GDT: The game. The game! Vs Ducks. 7pm

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
How did Goose look on Smith's wing?

How did Smith look?

The rest I'm not too fussed about.
Gushchin didn't seem like he was on the ice that much or if he was, he wasn't doing much with it

It’s the right side on defense. It needs a massive upgrade to make this team competitive when the kids up front start figuring it out.
The left side is really not very good either. You really don't want Jake Walman to stand out in a good way on your defense because he looks competent with the puck on his stick.

Reactions: coooldude

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

How did Smith look?

I liked both of them. I'm not sure they're natural fits for each other but they played fine.

I really feel like Smith just improves little by little every single game he plays. He had a couple of really nice disruptive defensive plays today, showed more confidence carrying the puck under pressure, and it's already obvious he'll be a PP wiz sooner rather than later.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

How did Smith look?

They only created one real opportunity but didn’t give much up either. They’re at least solid tonight without the puck and not getting rubbed out easily but the offense wasn’t there except one sequence. I suspect that Gush will get another chance but probably not with Smith.

Reactions: coooldude

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They only created one real opportunity but didn’t give much up either. They’re at least solid tonight without the puck and not getting rubbed out easily but the offense wasn’t there except one sequence. I suspect that Gush will get another chance but probably not with Smith.
Really who I think complements Gushchin well would be Wennberg. Unfortunate that we aren't gonna get that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Really who I think complements Gushchin well would be Wennberg. Unfortunate that we aren't gonna get that.
It would've been nice to see them swap Wennberg and Smith. I thought Smith's game tonight would've worked really well with how Eklund and Toffoli were playing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Smith didn't impress me much. He was cherry picking and lazy. Clearly he was 100% focused on offence, but come on dude, put in some effort into other aspects. He's obviously super talented and I can't wait to see how he develops, but he disappointed me tonight.

Reactions: Trow

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I just got home from the game:

1. Will smith is not hnl ready. Several times guys skated right by him for good offensive chances. He’s obviously got some skill, drew a trip, and looks good on po, but the overall game isn’t nhl ready. I’d rather he be #1C in the ahl to start.

2. I’ve never seen so many terrible giveaways (well, since last March I suppose.) they have no defensive structure and no breakout. I think the shakes came out of the own zone with speed and numbers two or three times all game. They don’t skate hard away from the puck. It’s a big problem, the only exception was Cardwell…

3. The goaltending is solid.
4. Matt Benning is soooo bad.

5. Wennberg has a rough one with he puck exploding off his stick over and over. (Funny note: he gave my son his stick at the end of the game. Guess he agreed :))

6. The sharks really miss granlund and Celebrini. However, when fully healthy, they will have two good lines. gush needs to play the wing with toffoli and celly and the lund line reunited.

7. I like Walman. He’s quality. Nice addition there.

8. Cardwell is not quite ready either. But soon…

Opening roster lines if I was coach:

Celebrini-toffoli- guchkin
Granlund-zett-eklund
Weinberg-dyllandrea-kostin
Sturm-goodrow-grundstrom
Bailey or whoever

Walman-ruuta
Ferraro-ceci
Banning-thrun
Thompson

Reactions: Trow

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

1. Will smith is not hnl ready. Several times guys skated right by him for good offensive chances. He’s obviously got some skill, drew a trip, and looks good on po, but the overall game isn’t nhl ready. I’d rather he be #1C in the ahl to start.
I'm glad someone else saw this as well. I still think it's worth giving him a few games in the NHL RS to see if he can handle the real deal.

Granlund-zett-eklund
Sturm-goodrow-grundstrom
Bailey or whoever

Walman-ruuta
Ferraro-ceci
Banning-thrun
Thompson

Why don't people center the center in their lines?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

2. I’ve never seen so many terrible giveaways (well, since last March I suppose.) they have no defensive structure and no breakout. I think the shakes came out of the own zone with speed and numbers two or three times all game. They don’t skate hard away from the puck. It’s a big problem, the only exception was Cardwell…

3. The goaltending is solid.
4. Matt Benning is soooo bad.

5. Wennberg has a rough one with he puck exploding off his stick over and over. (Funny note: he gave my son his stick at the end of the game. Guess he agreed :))

6. The sharks really miss granlund and Celebrini. However, when fully healthy, they will have two good lines. gush needs to play the wing with toffoli and celly and the lund line reunited.

7. I like Walman. He’s quality. Nice addition there.

8. Cardwell is not quite ready either. But soon…

Opening roster lines if I was coach:

Granlund-zett-eklund
Sturm-goodrow-grundstrom
Bailey or whoever

Walman-ruuta
Ferraro-ceci
Banning-thrun
Thompson
I more or less agree with all of this. Cardwell stuck out positively for me, but he's not NHL ready. I liked Walman, but acknowledge his flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad