happened? It's the middle stretch that really dragged this down for me. Solid enough but I'm not sure I hold it in the same regard as its biggest fans.

Strip Nude for Your Killer. Edwige Fenech is one of the most beautiful women to have ever walked this earth. This one delivers the goods in a very basic way, so to speak, but other than Fenech's presence and a pathetic slob with a deflated sex doll I don't imagine this is going to stick with me in any meaningful way. Bit of a by-the-numbers affair. I do like to imagine the writer of Home Alone watched this and lifted the idea of an intruder turning on water faucets for the Wet Bandits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad