Post-Series Talk: The Florida Panthers (A1) defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning (WC1) 4 games to 1

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I realize Tampa is past their peak but I'm kind of surprised how this series went down. Saw one of the analytics accounts on twitter (JFresh I think) say that in a nutshell the Lightning were powerplay and Kucherov merchants this season and that's it. Very flawed team otherwise so I guess it makes sense.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Tampa outclassed by a better, hungrier Florida team. The result isn't that surprising. But I gotta say I was a bit surprised at how listless and flat Tampa looked, starting with their top players.

Kucherov constantly trying no-look back passes to nowhere like he was in a game against Chicago in January. Point seemed lost. Vasilevski didn't look great either, though it's hard to evaluate his performance given how often the players in front of him would just stand there and watch Florida do whatever they wanted. Aside from Stamkos (who may have been sparked by the possibility that it might be his last series in Tampa) that looked like a group that was satisified with the 2 Cups they got. Which doesn't really augur well for their future.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I didn't see the first GI review live, but just saw the replay & I thought it was a worse call than the 2nd.

Ultimately there was no chance for Bob on both, even without interference, not sure I like this standard.

And before FLA supporters get on me, I really like Florida's team but this standard will go against fans of every team in the league.

If its a goal the goalie had no chance on with or without the alleged 'goalie interference' I'd like to see a bit more lenience, feel like we've gone a slight bit too far.

That said on the series; Florida was the better team. Love their squad, and I think Tampa would be crazy to move on from Stammer.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Congrats Florida fans...I doubted your team and thought Tampa would be a tougher out but your team came up big....

Nice job....

Reactions: Laus723

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Florida outclassed Tampa in this one. Our one lifeline was the PP and it was horrendous.

Our D was probably the second worst in the playoffs after the Caps and it showed.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ive been hearing that propably Detroit or Penguins or Flyers could have given a better matchup.

Congrats to Panthers for advancing.

Reactions: NoVaCapsFan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hedman effort on Florida goal #1 just says it all about this current Tampa team.

I think they're done with Cooper and want him out.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Where is @bobholly39

Tampa in 9? Being generous
Good news - I'm officially on the Panthers bandwagon now. For round 2 at least.

As a Habs fan - Florida comes before Boston, so Go Panthers Go for round 2! (Leafs could still upset things, but I don't think anyone is going to hold their breath waiting on Leafs to do something good in the playoffs...)

But in all honesty - I used to make fun of Florida a lot a couple of years ago because they never won a playoff round and their goalies sucked - but I stopped doing so after last year. Outside of talking a bit of smack on Tampa's behalf this round, I thought Florida's cup run was incredibly impressive last year, as was their season this year and Bob especially has been very solid, which makes a huge difference.

Florida definitely dominated this series and deserved the win.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Those disallowed goals were awful. This league is so frustrating.

I say this as someone who hates Tampa and is happy to see them lose.

Also, I’m not shocked that Tampa’s window closed as soon as Vasi’s contract kicked in. Can’t pay a goalie that much money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad